Fibroids and Constipation | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fibroids and Constipation Fibroids and Constipation

Unread 05-17-2005, 12:26 AM
Fibroids and Constipation

While I have read that fibroids can cause constipation, both of my doctors are not convinced that my large fibroid is the cause of my constipation. They tell me not to count on getting relief after my upcoming hysterectomy. Does anyone have experience with fibroids and constipation? Did you find relief after your hysterectomy? I really appreciate hearing about your experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-17-2005, 06:22 AM

I was have a little trouble moving my bowels, but I was really having trouble urinating because of my fibroid. My doctor at the time doubted that too. It had grown so large that it sometimes would make it near impossible for me to pee. And one day i couldn't go at all and had to have emergency surgery.

My surgeon said after the operation, from the way it was sitting in there he was amazed i could go either way at all. It was kind of blocking my bowels too. And i know now it was affecting that too, giving me a lot of discomfort. It is so wonderful to be able to go normally again, after all those years of discomfort and pain from that fibriod. It really caused all kinds of problems for me and i'm so glad its gone now.

Maybe if they do an ultra sound they could see where your fibroid is sitting? They only gave me one of those right at the last min, and then they saw what was going on in my belly.
take care
Unread 05-17-2005, 07:29 AM

I didn't have constipation with my fibroids but they did (in the words of my doctor) interrupt the fecal flow. This meant that I would go to the toilet and then have to go again several times a day as I was unable to totally empty my bowels in one go. This was presumably because the fibroids were resting against all the internal tubing bits!!

Sharon in England
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-17-2005, 05:29 PM

I used to have chronic constipation, thought to be from IBS. After my large fibroid was found I had a CT scan. It did show that the fibroid(s) were displacing my bowels. Within 2 weeks after surgery I was regular without medication and am so glad. Good luck. I know it really wears on you.
Unread 05-17-2005, 06:30 PM

Removal of my fibroids did nothing to fix my constipation. Wish it had, though.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register