Ovulation and fibroid | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ovulation and fibroid Ovulation and fibroid

Unread 11-03-2004, 06:02 PM
Ovulation and fibroid

Hi! I'm scheduled for a hyst on 1/4/05. I've been treating for 2 years. I don't ovulate and would go without bleeding for 6 months or more. I guess the uterus couldn't take it anymore and the flood gates would open and I would bleed, bleed and bleed. I've been on a number of meds and have had numerous sonograms (transvaginal) and I was told that I have a fibroid about the size of a small apple and my uterus is a little enlarged. The last med I was on was progestrine (sp) and it seemed to do the job for awhile until I took it as scheduled in August and the "flood gates" opened in mid September. I had clots that looked like big pieces liver! When I reported the latest to my doctor at my scheduled appointment, she told me that I've suffered enough and it was time. Through another internal exam that day, she confirmed that my uterus is "high" because I haven't had children and she indicated that she may have to go thru the abdomen, but will try laprascopic and vaginaly first. I guess I won't know until I wake up and it's all over. I also have cysts on my right ovary and it was explained to me that because I dno't ovulate, the egg only gets so far and turns to the cysts...whether they disolve and start all over, I don't know. I've had them at every sonogram I've had .

I have some pain, or I would better describe it as discomfort. It's not enough to keep me from daily activities and/or sleeping, but it's just something that's always there. I do suffer from headaches daily and take at least 4 Tylenol a day. Could that be related? Also, earlier this year I seemed to go into a tailspin and was upset and sad most of the time. Couldn't stand to be around my husband or even the sound of his voice. Needless to say, I'm on Zoloft now and it does help me.

Thanks for listening. I welcome any and all replies and/or advice.

Aimster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-03-2004, 06:40 PM
Ovulation and fibroid

HI,

I can identify with your story. I was diagnosed with policystic ovary sindrome (PCO) since I was 19. According to my own personal research I found that it is caused by an overproduction of insulin, which in turn affects your hormone levels and that is why you don't release the eggs every month. When I was younger I would bleed so much I would have to wear overnight pads for three to four weeks at a time. It got to the point that I would see blood and I would start crying. It felt that there was an open faucet and there was no end to the flow. The doctor asked me once: How big are your clots? the size of a quarter? or the size of a nickel? I told him that they were bigger than the dollar coins that existed years ago. He would not believe me. He told me that all I needed to do is get pregnant. That that would sove my problems. I replied to him: " if I don't ovulate, how do you expect me to get pregnant" I changed doctors after that.

I hope your surgery helps you and your mood. I was very depressed at the time also. I'm handling my moods better now but I've had to learn that that is part of my condition and I when I feel down, I ask my husband and my pshycologis to help me get better.

My surgery is Dec. 16. In addition to the PCO I have endo, and fibroids.

Thank you for sharing your story. It helped me a lot.

Sincerely,
Unread 11-04-2004, 04:47 AM
Ovulation and fibroid

HI Dana...it was good to read your email. I ck'd into the PCO online as I have never heard of it. Not one of my drs over the years have suggested PCO to me! Now, I'm wondering if I even need the hyst? Is there treatment for PCO? Maybe I can live with the fibroid.....or am I just getting scared?

Thanks
Aimster (Amy)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-04-2004, 06:06 AM
Ovulation and fibroid

Hi Aimster,

I am fortunate to not have experienced the lengthy heavy bleeding. But I do have fibroids (at least 3, one of which is pedunculated - on a stalk on the outside of my uterus).

I have heavy, clot-like bleeding and extremely high "discomfort" during my first 2 days of my menstrual cycle. I have the headaches and the raw emotions you mentioned as well! I also experience some type of pain in the uterine area almost daily - but it is nothing that interferes with daily activities.

It's always nice to hear someone else is experiencing what you are too - makes me feel like I'm not blaming all my physical complaints on the fibroids!

Hopefully we'll be relieved of all the ailments after surgery!
~Tammy
Unread 11-04-2004, 06:37 PM
ovulation and fibriods

Aimster,

I'm so glad you posted your story! I have had much the same problem since January. I only missed one cycle , but after that my bleeding has been very prolonged and very heavy with large clots. (You're right, they look like pieces of liver, some quite large). Sometimes I can't leave the bathroom for quite a while and soak through pads 2-3 times/hour.

My doctor did a D/C to quell the bleeding after a 34 day period in June and then put me on Provera in August. I went two months before bleeding straight through the Provera for 24 days, when my GP discovered that I was borderline anemic and iron deficient. That was when my GYN said, lets do another D/C and put you on iron supplements. He also suggested I consider a hysterectomy.

I am 44 yrs old and he said that I had already put up with more than many of his patients do and that I need to think about whether I can tolerate this type of rollercoaster of emotions and physical stress for another 7+years before hitting menopause. He also found endometrial hyperplasia on the first D/C and is concerned about my risk of endometrial cancer now and in the future. He is wonderful, telling me it is all up to me and he will continue to regulate the bleeding, trying progesterone and D/C's, as long as I don't develop life-threatening conditions or cancer. I also have two "large" fibroids that I feel a lot of pressure from and the pressure seems to increase just before and during my bleeding, sometimes causing urinary incontinence and painful BM.

At this time, my bleeding is under control and I am using a bio-identical progesterone (Prometrium) in hopes of keeping it under control. After reading your post and writing this one, the extremes of what we have both been through are coming back to me. After finding this site and using the resources it provides, I have made a list of questions so that when the time comes, I can have a calm, productive meeting with my GYN to make the best choice for me. Knowledge is power and it has helped me to feel more in control of this situation, instead of letting it control me.

Currently I am also on antidepressants for a chronic depression I suffered 18 months ago. I am glad that I stayed on them, considering the stress all of this has caused. I think they help me to think clearly and react in a rational manner to all of this. You mentioned headaches every day...could they be a side-effect of the Zoloft or any of the hormones you were on? Just a thought.

Best of luck to you and all the best for a speedy recovery.

Maggiemay84
Unread 11-04-2004, 07:32 PM
Ovulation and fibroid

HI Aimster

My doctor tells me that If I wanted to ovulate, he could get me into some hormones that would help me. However, I don't know if there is a treatment for PCOs. I would suggest you ask your doctor about what is best for you. I've tried many doctors before I found one that really understood my condition. He is a GYN only not a OB/GYN, so he specializes in women conditions and that, I think has made all the difference in the world.

Educating yourself is also a good way to explore your options. Whenever I see my doctor I have my list of questions with me along with printouts of my own www research. He is sometimes sorprised that I do that but that helps me make informed decisions.

Let me know how you are doing and what you decide to do.

Take care,

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register