TVH 7 days post hysterectomy: Yeast infection post op? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

7 days post hysterectomy: Yeast infection post op? 7 days post hysterectomy: Yeast infection post op?

Unread 02-05-2016, 09:26 PM
7 days post hysterectomy: Yeast infection post op?

This has been a journey. 7 days post op and I can only complain of 2 side effects. The day after surgey I had to have my bladder drained as it over filled and just didn't want to wake up to empty. I was peeing every 15mins but it was overflow and moving or coughing caused leakage. Went through lots of pads peeing myself for several hours before I could see doctor. Easy fix by doctor who drained and sent me home with self caths just in case. Bladder has been ok, although peeing is a bit slow. By 4th day I was itching badly externally. Went back to doctor who gave me Nystatin cream to apply. It's been 48 hours and I think I am finally getting some relief from the itching. He said it is likely a superficial yeast infection from surgical antibiotics. Makes sense, but I am not apt to get yeast infections as the last one was 16 years ago when I was pregnant and never since.
Anyone else get a yeast infection afterwards? Any experience with Nystatin cream and taking 2 days to feel better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-06-2016, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerdarin View Post
This has been a journey. 7 days post op and I can only complain of 2 side effects. The day after surgey I had to have my bladder drained as it over filled and just didn't want to wake up to empty. I was peeing every 15mins but it was overflow and moving or coughing caused leakage. Went through lots of pads peeing myself for several hours before I could see doctor. Easy fix by doctor who drained and sent me home with self caths just in case. Bladder has been ok, although peeing is a bit slow. By 4th day I was itching badly externally. Went back to doctor who gave me Nystatin cream to apply. It's been 48 hours and I think I am finally getting some relief from the itching. He said it is likely a superficial yeast infection from surgical antibiotics. Makes sense, but I am not apt to get yeast infections as the last one was 16 years ago when I was pregnant and never since.
Anyone else get a yeast infection afterwards? Any experience with Nystatin cream and taking 2 days to feel better?
Hey there, I had a bad yeast infection about 2-3 weeks PO. It's from all the antibiotics I was on. I didn't take nystatin. I took one potent dose of Diflucan ... Took about 4-5 days but finally subsided.
Unread 02-06-2016, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowprincess74 View Post
Hey there, I had a bad yeast infection about 2-3 weeks PO. It's from all the antibiotics I was on. I didn't take nystatin. I took one potent dose of Diflucan ... Took about 4-5 days but finally subsided.
Thanks for the reply! I'm trying to give it a few more days before I bother the doctor again. The itching sensation is just unbearable at times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-06-2016, 10:53 AM

Although I've had no personal experience with yeast infections, I would agree with what your surgeon said about surgical antibiotics; they can upset the normal, protective balance of bacteria down there, leaving you vulnerable to infections. To restore balance, I would recommend a probiotic supplememt, or regular servings of yogurt or kefir. Best wishes for your continued recovery!
Unread 02-08-2016, 12:36 PM
Re: 7 days post hysterectomy: Yeast infection post op?

Thought I would followup a little more in hopes it helps another. The Nystatin just did not seem to be helping although the itching came and went throughout the day, especially when urinating. By Sunday (day 4 on Nystatin) I had my husband get some Monostat 7 so I could use the cream externally. I alternated the Monostat on Sunday with Nystatin and while the Monostat created a very warm feeling, it seemed to help. Not sure if this was just coincidence that the Nystatin finally started working, but I feel it had to have helped.
I am hesitant to say all is well because as soon as I think I am better, I get another itch spell. Showering twice a day and thoroughly drying the area. Eating yogurt and drinking cranberry juice.
Hoping to be done with it soon!!! This would have been a piece of cake healing if it was not for this yeast!!
Unread 02-15-2016, 06:56 PM
Re: 7 days post hysterectomy: Yeast infection post op?

Further update... went back to doctor when urinating was very uncomfortable. All urine and swab tests came back negative. No yeast or bacteria anywhere. Found taking advil really helped the itching. I think I know the issue now. I believe it is nerves repairing with a side of bladder spasms. Advil stopped the itching feeling and taking AZO helped the discomfort when urinating. Slowly backing off the advil and AZO to check out if really healing and seem to be doing great.
I was so confident that I did not need pain medicine that I likely could have found relief sooner!
I also feel like this is a common side effect of TVH with cath since they really spread you open for the procedure. The cath caused the bladder spasms, especially after my bladder went into shock the day after the procedure. All doing well now....thank god!
Hope this helps other...sometimes when nerves are damaged, as they heal they can cause signals of pain or burning or itching. Give it time and try an anti-inflammatory pain med.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register