Had Pre Op appt. today and have a question... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Had Pre Op appt. today and have a question... Had Pre Op appt. today and have a question...

Unread 03-24-2010, 02:01 PM
Had Pre Op appt. today and have a question...

I asked my doctor today about HRT since I am 33 and will not have my ovaries. He said that he wanted to wait and see if I had any symptoms before he gave me any. He said I might not need any, but if I did he wants to be careful what hormones he prescribes because of endometriosis. Does this sound right? He said some would make the endometriosis grow. Just asking, I am scheduled for my laproscopic total hysterectomy on Tuesday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-24-2010, 02:06 PM
Re: Had Pre Op appt. today and have a question...

i have/ had endo too - my doc was going to do Depo-Provera instead of normal "hormones" if he saw a lot of endo as normal HRT can make endo grow, apparently. Luckily i didn't have a lot of endo, just a lot of scarring & adhesions - so i got started on a big ol' HRT patch 4 hours after surgery ( that's when the hot flashes kicked in). so far so good on Vivelle patch 0.1 dose.
Hope that helps & best wishes to you!
Unread 03-24-2010, 02:06 PM

If he gets all the endo out the estrogen should not make it grow if its all gone!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-24-2010, 02:53 PM

i'll be 36 for my hyst next week and will have my ovaries removed too, so my dr is going to put a patch on me as soon as my surgery is over... i'll be starting the vivelle dot, but i'm not sure what dosage...
Unread 03-24-2010, 02:58 PM

The tricky thing about endo is it can "hide" as a very small speck anywhere But I haven't had issues yet - biggest thing is to know your body & keep working w/ your doc on your hormones & any other issues you may have. Endo can come back - so make sure to communicate w/ your doc if you later seem to have those symptoms again.
As I mentioned, so far the 0.1 Vivelle is working great for me - no flashes, sweats, etc. No skin or hair issues, no emotional rollercoaster. I'll update when I go to the lower dose ( fingers crossed)
Unread 03-24-2010, 03:40 PM

Yes, what your doctor says makes alot of sense. Estrogen can feed on endo and cause it to grow. Many doctors are very careful when prescribing estrogen to their endo patients.Some doctors will make their patients wait a certain period of time after surgery before allowing estrogen in the hopes that any remaining endo will be starved without estrogen to feed it. There are some doctors who will also prescribe progesterone go go along with the estrogen to help offset the effects of estrogen on endo.

You can read more about Endo in our Resources section https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/lin...o=browse&cid=6

Best wishes to you on your upcoming surgery.

Unread 03-24-2010, 03:48 PM

Thanks! I think it will be a wait and see. Because I am not 100% sure I have endo but I know I have LOTS of scar tissue. So maybe once he opens me up he will have an idea.
Unread 03-24-2010, 03:56 PM

I also hadmy TVH/Bso due to endo and Iam not using any HRT. Iam judt over a year post op and so far my symptoms have been very managable, just a few hot flashes and night sweats, and I m very happy about my decision. Endo can be a tricky thing to manage. You do nothave t have ovaries or take HRT for end to grow. And getting all ofthe implants out can be next to impossible as they cnbe microscopic and invisible to the naked eye. Also, endo can produce its own estrogen andour bodis can convert other hormones or foods such as soy to estrogenand feed the endo that way. Pesonally, I think thatif you canget by without it affecting yor health in a negative way, I say go for it. Hot flshes and other symptoms will not last forever. I am only 31 and doing better than I have in years!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register