Okay, what is it? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Okay, what is it? Okay, what is it?

Unread 04-09-2002, 05:47 AM
Okay, what is it?

I am suppose to have a TAH done and I have been surfing different sites, and on some of the sites they say a TAH, is the removal of everything (tubes, ovaries, uterus and cervix) and others say it is just the removal of: Tubes, uterus and cervix.

Okay I am baffled, some one have an answer? I have to call my doctor today anyways, so I will also ask him, exactly what's up also.

Thanks

archide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2002, 06:03 AM
Confusing isn't it?

A TAH is a "total" abdominal hysterectomy which makes it confusing. When you think Total, you think everything. That is not the case. A TAH is removal of the uterus and cervix. The removal of the ovaries and tubes is named "BSO" and I cannot remember the full terminology of that...bilaterial something. If everything will be removed, it is called a "TAH/BSO". My surgery was a TAH with possible BSO. Luckily my ovaries were not diseased and I kept them.

Do make sure you discuss this fully with your doctor so you can fully understand what he/she is recommending and you can voice your concerns and get your questions answered well in advance of your surgery.
Unread 04-09-2002, 06:19 AM
Okay, what is it?

Maybe this list of abbreviations will help:

TAH-Total Abdominal Hysterectomy----Removal of uterus including the cervix
TAH BSO--Total Abdominal Hysterectomy- Bilateral Salpingoopherectomy---Removal of uterus and both tubes and ovaries.
LAVH-Laparoscopic Assisted Vaginal Hysterectomy---Vaginal Hysterectomy with visualization and resection of the uterine ligaments through a scope inserted through or near the umbillicus.The uterus is then delivered through the vagina.
TVH Total Vaginal Hysterectomy ---removal of uterus and cervix through the vagina
SAHSubtotal Abdominal Hysterectomy--removal of uterus through an abd. incision leaving the cervix intact
SAHSupracervical Abdominal Hysterectomy---same as above
LSHLaparoscopic Supracervical Hysterectomy
Lap Hyster---same as LAVH
TVH---Vag hyster
TVH-BSO removal of uterus and both tubes and ovaries thru the vagina

When you sign the consent form it should specify what is being removed, if you're not sure ASK.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2002, 06:35 AM
Thanks

Thanks to you both, that is what I had figured. And some sites have a TAH as everything, as a matter of fact I was on a site this morning, can't remember what it was.

But it just states TAH, and not BSO at all. If I get on a site and see it again, I will try and remember the site.

Thanks again.

archide
Unread 04-09-2002, 07:54 AM
Okay, what is it?

Thanks for the abbreviations - but what does it mean when someone says they are having a "radical" hysterectomy? I mean, like, is it, like dudical, man?

Sorry to be funny - I'm really not trying to be disrespectful - I just wondered, and I don't mean to offend anyone.
Unread 04-09-2002, 07:59 AM
Okay, what is it?

Quote:
Originally posted by debbieg
Thanks for the abbreviations - but what does it mean when someone says they are having a "radical" hysterectomy? I mean, like, is it, like dudical, man?

Sorry to be funny - I'm really not trying to be disrespectful - I just wondered, and I don't mean to offend anyone.
A radical hysterectomy involves the removal of the uterus, cervix, a small portion of the upper part of the vagina and some soft tissue from within the pelvis. A radical hysterectomy is only performed in cases of cancer of the cervix by gynaecologists who have received special training.

source NETDOCTOR.CO.UK http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/health_ad...sterectomy.htm

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register