3 days post hysterectomy: no BM yet, Need advice asap - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

3 days post hysterectomy: no BM yet,  Need advice asap 3 days post hysterectomy: no BM yet, Need advice asap

Unread 04-20-2014, 07:13 AM
Re: 3 days post hysterectomy: no BM yet, Need advice asap

Today is day 3 post and I had a BM this AM woo hoo...I want to go outside and shout it from the roof!!! I still have catheter in, I was unable to urinate and went into retention twice while still in hospital. Will have it removed tomorrow and hoping to be able to go on my own, that's my next hurdle but just want to focus on my success today...did I already woo hoo. If it is of any help to anyone...before and after my surgery I started my day with a shake of one banana, cup of raspberry's, 1tbsp flax seeds, cup water, splash of lemon, 1 tbsp. of almond butter and 1/4 cup spinach along with taking three tabs of stool softener during the day. TMI maybe but everything just slid out smooth. good luck to everyone....wish me luck peeing tomorrow!! Happy Easter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-20-2014, 08:48 AM

I ate 2 servings of prunes on an empty stomach, drank a cup of hot coffee, then ate some raisin bran, and then used a glycerin suppository. That did the trick.
The glycerin suppositories have become my best friend because my bowels are still having a hard time "settling down" since surgery. I find without the suppository I just don't get the "urge." Perhaps that TMI, but it's true...and I'm still having lower bowel pain (kind of like razor blades) when I do have a BM. I'll be glad when things get back to normal.
Unread 04-20-2014, 09:20 AM

My mom swore that dried apricots were the answer and she was right! I ate a few every couple of hours along with taking a normal dose of stool softeners and I finally went a few hours later. Lots of water and walking helped too. Momma knows best!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-20-2014, 11:13 AM

I noticed no one here mentioned Senna. Senna is the very best laxative I have ever used. It's a gentle vegetable laxative. I buy Smooth Move (senna) tea and cold brew it in large batches in my fridge. I mix a few ounces in with water, juice, smoothies --- everything. I also started colace in the hospital. I was worried I would be backed up, and I admit I did not go until Day 3 post-op, but it was fine. Copious, but not painful at all. Went again a little later that day, went again yesterday and today.

Another tip is that too much fiber can back you up too. Got to find balance. Water is essential. I am guessing I drink 4 liters a day right now. I am 5 days post radical da vinci hysterectomy.

Good luck!
Unread 04-20-2014, 03:17 PM

wow.. Glad all you ladies are having success with the Poo.. I have now done two suppositories, more MOM. 3 stool softners a day. apple juice, apple sauce, dried prunes and strained for 45 minutes this morning for a pebble. My tummy is so huge and my back is in a lot of pain now. I have herniated disk and the bloating is not helping, I need to go!!!!! think I will try raisin bran next..frustrated
Unread 04-20-2014, 03:39 PM

My doctor said MOM twice a day.

I pooped day 4 but surprised by the continued problems. My uterus was sitting on my bowel not sure that is the problem but things don't seem to be working well, bowel wise, even though I am pooping.
Unread 04-20-2014, 04:34 PM

I used to have problems with constipation before surgery until I learned that orange juice with pulp helps. My hubby got me some the day I came home from hospital, worked like a charm. Only had to use the colace a few days. Had a bm the 2nd day and at least one everyday since. But I can tell if I don't drink the OJ. Remember it has to be not from concentrate with pulp! Hope that helps.
Unread 04-21-2014, 12:45 AM

GNC shakes.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register