Constipation 5 days post hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Constipation 5 days post hysterectomy Constipation 5 days post hysterectomy

Unread 07-19-2014, 03:58 PM
Constipation 5 days post hysterectomy

I've read all the things on here about constipation but cannot get any relief. I've been drinking prune juice and using dulcolax suppositories which is what it said on my hospital discharge paper. I'm miserable and don't know what else to do. Please help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-19-2014, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy_Marie View Post
I've read all the things on here about constipation but cannot get any relief. I've been drinking prune juice and using dulcolax suppositories which is what it said on my hospital discharge paper. I'm miserable and don't know what else to do. Please help
Milk of magnesium is very good in getting you going. I used glyceryn suppositories for just a lil while at first. I still take an occasional colace at nite before bed to help ease things. I quit eating bread along with the other foods that constipate. I havent had any bread now for 12 weeks! Just keep trying different things. Some like senna tea. Also I would put a heating pad on my belly for a lil while in the morning along with drinking my morning coffee and that works really good. I also make sure I take a good probiotic everyday to help the good bacterias that live in the digestive system. Dont worry too much. Things will get going with time. If one thing doesnt work try another. I never had to do an enema. Some do tho if its really bad. But I would not recomend it right now. Yogurts and lots of fruit and raw veggies are also very good to eat. I try to do that myself. Wishing you a wonderful recovery. From a Tx hyst sis.
Unread 07-19-2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvstocruise View Post
Milk of magnesium is very good in getting you going. I used glyceryn suppositories for just a lil while at first. I still take an occasional colace at nite before bed to help ease things. I quit eating bread along with the other foods that constipate. I havent had any bread now for 12 weeks! Just keep trying different things. Some like senna tea. Also I would put a heating pad on my belly for a lil while in the morning along with drinking my morning coffee and that works really good. I also make sure I take a good probiotic everyday to help the good bacterias that live in the digestive system. Dont worry too much. Things will get going with time. If one thing doesnt work try another. I never had to do an enema. Some do tho if its really bad. But I would not recomend it right now. Yogurts and lots of fruit and raw veggies are also very good to eat. I try to do that myself. Wishing you a wonderful recovery. From a Tx hyst sis.
Thanks so much for the encouragement. I actually tried milk of mag yesterday and couldn't even tell. Been using the glycerin too but only helps with gas which is a plus too usually if I have ever had an issue the milk of mag works awesome. I've been drinking lots of liquids so hopefully it will get better soon. Thinking I would feel like a new woman if I could just go.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-19-2014, 05:04 PM
Re: Constipation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy_Marie View Post
I suggest taking Colace two or three times a day and drinking lots of liquid. It took me days to go and then even more time for the BMs to become consistent again. Don't worry, it will happen.
Unread 07-19-2014, 05:13 PM

Did you have a bowel prep before? If so, it can take a while to get enough in there to move out. It has only 5 days (ya, I know you don't feel like that though). That is not so long. It might take a while for the bowels to wake back up. If it gets too bad, there are others here have resorted going to the ER.

Do you feel you have to go, or just feel uncomfortable? Do you feel like it is just right there at the rectum but won't move out? Using suppositories, I would think if there was stuff there it would move out. I find I have to lean back (my mother use to but never knew why). I know he detached my bowel from the uterus but evidently whatever he did, I have a BM easier leaning back. Weird I know.

Try to relax, cause stress over it can make it worse. As said, heating pads on stomach and I do my back too.
Unread 07-19-2014, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlotteel View Post
Did you have a bowel prep before? If so, it can take a while to get enough in there to move out. It has only 5 days (ya, I know you don't feel like that though).
That is not so long. It might take a while for the bowels to wake back up. If it gets too bad, there are others here have resorted going to the ER.

Do you feel you have to go, or just feel uncomfortable? Do you feel like it is just right there at the rectum but won't move out? Using suppositories, I would think if there was stuff there it would move out. I find I have to lean back (my mother use to but never knew why). I know he detached my bowel from the uterus but evidently whatever he did, I have a BM easier leaning back. Weird I know.

Try to relax, cause stress over it can make it worse. As said, heating pads on stomach and I do my back too.
No my dr actually told my mom when he came out after the surgery that It looked like I was a little constipated already. I have went twice very small amounts. Feels like it is right there and just will not budge. It's even hard to pass gas unless I am on the toilet and have used a suppository. I'm trying not to stress it's just hard. I'm only 28 and everyone acted like this would be a piece of cake cause I am young. But I'm in a lot of pain. I can usually take a pretty good deal of pain, I had my kids with no epidural completely natural. But this is bad. Thanks everyone
Unread 07-19-2014, 05:36 PM

I had problems also. I had 2 little poops stuck and I had to get the out manually.. TMI. Once I did that and with milk of mag and prune juice and stool softener, it was great. I had a bowel prep and I think not all of it came out then....
Unread 07-19-2014, 09:23 PM
Re: Constipation 5 days post hysterectomy

3rd day after surgery I had about 3 days of small BM's. Then I went 5 days and like you could feel it right there at the anus but would not come out. For about two weeks I would have 'dig' out the compacted poop right at the anus then the rest came. It is a dirty job, but if you go to the ER that is what they do. This was not the first time I have had to. I use to have spastic colon so would go 10-14 days between BM's then it would all come at once. In the 90s I went through counseling and that stopped but would still go days. When I started taking supplements especially fish oil I started having daily BMs but sometimes I would strain so hard to get that first stuff out I was afraid I would stroke out there on the toilet. That is when I started 'digging' it out to get it going. I did it those for a couple weeks after surgery and know is working more like it should. I also notice if I skip a day, then it can happen again. I am trying not to strain so my insides can heal good. If it means a little smelly duty to avoid that, then I will. I just have to make sure my finger nail is cut short so I don't tear anything in there.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register