Swelly belly band? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Swelly belly band? Swelly belly band?

Unread 03-15-2006, 04:39 PM
Swelly belly band?

A lot of women have recommended the swelly belly band, which sooths the incision by chilling it. Sounds great, but people also say here that you should use heat, not ice, after surgery to bring blood to the area and speed healing. So is the swelly belly band ok? I want to get one, but I think I slowed my hernia repair last month by using an ice pack past the first day (I didn't understand somehow when they said it was good at first, but then I should switch to heat to speed healing.) So I'm a little worried that the swelly belly band, which you chill, might slow healing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-15-2006, 06:07 PM
Swelly belly band?

I'm not 100% sure on this but I've always tried to alternate the two. Like, try ice for 15 minutes to half hour and then switch and then take a break from the two. I won't have a big incision, just 3-4 smaller ones. I have a large soft ice pack with a flannel type cover from an old auto accident and I plan to use that and alternate with the heating pad. Hope this helps. Maybe someone else will be a little more knowledgable.

I've only seen a few of us on here that share the same surgery date so far. Tell me, do you find yourself just going along and thinking of all you need to get done and then WHAM! It suddenly hits you that it's only a few weeks away and you have a sense of panic? Just wondering if it's just me so far.
I think I'm just over-anxious about it all.
Unread 03-15-2006, 06:43 PM
Swelly belly band?

I asked my dr about the swelly belly band and he said I would get a binder thingy in the hospital. SO I guess I will try that first. I did buy the hyster sister pillow that has the straps. (I think it is a good idea to have straps so I can use my foot to loop around a strap if it falls on the floor.)

I have one week left until the castle. Today I am remarkably calm. (In fact at my preop appt, my blood pressure was 110/70 which is awesome for me!) But I am sure each day that it gets closer, I will start to get more nervous. I have a ton to do. I need to pick up some things for the hospital, I want to organize my pantry so the things I will need will be at eye level, want to clean out my kitchen drawers too since my daughters first communion is 5 weeks after surgery and I won't have time/energy after the surgery to do those things. Still want to find a caterer too for the party. I plan on relaxing in the weeks after the castle.

Anyway, I hope your surgery goes smoothly! Hugs Raymo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-16-2006, 07:29 AM
Swelly belly band?

Thanks! Good luck with your surgery--and with your daughter's first communion party.
Unread 03-16-2006, 10:34 AM
Swelly belly band?

The band is awesome!, you can just use it dry without "activating" it. (soaking in water) I love it, still using it!
Unread 03-16-2006, 02:54 PM
Swelly belly band?

I asked my doc about the swelly belly band and she didn't want me using it. She didn't want any binding going on! She did say to use a heat pad when I felt like it and I did. My bikini incision was nicely closed and mended at about one week and now looks like a fine pink line. I was in the hospital 8 days because of complications and brought my own heat pad there. I never had problems with picking up things from the floor, using the stairs, getting in and out of bed etc. It might be uncomfortable, but not impossible. My doctor assured me that my incision wouldn't pop open and I wouldn't come apart! That's what I was worried about!! LOL I say use whatever products feel good to you. Some people may need binding, a pillow and a grabber and others won't. Some will use ice and others heat. Whatever works for you is the trick! Good luck with your surgery and a speedy recovery for you all.

Mar
Unread 03-18-2006, 01:14 PM
Swelly belly band?

Thanks Tiva! (regarding the first communion party). I have written out the invitations already-just have to mail them, and picked 2 caterers to choose from. I have the kids outfits ready and the communion dress for my daughter ordered (just waiting for it to arrive). Still need some little details but not too much.

My surgery is in 4 days. Now I am starting to get that panicky feeling in my chest. ugh! Hugs Raymo
Unread 03-18-2006, 03:22 PM
Swelly belly band?

I just popped on the board to check out some post-surgery info... way post as I had my surgery a year and a half ago... and wanted to add my two cents to the swelly belly band. IT IS THE BEST!!!!! I used it for months after the surgery for relief. I had two of them so one would always be cold. I cannot tell you how necessary they are. A true blessing as you are hanging out waiting to fell better. Good luck. Life after hysterectomy is wonderful!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register