How is it possible to have a bm without straining at all? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How is it possible to have a bm without straining at all? How is it possible to have a bm without straining at all?

Unread 02-15-2016, 12:27 AM
How is it possible to have a bm without straining at all?

I'm on week 4 after LVH with recto and cystocele repairs. I am trying to find a happy medium with bm's...I've been taking colace and various diff things trying to find something that actually does soften the stools so they don't feel like boulders!! I'm increasing my water and fiber intake. I've resorted to glycerin suppositories a few times, although I'm not sure how safe it is to use those too often...
Am I going to have to worry about not straining with bm's for the rest of my life? I'm always worrying that I am going to mess up the cystocele and rectocele repairs...I don't want to have this hanging over my head the rest of my life!!
How on earth do you have a bm without straining at all??It doesn't seem possible!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-15-2016, 02:51 AM
Re: How is it possible to have a bm without straining at all?

A good fibre supplement like metamucil daily and adequate water, PLUS correct toileting positioning. I can't post a link, but just google correct toileting positioning to see what this looks like. Sorry if this is too much information, but if you get the fibre and fluid right and the position right you should be able to just sit in that position when you feel the urge to go and poo without any or very little effort at all!
Unread 02-15-2016, 03:00 AM

My dr recommended Miralax - you only need to take a small amount mixed with Gatorade and shouldn't have straining - if anything a little diarrhea which is the better of the two evils after a hysterectomy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-15-2016, 03:53 AM

Hello,

Magnesium citrate might help. I took 3 100mg tablets as prescribed for one day and two senna, which was probably too much, but by this time I needed to go. I held a towel over my stomach for added protection, even if only psychological and connected mind and bowel.

The trapped wind from disrupted intestines has not been much fun, paralysingly excruciating in fact.

Wishing you well x
Unread 02-15-2016, 05:18 AM

When I came home I was told not to strain during BM. I'm a nurse so I tend to Dr myself up lol. I took the prescribed 100 mgmt colace twice a day. Mirlax twice a day for the first couple of days. Then at Kroger in the tea bag section I bought this herbal tea. The tea is called Smooth Move. I heard about the tea off of this site. Let me tell you I had a strain free smooth move. I found it really worked. My mom even purchased the tea and it worked for her. Hope this helps. Please don't hesitate to ask me any questions. Best of luck.
Unread 02-15-2016, 09:31 AM

Thanks for the replies! I found I was ok for the first little bit...then I took too many pills and had the opposite problem...liquid glycerin, colace etc. I then started taking 2 colace type pills per day and it felt like nothing was working at all...I've been drinking more water and eating oatmeal with raisins for breakfast. It just feels like my bowels can't find a happy place. They went from loose and watery to producing huge boulder type bm's that are painful!!
I'm going to try the Smooth Move tea. It's worth a shot!
Unread 02-15-2016, 09:50 AM

Try sitting with your legs up on a small stool. I know this has helped me ALOT with BM. I am still using that little stool at almost 5 weeks.

Yogi Tea Smooth Move is wonderful. I also drank peppermint tea which helped as well

Warm prune juice and a handful of prunes every day for the first 2 weeks

If you are taking stool softeners 2X a day make sure you are drinking ALOT OF WATER! Like 5 to 6 bottles of water a day or more if you can drink that much water

Walk as much as you can to help get things moving
Unread 02-15-2016, 10:07 AM

You need to get your body doing it without getting used to supplements to help.
A change in your nutrition may be needed, include more whole foods, cut gluten, processed foods, and a lot of water. it should help a lot
Unread 02-15-2016, 10:41 AM

I second Paulette Ap's recommendation of walking; that's my doctor's top recommendation for getting things moving. I also second her recommendation of peppermint tea, which also helped me. As for changing your diet, I would recommend increasing your intake of magnesium, which promotes proper bowel function; food sources include leafy greens, whole grains, nuts and seeds, and dark chocolate, or you could also take a supplement. Try making a smoothie with almond milk, cherries, spinach, and ground flaxseeds; that's what ultimately worked for me. Best wishes for your continued recovery!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register