LAVH next week and anxious re recovery time | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

LAVH next week and anxious re recovery time LAVH next week and anxious re recovery time

Unread 04-21-2010, 07:33 AM
LAVH next week and anxious re recovery time

first off, this site is awesome!

I have my LAVH and anterior/posterior repair sched for April 30th. It's the best decision for me and I was doing OK until my booking in nurse told me that I'd be off work for at least 3 months. My doc had said 2 or 3 weeks of really taking it easy and then back to work slowly by the end of the month..... And that's if the surgery doesn't set off my MS symptoms. So I really need to know what I can expect in weeks 3, 4 plus. Apparently it's the prolapse repairs which are going to take the longest time to recover. I want to give my body its best chance of a full recovery. My job is quite physically demanding. It's nice to know there are other people out there who have been through this and can share their experiences.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2010, 07:40 AM
Re: LAVH next week and anxious re recovery time

Hi
I had a Lavh..no prolapse repair, he told me 6-8 weeks. I am a stay at home mom so i don't have a scheduled return date...LOL I am putting off heavy cleaning for as long as I can!
But really if it is a desk job I think I could go back next week (6th wk)
Walking/standing job I would wait for 8 wks, or go back part time.
I went shopping the other day and walked around stores for an hour and felt a lot of pressure and a little pain in legs and ab. Felt like I had been out for 12 hours not 1! He wants me to be doing 45 min of cardio, but I can't really imagine that right now, I am taking it slow. I do need to walk a little more.

I would imagine the lifting restrictions would be stricter with your prolapse repair...

hopefully some people with similar surgeries will chime in!

~Sue
LAVH/BSO
Unread 04-21-2010, 08:33 AM

My advice is take as much time as you possibly can.

My surgery was different from yours. I had a TLH and no repair work. I went back to work 10 days ago at 7 1/2 weeks and it has been hard. I expected to be tired, but was surprised at how many aches and pains returned. I'm a teaching assistant so I'm on my feet alot and move from classroom to classroom in the school. I took last Wed. off and today off so that I'm working 2 days at a time then a rest day.

Your surgery will be more extensive than mine and you say your job is physically demanding, so I don't think you'll be ready when your dr says you will be. I'm older (58) so maybe that's why I'm slower to heal. Best wishes to you for a successful surgery and easy recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2010, 09:07 PM

I had a LAVH on 4/9 and have done quite well. I found that most things I have read online were extreme. Take it easy your first week and you will be surprised.

I'm still taking it easy. You will do great. Stay positive!
Unread 04-21-2010, 09:39 PM

i have a very physical job and took 6 weeks off. i wish i could have taken more time but couldnt do it financially. i just started out slow, and took little breaks inbetween my work. do whatever feels right for you. some women can go back ealier, others cant.
Unread 04-21-2010, 09:50 PM

I had the repair..and everything else...my doctor said I could go back in 4 to 6 weeks...I choose the extra two weeks(took 6)...due to the type of job I have....used the last two week to rebuild my strength..first a fifteen minute walks, turned into 30 minute walks, to 45 then 1 hr on my feet then rest...Best wishes..I think you will have a good feeling of where you are at .......least by the beginning of the 4th week...everybody heals differently..one of my sis went back after only two weeks...had a relapse because her body wasn't ready and ended up having to take off longer than I did....so listen to your body ..if you are still getting tires quickly after a few minutes on your feet...you may no be ready.
Unread 04-21-2010, 09:56 PM

Thanks Azalynn for reminding us to take it easy. I feel good now, but realize that I can overdo it and it can set me back. I was going strong until yesterday. I really don't want to go back to work to soon and suffer.
Unread 04-24-2010, 09:13 AM

Thanks everyone. I guess I'll listen to my body and try not to stress about what I can't control. That bit will be the hardest as I am a bit of a control freak

Best wishes to all of you with your own recoveries and thanks again for taking the time to reply!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register