Fear of my beautiful dogs post op - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fear of my beautiful dogs post op Fear of my beautiful dogs post op

Unread 12-26-2012, 08:59 PM
Re: Fear of my beautiful dogs post op

Be very careful sister that you are not bending to let them out of their crates. You really need to this early in recovery as you do not want any setbacks that may keep you from your babies even longer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-26-2012, 09:16 PM

Is bending down all together a no no? I guess I have been bending occasionally but only during my good no pain periods. I don't feel like I'm overdoing anything?!
Unread 12-26-2012, 09:21 PM

Yes, bending is a no no. It is very easty to tear internal sutures especially if you have a vaginal cuff (no cervix). To help here is a link to some articles and the checkpoints for wks 1 and 2. These coupled with my dr's instructions were very helpful to me for a successful recovery.

Checkpoints, Allowed not Allowed, and Recommended Do's and Dont's. Hope that helps!
Unread 12-26-2012, 09:31 PM

Ooo I'm sinning on the bending and the reaching... I will take a step back, I'm only 31 so definitely do want to recover well so I can join in with my friends and their adventures. May even snowboard with them one day something I've never felt up to previously. Thank you for the links they were useful. I had read them but forgot their sound advice as it was before the op!
Unread 12-26-2012, 09:52 PM

How is it going now with the dogs?

After my first surgery this year, I had a 14 inch incision going up and down my abs and half of it (every other inch) was completely open. (the wound nurses were looking at my ab wall when they packed it)

I tell you this because I have a 33 pound beagle/dalmatian mix and a 40 pound mix (we think catahoula mix but not sure). I had been in the hospital for 6 weeks and was so weak I was using a walker and could not get off the toilet or out of a chair alone.
My Beagle mix was 2 and had separation anxiety from me. He lives on my lap or feet when I'm home. My other mix was almost 11 months.

My honey went inside first and let them out. The "dog yard" wraps around the house to drive way/garage. The dogs saw my parents unloading their car and were starting to figure out, "Momma is Home!!!".

My mom and step dad put me in the recliner, put my walker in front of it, a kitchen chair next to it and basically made sure they could not get straight at me by any way. Mom even sat on the floor and held her arms out guarding me. Honey let them in. yes they went NUTS!!! Mom and step dad just kept blocking them. Once they calmed down some, the smaller older one was allowed to jump up next to my legs on the chair. It was at this point, we started learning a new command. "No paws on the mommy lady".

The hysterectomy was combined with another serious surgery in Nov. I had infection problems and was in the hospital for 2 weeks and day. We had no need to do anything this time to protect me from the dogs. They just wanted to sniff my belly and once they were done with that, we haven't had a problem.
Unread 12-26-2012, 09:57 PM

Thank you for sharing that! I just have my eldest one out nd he is fine currently snoozing on the floor. I just know the other two would be fine if my hubby helped. I think I will be patient with him let him see that the eldest is fine and then encourage him to let the other two out. He is goin to have a shock seeing the one out hehe.

I like the no paws on mummy
Unread 12-26-2012, 10:37 PM

I just kept a pillow over my tummy so when they did jump up to lay with me, they didn't hurt me. And they just seemed to "know" that my tummy was tender and stayed away from it. Having my beagle and my terrier as my recovery buddies helped me mentally more than anything. They mostly just cuddled next to me on the couch or laid quietly beside me on the floor. Making sure "mommy" was ok.
Unread 12-27-2012, 01:17 AM

Glad you liked my story.

the funnier part is as I lay around the house recovering (first time was for two months. This surgery was supposed to be 6 weeks but because of complications, I think they are adding a week), I text pictures of the babies keeping my legs and toes warm on the recliner to my honey while he is at work.

It makes him jealous. And I'm just bad enough to enjoy that.

I NEED my animals when I'm sick/depressed/stressed out/upset more than I need people. I wanted to have the time between my surgeries where I could train one of them to be a therapy/service dog so honey could bring them to the hospital but I just didn't have the time when I was strong and healthy enough to do so.

Take care!
Unread 12-27-2012, 06:14 AM

I have a 62# Boxer, a 63# English Bulldog and a 12# cat. while the cat does everything in his power to curl up with me everyday all the time because he is heat seeking and for being a big old Texas Tom Cat, he is a lover. The dogs really just seem to be "Cautious" around me.

The dogs are not allowed on the furniture because we have cream colored leather couches.

My Boxer is big enough to be able to smell my incision on my belly, she will walk very gingerly around me and come over to the side of the recliner and put her head on my legs. This is a dog that LOVES to jump up and get hugs...since I have been home she has not tried.

My English is short...so he just stands there and cries the most pathetic cry he can and will come by the recliner while it's in recline so I can love on him. Otherwise he stands next to me and paws at my legs. He's a true momma's boy and it kills him I can't hug on him.

I too need my fur babies when I am sick or hurt....they make me just feel better!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register