Question on pain... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question on pain... Question on pain...

Unread 08-04-2007, 04:55 PM
Question on pain...

OK, I have had 2 c-sections so I have an idea of how much pain is involved. However, my Dr. said that the pain is much worse. Can any of you give me an idea of what to expect? I did pretty well with both of the c-sections and wasn't down for very long at all. How long can I expect for this? I am having the full abdominal incision & hopefully will be able to keep the ovaries.
By the way, this site is AWESOME! I have found it to be VERY informative. Thanks sisters!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-04-2007, 06:32 PM
Question on pain...

I had 2 c-sections prior to my TAH, too. For me, I found pretty much everything to be very similar to that of my planned c-section (which I recovered from better than the first - unplanned - one). You already know how to get up and out of bed without straining your stomach and the importance of walking around as soon as your doctor says it's OK. I did take more pain meds with the TAH, but that was in part to get the nurse off my back who didn't seem to believe me that the pain wasn't really all that bad. And I got to pawn my kids off on relatives for almost two weeks after I got home, so that was MUCH easier than two weeks with a newborn. Hope that helps. Good Luck!
Unread 08-04-2007, 06:37 PM
Question on pain...

I've cut and pasted a response I gave to another gal a few lines up in the discussion board from you. We all have our own experiences so take them with a grain of salt. Good luck. You are going to do GREAT!

Hi there. I wondered the same thing prior to my LAH w/BSO 3 weeks ago. I had had 2 c-sections prior to this surgery. I can only speak from my own experience but must tell you that NO it's not the same... it was more painful for me. There must be more done AND you don't have some super hormone shooting through your body like you do when you bring that sweet baby home. Even the hospital stay lacked that excited joy. The wing at the hosptial with the babies is just a happier, lighter place. That's not to say the nurses aren't good on the hysterectomy ward... they just don't have the same option of offering you a hungry baby to be held. With all that said... for me the waiting about did me in and when it was finally over I was feeling emotionally better all the way around. The pain was more intense but you can rest more because so many people aren't there visiting the new baby and you don't have to worry about if the baby is ok in the bassinet beside you or in the nursery. My doctor sent me home with PLENTY of pain meds and it was nice to be able to take those... zonk out and not worry about who needs what at home. Week 1 was tough. Week 2 was a little better but I was anticipating it would be lots better. Week 3 is GREAT! My pain is very well-controlled with a little bit of rx and I am moving around and feeling much better... like there's light at the end of this tunnell. I've had LOTS of help and meals delivered so I've truly been pampered. My kids (7 and 10) have been INCREDIBLE helpers. I really know that when I'm all healed I will feel better than I have in years. I was experiencing menopausal symptoms for years prior to this. I did opt to do hormone replacement therapy (I"m 38) and I can tell you I"ve felt more "even" than I have in a long time. I haven't had a hot flash or night sweat since the day of surgery. Amazing! Good luck to you. You're going to do great. We all say this.... it's so true.... the WAITING is BY FAR the HARDEST part! Hang in there. You're about to feel better than you probably have in years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-04-2007, 06:40 PM
Question on pain...

Hi,

I never had a c-section (or kids) so I can't compare it to that, but I had my TAH on 6/27 and went home on 6/29. I have not taken a single pain killer since they took the IV out on the morning of 6/28, and even that I didn't take the extra button push for the morphine at all. I take advil once in a while but that's it. I think I freaked myself out more than anything, but I did really good, I wish you the same. The swelling of the stomach is the worse thing so far, and that is not painful, I just want to wear my geans again.
I hope yours is just as easy Good luck.
Unread 08-04-2007, 11:56 PM
Question on pain...

I never had a C-section, but I had natural childbirth and that was FAR more painful than my hyst recovery. For one thing I took pain meds as needed. There is a fair amount of discomfort and inconvenience, but very little pain, as such. I was off prescription meds by day 3 and took OTC pain meds for the next couple weeks and gradually cut down until now, at week 5, I just take Tylenol PM some nights, but mainly because I can't get to sleep, not for pain.
Unread 08-05-2007, 05:04 AM
Question on pain...

Great idea MissHyster! Here is my response to 'worried sister' from another thread...

I have had 4 c-sections, one emergency, one premature, and 2 that were planned and happened when/why they were supposed.

I had an LSH to remove my uterus only and I thought that since I had 4 c-sections that the LSH couldn't be much worse...boy was I wrong! My doctor also said even the LSH is worse, a baby is supposed to come out, your uterus isn't. The c-section pain I experienced was really only related to the incision...the LSH pain was a very deep internal ache. I never would have imagined that I would "know" where the top of my cervix was, but it was so achy as it was healing.

My recovery was longer and I was far more exhausted than any of my c-sections. I still had my "little bundle of joy" as he was only 3 months old, but when my mom or dh brought him to me even at a week post-op I had so much trouble just concentrating on him. I never would have been able to take care of a brand new baby if my c-sections had been like that!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register