Just found out, A&P prolapse found 2 months before davinci - Anyone have hysterectomy WITH A&P repairs at the same? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Just found out, A&P prolapse found 2 months before davinci -  Anyone have hysterectomy WITH A&P repairs at the same? Just found out, A&P prolapse found 2 months before davinci - Anyone have hysterectomy WITH A&P repairs at the same?

Unread 06-23-2015, 04:19 PM
Just found out, A&P prolapse found 2 months before davinci - Anyone have hysterectomy WITH A&P repairs at the same?

I have adenomyosis and I'm scheduled for DaVinci hysterectomy on August 20th. I was also just diagnosed yesterday at my family doctor with cystocele and rectocele. She said my gynecologist would not have seen them because they only come out when I bear down. So she is sending a report to them and I will be calling for an appointment with them tomorrow.

Questions-

I'm hoping I can still have my surgery date, will this make the surgery significantly longer, therfore making me wait until a later date so he has more time? Or will I have to go through a bunch of testing first before he will do repairs?

Will this make recovery harder/longer? I have little kids and I need to know to plan out help.

If I have the hysterectomy without repairs, how does surgery for repairs at a later date compare to hysterectomy?

I am planning davinci, if he does repairs at the same time, will it change my surgery type?

For now, what should I avoid doing, so I don't make it worse? I've stopped picking up my 3 year old (still hold him a lot just not pick him up) and I've stopped lifting anything over 30lbs and carrying things up and down stairs.

I've been reading some posts today and it seems like I need to ask for suture repair, no mesh, right? Is that for both areas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-23-2015, 07:50 PM
Re: Anyone else have hysterectomy WITH A&P repairs at the same time?

Hi byteme. I am 4 days post op from a TVH with A & P repairs and a bladder sling. I had two doctors doing my surgery and it took about 2.5 hours. My doctor advised me that getting everything done at the same time was the best way to go. This was my first major surgery so I don't have anything to compare it to, but I trusted my doctors completely. And I feel as though I am recovering as expected. I had a morophine pump at the hospital and a shot to control my nausea. My nurses were great and I was kept comfortable for my overnight stay. I had to learn to self catth before I could be discharged because my bladder was not ready to work yet and I wanted to go home. I only had to catth myself once at home and then everything started working as it should. I am taking percocete and ibuprofen for pain and inflammation. My doctor has said no driving for 2 weeks, I can tele-work from home at 3 weeks part time, and as long as everything progresses as planned I will return to my office at 6 weeks..
My bottom is very sore so sitting upright in a chair is uncomfortable.i still haven't had a BM yet, but I am taking softners and walking around my house. I will see my doctor on Thursday for my 1 week post op appt and I think I am doing good. I think the additional repairs may add a little more recovery time especially when it comes to sex and lifting, but I am very glad that I decided to have the surgery. I hope this helps you a little.
Unread 06-24-2015, 08:11 AM

I didn't have extra repair work done myself, but I've frequently read about other sisters having it done. It seems to be pretty common. Since the surgeon has more work to do, I would guess that it would make the surgery longer. It definitely seems to make recovery longer, with more stringent restrictions re: lifting.

Still, the prolapse won't go away on its own. I'm thinking it's better you have it addressed now than wait for it to get worse later, eh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-24-2015, 09:25 AM

I had a TAH (everything removed) with A&P repairs & a bladder tack (due to prolapse). My doctor and a second did my surgery (not sure how long it took).
I've been sure to drink 8-16 oz of Metamucil everyday and 3 stool softeners (one with each meal) to help in passing stool. The first couple of movements it felt like I was ripping and I'd pass blood from my front & back but after that 1st week or two, there has been no blood or pain. I have not had any other issues (so far).
My driving restriction was lifted at my 2 week ck up and I even got the green lite on the big "O" (without penetration of course).
Hope everything goes well for you!!
Good luck!!
Unread 06-25-2015, 06:54 AM
Re: Just found out, A&P prolapse found 2 months before davinci - Anyone have hysterectomy WITH A&P repairs at the same?

Hi,

I had this all done at once and it did not take much extra time during surgery. My Dr did a lot of these and has used the Davince equipment a lot. I think that was the key to my success. I was a slow healer but am older and this is normal for me. I do have one caution. After my surgery he casually told me he tighten me up a bit. I think this was a mistake as I still have discomfort sometimes with intercourse. And at first (8weeks) it was very painful. So hope your dr doesn't do this and I would recommend waiting a little longer before your full penetration or at least being sure all the stitches are healed fully.

Think you will be glad you did it now. I waited too long. Should have done it 10-20 years earlier. Good luck getting it all arranged for the date you already have. And best wishes for an uneventful surgery.

Hugs,
Anndy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register