6 days post hysterectomy: No BM | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

6 days post hysterectomy: No BM 6 days post hysterectomy: No BM

Unread 02-13-2016, 11:43 AM
6 days post hysterectomy: No BM

Hi all
I'm on day 6 after having a Da Vinci assisted hysterectomy. (Kept ovaries) on Monday.
I am concerned about the whole BM thing. Constipation and incomplete bowel movements is what led me to this decision (turned out I had fibroids causing pressure on those parts.
My doctors assures me all will be great now! But when?
I'm worried since I've been taking colase 3times a day, stewed prunes with oatmeal in the am, yogurt, bran muffin, lunch. Light dinners, chicken soup, eggs, last night I tried a little broccoli and cauliflower with my tilapia. And wild rice. ( all very little bites, mostly fish ) I had an appetite. Today I just feel like I took a step back, feeling bloated and cramps, and not in the mood to eat...
Just looking to see if any one experienced and was as nervous. I know thinking about it too much , is also part of the problem, but how can you not?!
Also, when it does happen, whAt should I expect? I'm so afraid of having to push and not being able too! Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2016, 12:27 PM

I don't think the broccoli and cauliflower were such a good idea; like other cabbage relatives, they're high in poorly digested carbohydrates, which likely contributed to the bloating. Other foods in this category include legumes, onions and garlic, cucumbers, melons, pears, and artificial sweeteners. To get things moving, and to get rid of the bloating, regular exercise has always been my doctor's top recommendation, so make sure you're taking those daily walks; fennel seeds and peppermint tea can also help with the bloating. What also got things moving for me, in addition to peppermint tea with my morning prunes, was a green smoothie with cherries and ground flaxseeds as an afternoon snack. Greens are high in magnesium, which can help to get things moving; also try a magnesium supplement, or enjoy some dark chocolate, another excellent source. To avoid straining, eat more insoluble fibre to bulk up your stools, and drink plenty of water to soften them. Also try sitting on the toilet with your knees drawn into your chest, and your feet elevated on a low stool; this straightens the rectum, so the poop can pass through without straining. Best wishes for your continued recovery!
Unread 02-14-2016, 02:17 PM
Re: 6 days post hysterectomy: No BM

Thank you for your input
I'm feeling better and staying away from gaseous foods as much as possible... Hard when your mom is living with you and cooking. Tonight she's planning on Turkey Chili - I know not a good idea just yet.
But from your experience, are we not expected to push at all?
Sorry if too much TMI, but I feel it is right at the door, but I'll only produce a thumb size, if that. And that was by rocking and in squatty potty position.
I've suffered with constipation on and off for most my life. Rarely did I have movements that just dropped out of me. But is that what is expected? Absolutely no pushing? I'm so afraid when it does decide to come out I will have to.
Also were you ever given a time frame of how many days are too many before calling Doctor?
Even though I expressed my concerns to the doctor up to the night before surgery, he really didn't stress a bowel prep before hand.
I feel like I have poop backed up in me since Christmas LOL! How much can our intestines hold!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2016, 02:38 PM

At this point it might be a good idea to try a gentle laxative or maybe an enema to get things moving. You don't want to take something that will cause cramping. You will have pain with BM's especially if they are not soft but unfortunately you have to go. If you are still on a narcotic that could be contributing to the constipation and it would be better to switch to something like ibuprofen. My mom was a chronic pain pt on narcotics and we dealt with terrible constipation. One thing that helped her greatly was using Miralax daily. And be sure to drink a lot of fluids. For me coffee usually has a laxative effect, also.

Do stay away from the gassy foods as they will increase your discomfort. Also oatmeal can be constipating. Try some applesauce and fruits instead for your fiber. 6 days is a long time if you didn't have a bowel prep before surgery and you don't want to run the risk of an obstruction. If things don't improve overnight, I'd contact your surgeon in the am.
Unread 02-14-2016, 03:06 PM

Thanks Molly Bear!
Who new oatmeal would be constipating arghh!
I will call my doctor in the am for sure.
Unread 02-14-2016, 05:01 PM

I didnt go til day 6! I drank tons of water also took senokat and dulcolax. And i finally went. It didnt hurt. Trust me it will happen!!
Unread 02-14-2016, 06:57 PM

Thanks Lacy77
Did you take on your own, or ask the doctor?
I think I'm just worried I have an imactayion or something, and wouldn't a laxative make the situation worse? But maybe only way to know is just do it Ohy!
Unread 02-14-2016, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCallias View Post
Thanks Lacy77
Did you take on your own, or ask the doctor?
I think I'm just worried I have an imactayion or something, and wouldn't a laxative make the situation worse? But maybe only way to know is just do it Ohy!
I called my dr and that's what they recommended. I definitely heard my tummy making tons of noise so i knew it was ready! Lol
Unread 02-14-2016, 09:31 PM

Ok thanks, calling tomorrow

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register