Dog Walking! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 05-09-2004, 05:11 AM
Dog Walking!

Hi!

Anyone have any ideas how long post op before I can take my (large!) dog out for walks? I know the exercise will be good for me, I'm just wondering about her pulling on the lead! (I've got a friend who will walk her until I'm able.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-09-2004, 05:44 AM
Dog Walking!

Debra

I have a smallish dog (about 35 pounds) and I wouldn't have walked her until I was 4-6 weeks post op. You'll find that even after your initial healing period, you need to be careful for a while about making fast moves, lifting and pulling. It takes a full 6-12 months for everything to be completely healed inside. About 2-3 weeks post-op, you'll get that "WOW! I feel great!!" feeling and this is when it's very easy to over-do it.

I'd have someone help with walking your large dog for at least 4 weeks, maybe longer if there is any chance of her pulling at the leash unexpectedly.

s
Cat
Unread 05-09-2004, 08:26 AM
Dog Walking!

I too have a large beast. She is good on a leash, but can pull when she wants. There is something called a no-pull harness which really works - and the dog does it, not you. It goes under their front legs, and when they pull too hard, it pinches in a nerve. The result - after a few tugs, they don't pull anymore. I say, "no pull" when she starts, so now, when she starts pulling, I say the command, and she'll quit. I liked it a lot better then the muzzle harness, which you control. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-09-2004, 09:31 AM
Dog Walking!

We have a golden and she is around 60+ lbs.

What works for our dog is a collar that goes around the snout. It works like a charm because it is on the nose and she does not like to pull when walked. She knows that it is there is and always GREAT with it!!!!

I am not planning to walk our dog any time soon (my surgery is on Tuesday 5/11), but it does help control our dog with our five year old. She can walk the dog without any trouble. Without the collar she would walk a bulldozer.

You can get the collar at any major super pet store. They are about twenty dollars and come in different sizes for the dog that you have.

Bring your pet with you, it will make sizing a lot better. We had to make three trips until we brought our dog to the store. ---live and learn..... hahaha

I hope this helps post op.

pixel
Unread 05-09-2004, 10:08 AM
Dog Walking!

I have two large dogs. One is 70 pounds, the other 108 pounds. I walked the 70 pound dog around 6 weeks post op and when she saw a rabbit or another dog and started to pull, it hurt! I am now eleven weeks post op and after that experience, I only walk her now with a harness, she cant pull me very much with that on. I have yet to walk the 108 pound dog. He pulls way too much when he sees something thats interesting to him, even with a harness on. I am not sure when I will walk him but as I do more things and I still get pain, it reminds me how long the recovery process is with this surgery so it will be quite awhile before I take my 108 pounder for a walk!
Unread 05-09-2004, 10:42 AM
Dog Walking!

You ladies are starting to scare me that I won't be able to take the 'beast' for a walk - we weigh the same - even with her no-pull harness.
I guess I'll walk alone, and let her romp in the back yard. That'll be a battle, when she see those walking shoes go on.
Thanks for the warning. I wouldn't want to be there and in trouble.
Unread 05-09-2004, 10:56 AM
Walkies!

Thanks to all of you for your advice and comments. I live in England, but I'll have a look for the harness to see if it's available over here. I think I'll also ask another friend to alternate the dog walking - that way, I won't feel guilty about imposing for a while longer!
Unread 05-09-2004, 03:12 PM
Dog Walking!

I have a guide dog and she is going to feel disowned for awhile. While I'm in hospital, she will be with a friend who she loves. If she stays home with DH, she will worry at where I am and will have to spend quite a bit of time on her own when DH is with me. This sweet girls world will be different for awhile and it will be hard for her because she won't understand why.

When we are walking, I have to be able to follow any quick movement she makes and I know I won't be able to do that for a couple of weeks anyway. I think she will be sooo happy to be home with me that, gentle hugs from me and play time with DH will be all she needs for awhile.

When I had my first guide dog, I had a lap to see what was what cause of infertility tests. Anway, she was with a friend and her DH. My friend had gone to work and she was at home with my friends DH who, was asleep (shift work). Well, the dog woke him up twice and he noticed the clock both times. Later, my DH and my friend were talking and my friend mentioned the times the dog woke her DH. Turns out that, the first time was when I went under and the second time, was when I woke up. Don't know how my DH knew my in and out times but it gave me a worm fuzzy feeling when they told me.

I'm sure my girl will be fine but I'm going to worry about her none the less.
Unread 05-09-2004, 03:31 PM
Dog Walking!

You might be surprised to find that the smallest tug from your dog will pull in your belly. I tried to walk my 18 lb. cairn terrier just in our front yard at 4 weeks & that definitely did not work. I was taken aback by how much discomfort I had & he was not really pulling hard against the leash I found that it worked better when my son walked with me so I could get exercise & he had the dog on the leash. The first time we walked together & I could handle the dog on the leash I accidently dropped it & I physically could not move my body fast enough to pick it up & stop the dog. My son grabbed the leash; so my suggestion is have someone walk with you & your dog(s) & let that person hold the leash. That way you get exercise & your dog still gets to walk with you & is happy!
Unread 05-09-2004, 10:36 PM
Dog Walking!

Hi,

As a proffessional K9 Trainer, let me say that your replies all ROCK!

Housewren said it ALL!
And Post Op is absolutely no time to try new walking "gear" on your K9. You can't really be sure that you dog will not balk at the new gear for at least the first month or so of use.

Pulling K9 + Hystersister Princess = Yowch!!!!!

I can speak from experience. I went out all feeling better and decided to walk to the mailbox w/ my super trained search dog. Bad Idea, So wrong... Thank goodness I could put him on a "down/stay" 'til I could get my son to come get "us"

Much Love,
AnnieWoof

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register