PostOp Headaches? When do they stop? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

PostOp Headaches? When do they stop? PostOp Headaches? When do they stop?

Unread 03-11-2011, 03:09 PM
PostOp Headaches? When do they stop?

10 days post op and I can't seem to get rid of this headache that's been plaguing me since getting home from the hospital. Maybe all the meds? Hormones changing?? I don't know.

Anyone else experience the post-op headache? How did you get rid of it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-11-2011, 05:26 PM
Re: PostOp Headaches? When do they stop?

OmigosH! Yes! That was the worst part for me...the headaches!! I finally took two Excedrin Migraines tablets and I completely turned the corner! It took me out of the grave!! If you can take aspirin I would recommend Excedrin Migraine tabs!! It was the ONLY thing that helped me!! You might want to try an ice cap to the top of your head?
Unread 03-11-2011, 07:33 PM

Hi there. I had daily headaches for the first 6 weeks or so. I think it was due to the changes in hormone levels, medications and just plain recovery.

If it's too troublesome, definitely ask your doctor about it. But, for me, it eventually stopped.

I hope you feel better soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-11-2011, 07:48 PM

I've had several, but my migraine medicine took care of them. So I'm not sure if they were related to surgery or just more of my usual migraines. They did feel a little different than my normal migraines, but I don't know...
Unread 03-12-2011, 01:42 PM

I have a history of migraines.I had pfo surgery,gone to a chiropractor and figured out my trigger foods so they were mostly under control until I had the hysterectomy and now I am miserable.My dr warned this may happen if he had to take both ovaries which he did as they both had cysts.I am currently on the vivelle dot but its not helping.
My nurse said I may have to see headache doc again?? I know what causes my headaches,they are definitely hormonal..
Unread 03-12-2011, 02:06 PM

Been getting bad headaches as well, not something I've regularly experienced. I wish I'd had some warning but it does seem I've had to pry a lot of info from my doc - like my post-op on Friday- she was trying to shake my hand and skedaddle and I was trying to desperately ask questions that she obviously didn't have time for. I finally qave up and let her leave. I've noticed, today, a great deal (sorry, complaint shift) of swelling in my legs, ankles, and feet, however I HAVE had this before and it was brought on by Ibuprofen, one of the meds I have to switch to since they don't want me on Percoset any longer. All in all this has been a very rough weekend and I'm once more anxious at returning to work on Monday even though my surgery was on Feb. 25th.
Unread 03-13-2011, 03:17 PM

I completely stopped taking all my medication yesterday except for my antibiotics. The change from yesterday to today has been huge! Yesterday, I was nauseous and badly crampy, crying constantly, and terrified I couldn't go to work on Monday. Both legs and feet were badly swollen and I was a mess.

Today, I have very little pain, no nausea, no cramps, and the swelling is going down. I've been in a great mood all day and when I HAVE taken Percoset to ease me through some pain, it actually works again!

I will never take Ibuprofen again. Twice now it's screwed me up and something that effects the body that severely can never be healthy. I'm going to try Aleve a little bit later and see how it works for pain management.
Unread 03-14-2011, 12:09 AM

hi sisters! i just wanted to mention that i too had headaches after surgery. when i went for my 2 week post op appt. i mentioned it to dr. and he asked if i was drinking water. i told him not as much as i had been..he asked if i was dizzy when i got up and i told him yes. he then told me i was probably dehydrated and that i should drink lots of water. so i came home and did just that!! havent had but maybe 1 headache since then...so i thought it was worth mentioning to ya all!!

oh i am not prone to migraine so i dont know much about any of that! good luck and i hope you are feeling better soon.

Unread 03-14-2011, 06:53 AM

Hi all! I also wanted to mention that I never have a headache unless I'm getting sick so when I had them for 3 days post-op I was VERY concerned that I would be plagued with them from here on out.... A friend of mine also suggested that the headaches could be from narcotic withdrawal. (I had a PCA pump of Morphine while in the hospital). I had bad headaches with nausea for 3 days. That's when I couldn't stand it anymore! I tried everything in the cabinet....and then....the excedrin......whew! RELIEF!!! After the 3rd day.....no more headaches except minimal ones and the excedrin kicked there butt......and now I'm not taking any meds except for Motrin once in awhile.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register