need ideas about pants/shorts to take to hospital | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

need ideas about pants/shorts to take to hospital need ideas about pants/shorts to take to hospital

Unread 05-02-2010, 10:46 AM
need ideas about pants/shorts to take to hospital

I have a RALH scheduled for this Friday and I cannot for the life of me decide which pair of pants or shorts to take and then wear home from the hospital. I know that I will have a swollen abdomen and small incisions, but nothing in my closet looks comfortable enough. Please tell me what worked for you around your waist and tummy when you came home? ( I usually wear a 14) I will have about a 45 minute drive from the hospital to my house when hubby and I leave, and I don't think they'll let me leave in a nightgown. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-02-2010, 10:51 AM
Re: need ideas about pants/shorts to take to hospital

Do you own any dresses? Loose dresses were my preference. I wore pants a size too big home from the hospital but a dress after that. It didn't touch the incisions and I found it comfiest.
Unread 05-02-2010, 10:54 AM

I wore really large sleep pants home with a tie up waist. Worked great. You will also need granny panties that are at least two sizes bigger but only for a few weeks!
Hope this helps..

Fleecy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-02-2010, 10:57 AM

I wore a jumper - actually a maternity jumper - with the mesh panties from the hospital underneath. I would not have wanted to put pants on - I had a Foley catheter when I went home. If you really want to, they would let you leave in pj's and a robe if you want to (as long as it's not the hospital gown!).

s,
-Linda
Unread 05-02-2010, 03:22 PM

I would wear a loose cotton dress if you have one. I wore some athletic pants that were a size too big for me and was uncomfortable on the way home because my belly was still too swollen for only one size too big. You probably won't care what you look like by the time you get out of there so just pick something big and you will be fine.
Unread 05-02-2010, 04:20 PM

Buy Big! I followed everyone's advice and bought granny panties two sizes too big. I am so swollen. They were too tight. My husband went out and bought four sizes too big and they feel like heaven! Yes they are ugly, but you won't care and you can get a cheap package of 6 at Target for $7. Not too bad and I won't feel bad about ditching them when my belly goes down.

As for clothes, I treated myself to XL cute pj's and XL yoga pants to lounge in for the next several weeks. I am normally a medium and these are perfect. Not too tight and with the draw string/ elastic, I can pull them tighter when my belly is smaller.

If you have the money, I would treat yourself to something new and cute. It makes me feel better and pretty and you certainly won't feel that way just coming out of surgery. Good Luck!
Unread 05-02-2010, 06:42 PM

Hi Natalie,
Like you, I had a 45 minute drive home. What worked for me for the trip home were soft cotton knit pants with an elastic waste that I picked up at K-mart (Wal-mart has them, too) in 2 sizes too large. I had them hiked up like Ed Grimley to keep them away from my incisions, but they worked great, and were under $10/pair. I've worn the heck out of them at home, too, and will probably send them to Goodwill after healing up.

Ditto on picking up the 6-pack of grannie panties. Lifesavers!

Don't forget to take your tummy pillow with you to put under the seatbelt and ask your driver to be really mindful of any potholes and drive carefully.
Unread 05-02-2010, 07:55 PM

Thank you all for the valuable advice. I am heading to Target tomorrow to look for either the large knit pants or a large sundress. I will also pick up the "granny panties" (I love saying that!).
Unread 05-03-2010, 03:34 AM

I wore my regular yoga pants and regular panties home after my TAH. (I wasn't even having any bleeding or discharge, which was wonderful.) I was a little swollen, but not terribly considering I was cut open almost hip to hip. I had a 45 min. ride as well (10 miles, but terrible stop and go jerking around traffic) and the tummy pillow was a LIFESAVER.
Unread 05-03-2010, 05:03 AM

Ok you guys are making me rethink about what I should bring with me. I had planned to wear to and from the hospital a pair of loose fitting capri track pants that are extremely soft but not sure they will be big enough now.... maybe I should pack some jammie pants just in case.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register