Not Sleeping | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-19-2001, 12:01 PM
Not Sleeping

Hello Ladies,
Well Im 1 week away from my TAH and what can I say IM NOT SLEEPING! I comfortable with the fact that I need a TAH but basically Im scared to death of not waking up from surgery. I even wrote letters to my 3 kids just in case, my husband really doesnt want to hear any negativity Im sure hes scared as well. I will be thrilled when I wake up in recovery no matter what kind of pain Im in. Ive been taking those tylonol PM pills at night it seems to help, I hope they cant hurt. Oh well Thanks for letting me vent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2001, 12:23 PM
Not Sleeping

((((Malloryzz))))) - those thoughts are normal!!! In fact, I could very have written EXACTLY the same thing. In fact, I wrote that I was considering writing a letter to my sister (my dh didn't want to hear anything negative either) so that she could give it to my dh, just in case.

The only thing that helped me quell those nasty thoughts was to read the Princess Stories. Reading them made me realize that all those princesses DID wake up. The more I read, the more confident and reassured I was.

Be sure to check with your doctor about taking Tylenol PM so close to your surgery. I was told NO meds 48 hours before. It's always a good idea to make sure.

The wait is almost over and soon you'll be wearing that shiny new crown.
Unread 04-19-2001, 12:53 PM
Me too!

Two weeks to go until mine and I am starting to sweat. I even have fantasies about chickening out at the last minute and running for my life. Like you, I am scared that I won't wake up either. I have been suffering with anxiety and depression for about 8 months now and I take Xanax at night to sleep. I wonder if I am supposed to stop before surgery. I also take an antidepressant that makes me drowsy. Uggggg, nobody is telling me anything. Thanks for being here for me. Now I know that I should ask.
One thing that I have learned while going through my wonderful anxiety is how to get rid of "anticipatory anxiety". This is working really well with me and thought that maybe you could try it as well. It takes some practice and patience but if it works for anxious lil' me, I am sure that it can help you too. Here goes. . .
The next time you have a thought about not waking up after the surgery, say to yourself "Stop" and then immediatly replace it with a possitive thought such as...
"As soon as I wake up, I will be hungry". or " I wonder what it will feel like to wake up and it be over". You may have to do it ten billion times a day but keep it up. It seems to help me a lot. I am now down to 5 billion times a day and I started out anxious.
I just hope that once this is over and my hormones are regulated, I can say goodbye to this nasty mood of mine and at least half of my tears. I even cry when the wind blows. Well not every time, only when it blows towards the west. Tee hee.
My prayers and blesssings will be flowing through you as you have your surgery. All will be fine and you WILL wake up hungry!
Hugs,
Brenda.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2001, 01:52 PM
Not Sleeping

Hi Malloryzz,
Here I am about to give you advice about not being nervous about surgery. I'm sure within the next 3 weeks, I'll be just as nervous as you!
I did want to just say this: I've had surgery 4 times and woke up all 4 times!! It's still scary, but I think the ideas that Brenda suggested were great.
And, as I'm sure you've been reading here, being scared is only natural; part of being human.
About writing letters to your children: I think about doing that everytime I go on a trip. My son is an adult now, so not quite the same as having little ones. But they're still our "babies" no matter how old they are!
Just take care and keep reading these encouraging thoughts from our "sisters".
Dianne
Unread 04-19-2001, 02:38 PM
Not Sleeping

I am 10 days post-op. Had TVH on April 9. I wrote up detailed instructions and information about my cats and gave it to my girlfriend and got her assurances that she would take care of them. I talked to another friend and asked her if anything went awry would she do what she could (prayers I guess!) to see that I got to the otherside okay. She said, "You got it babe, you'll get there!" I thought, cool! I'm ready all the bases are covered.

YOU ARE NOT ALONE! We all feel scared. And just like all the other post-ops that have written here, I'm going to tell you that the waiting is the worst! Honestly.

I did not require Rx pain medication when I came home though I had it just in case, I am driving, I am tired, I walk slow, and whatever activity I do (about a 2 hour limit) I seem to have to nap the same amount of time afterward. I used Tylenol PM's to help me sleep when I came home. Am not using them now.

I feel really good and luv, I am 55 years old. I think you will do really well also. It's not the big deal we all think it will be. Remember that you only have one time to heal correctly, rest, get a belly pillow, and let everyone else feel like they are earning their celestial brownie points by helping you along the way. They like to feel good.
Best of Luck and Hugs!
Miranda
Unread 04-19-2001, 03:48 PM
Not Sleeping

I was truly terrified, and my husband was too. What really helped both of us was getting the house ready for my recovery.

Buying clothing and food, getting the guest room ready, getting a shower chair, etc. all helped us focus on AFTER the surgery, which helped us realize there would BE and after...

Good luck!
Unread 04-19-2001, 04:32 PM
Not Sleeping

You'll wake up don't worry.
About the tylenol and meds, make sure you DON'T take any aspirin products (that's what the doc said to my mom). And ask about any other medicine you are taking!
Hang in there!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register