Oh no not another one! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Oh no not another one! Oh no not another one!

Unread 10-19-2006, 11:55 PM
Oh no not another one!

As a nurse I'd like to thank you call light tooters...you have no idea how much stuff like that lightens up a looong 12hr shift. Remember...we're talking about NURSES here...we discuss diarrhea and nasty wound infections over lunch, it takes an aweful lot to offend us. We're a strange breed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-20-2006, 12:46 AM
Oh no not another one!

Mystik,

I can assure you that we aren't the only two shaking and crying on and off. It's all very normal.

Sometimes when my posts get silly, it's just my way of dealing with my nerves. I always find a good laugh very soothing.

And inan, good to know, cause Im happy to oblige. In fact I might ask for a specimen cup so I can save it. So when the Dr asks, I can tell him, "yep, sure did and I saved it for you too!"
Unread 10-20-2006, 03:50 AM
Oh no not another one!

Ahart,

Thanks! I keep telling myself its normal but the tears keep flowing. My husband just keeps looking at me like I lost my mind. I will just cry and cry then bam before you know what happened I am fine and looking around like nothing was wrong. The doctor said it no doubt has a lot to do with the hormone pills they gave me before we decided on the surgery and of course then of course my nerves. But, I find myself want to smack me and tell myself to get over it so I can just image what my family thinks. However, I know deep down all will be well especially now that I found this website!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-20-2006, 05:02 AM
Oh no not another one!

On a serious note it is unlikely you will be allowed to eat until your bowel sounds have started up. The aneasthetic puts them to sleep and you will usually be fed via an IV until they wake up. The tooting is an idication they are awake. it was 36 hours before I was even allowed a cup of tea or food. Do not underestimate the digestive issues you may have in the few days after the hyst. Please do not fake anything just to go home as you really do only have one chance to heal right. Also, I was told up front that I would be in hospital for a minimum of 4 days with an abdominal incision and i actually ended up staying for 7 days due to an internal bleed. BTW I am very fit, not over weight and had no other health problems apart from the dreaded fibroids. My understanding was that an abdominal hyst usually meant a 3 - 5 day hospital stay. I am amazed they are suggesting you could go home the following day.
Unread 10-20-2006, 06:20 AM
Oh no not another one!

Oh ladies can I please caution you all here.....if your doctor or the nurses say that you must either pass gas or whatever before you can go, do NOT lie and tell them that you are, just so you can go home! Trust me the last thing you want to do is be home and not be able to pass gas. The pain is excrutiating and I would say that many of the sisters will tell you that it is one of the worst parts of this if you can't pass it. The staff is asking for a reason and your doctor has set this restriction for a reason. Keep in mind that most of the nurses will tell you that if you can turn at all, even a little, onto your left side that it is easier to pass gas (its an anatomy thing! lol) and when you do fart, it feels great!

The next great thing is finally doing that first poop and since it is a question asked over and over on post-op, ask your doctor how long is too long in his opinion for you to not go. Some doctors say 3 days and some say 5 so ask your doctor. Read the hints above on what to have at home post-surg. Most of us have used some kind of stool softener (they give them at the hospital too) and Gas-X. Makes a world of difference!

We are all so used to being independent and doing it our way and I am in no way trying to scare you but rather caution you.....the medical staff has criteria for a reason. Far better to say "I can't pass gas" and get an extra Gas-X or something to move things along in the hospital and go home 4 hours later versus going home, being in agony, and not knowing what to do.

best of luck to all of you!
K
Unread 10-20-2006, 06:41 AM
Oh no not another one!

My roommate was passing gas without inhibition, very prolifically to say the least.
The nurses just assumed it took two to create the noxious atmosphere in the room, so I just left without passing the precious fumes they so badly want from us.
Another option, hide an aging lab under your bed. Then blame it on yourself.
shaden3
Unread 10-20-2006, 10:29 AM
Oh no not another one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaden3
My roommate was passing gas without inhibition, very prolifically to say the least.
The nurses just assumed it took two to create the noxious atmosphere in the room, so I just left without passing the precious fumes they so badly want from us.
Another option, hide an aging lab under your bed. Then blame it on yourself.
shaden3

I had to laugh at that one. I am so petrified of staying in the hospital. Honestly, I am 10x more scared of that than the surgery itself.

I am going to do my best, to comply with everything they tell me. I am going to try and stay calm and relaxed and do what is best for my body. I think knowing the Dr is willing to let me go, and will let me go as soon as he feels I can handle it, will help. In other words I know Im not doomed to spend 4 or 5 days, then maybe if I have to stay a few extra it wont be so bad. I can't say for sure how I will feel after.

I'm not saying I wouldn't fake it to get out, Im sorry to say I probably would... but I am going to TRY my best to let one rip naturally. I have always enjoyed tooting, in fact around my house it's a past-time we all rather enjoy Yes even the dog!

Thank you all for your input. Don't worry, I will do my best. I know faking it isn't in my best interest, and I will only do that as a last resort.

Unread 10-20-2006, 01:45 PM
Oh no not another one!

I had to toot to be able to go home, too.

It was weird...it was like the gas could not find it's way out at first. All this rumbling....going nowhere.

Whoever said they're bringing Gas-x, DON'T DO IT. I think that stuff keeps you from breaking wind...
Unread 10-20-2006, 02:10 PM
A fun way to "pass" the time

My nurses were most insistent that I be able to pass gas before I could eat, so I made up a sign that said "Will Toot for Food". Kept me busy at least. And, trust me, when it is ready to come, it will with no inhibition.

I think it was maybe that afternoon after my surgery--I really don't remember. (Morphine drips are such a lovely way to forget all those details.) I know that I had Starbucks coffee the next morning, so I was already cleared for eating by then.

The whole BM thing is another story and that usually takes several days to get that worked out. As someone else said, stool softners, prunes, GasX, whatever it takes to get over that hurdle you should consider.
Unread 10-26-2006, 02:30 AM
Oh no not another one!

NO BEANS!!!!!!!!!! Yes you need to pass gas so they know that you are progressing and that your intestines are working, but have you any idea how it hurts?!?!?!?!? Sisters ...
Think of the bowels moving along the side of the stiches... PAINFUL!!!!
But it does feel good once it is out...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register