Driving Car??????????? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Driving Car??????????? Driving Car???????????

Unread 05-03-2007, 03:35 AM
Driving Car???????????

Had my TAH/BSO the 26th Vertical incision and wondering about driving. Forgot to ask thr DR yesterday......
What has been the norm for most of you in the same boat???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2007, 03:43 AM
Driving Car???????????

I don't think there is a norm. I was told at 2 weeks, if I was off my pain meds, I could drive. That was after seeing the Dr, so not a unseen clearance.

There are others on here who are told no driving for 6 weeks.

I think there are major concerns about accidents or potential accidents where you might have to hit the brake hard. That would be a lot of stress on new incisions.

Cal your Dr and see what they say.

Julie
Unread 05-03-2007, 03:46 AM
Driving Car???????????

I saw the PA for staple removal yesterday and she said no driving, check with the doc at your 2 week post op appointment for a time certain. She said my husband should take the afternoon off work 5/2 when my appointment is so he could drive.
Originally, the doc did tell me I could not drive for 2 weeks at my pre op 2 page question session.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2007, 04:18 AM
Driving Car???????????

I was told by my surgeon no driving for 2 weeks after the op. I was also given extra instructions by the nurse discharging me on Sunday. She said I could not drive at all while I remain on narcotics and then after that I have to be able to hit the brake hard if I need to, she said to bear that in mind with my extra back problems as I may need to leave the driving a bit longer.
Unread 05-03-2007, 04:43 AM
Driving Car???????????

I was orginally told not to drive for 4 to 6 weeks - at my 4 week check up, he said to wait another week or two.

Driving uses lots of abd muscles - you would be surprised what it takes to push on the brakes. Also, turning to look behind you pulls on your tummy.

The first couple of times I drove, I had to sit in my car to gather the energy to get into the house.

Just don't push it - take your time - listen to your body, check with your doctor.

Once you start, only drive for short trips at first. See how you feel and the next time, you can go further.

Don't be in a hurry to be independant! This is a very important part of your recovery and you must give your body time to heal properly and fully.

Hang in there - it DOES get better!

Mary Beth
Unread 05-03-2007, 05:33 AM
Driving Car???????????

Mary Beth -

You aren't kidding about driving and fatigue. The 1st time I drive was a day or 2 after 2 weeks. I went to get a coffee and to the bank to make a deposit. All in all about 25 minutes out of the house and maybe 7 miles of driving. I was whipped when I got home. That was one of the few days after my 1st week that I took a real nap.

Julie
Unread 05-03-2007, 06:26 AM
Driving Car???????????

Kathim .... my doctor told me to wait 2 weeks. I waited 13 days ... was going stir crazy. Just made a short trip to the office, took the back roads (I live in the country) and just took my time. I have since been in to town and back, too. I found that I was very tender when I got home from both trips due to the rough roads and being bounced around. It is kind of hard to turn and look over either shoulder, too.
Unread 05-03-2007, 10:26 AM
Driving Car???????????

I was told 2 weeks initially but when I went in for my 2 week post-op my gyn wanted me to wait a bit more. My bladder was still building up some random intense spasms & with this happening she was concerned that a quick, hard depression of the brake pedal would bring on more pain. The concern is that the body will instinctively try to stop an action that is causing pain - thus, slam on brakes to avoid accident, let off brake pedal for pain, get in accident anyways. I'm three weeks out & am finally driving. Yesterday was my first day where I spent about 1 hour driving & it definitely made me a little tender. If I were you, I'd wait till your 2 week check & see what the doc says.

Good luck!
Sue
Unread 05-03-2007, 11:06 AM
Driving Car???????????

I was released to drive at my 4-wk post-op appointment. My DH had driven me to the appointment, so I took advantage of having a back-up driver and started the drive home. We made one stop on the way, and that was enough for me. DH drove me home, and I waited another week to try again. I finally drove, meaning I did several errands, grocery store, etc. about 6 1/2 weeks post-op. This is so variable for every sister - every surgery is different, and every body heals in its own time. Just because you have been released for an activity does not mean it will be comfortable to do - always pay attention to your own body and proceed with caution.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register