Pre-op appointment for June 24 TAH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-op appointment for June 24 TAH Pre-op appointment for June 24 TAH

Unread 06-17-2008, 11:32 AM
Pre-op appointment for June 24 TAH

Hi ladies,
I had my pre-op appointment today! Because I'm so addicted to this site I just had to run home and post. First I saw my DR. I was so proud I had my typed list of questions. He even said a few of my questions where "really good ones."

Then he had to do a biopsy on my uterus. Do men realize how condensing it sounds when they say "You will just feel a little cramping?" OUCH!!

The most difficult part of the whole morning was finding where I had to go for my pre-op testing. A few questions later and 3 viles of blood and I was done! I don't even have to do a bowl prep the day before surgery!! mmmmmmmmsorrry all! Didn't mean to sound so glib. I'll eat light and switch to liquids anyway.

The only thing I forgot to do because I was so proud of myself that I made it to where I was supposed to be and didn't sound like a complete idiot was I forgot to give the pre-op testing place orders to do some testing from my doctor.....OOPS!...No Pregnancy test! Okay..I'll call my doctor back!
Wishing you all peace, strength and courage!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-17-2008, 12:57 PM

Way to go!! Pre-op is certainly the next big step before the day... the 24th. Woo! My pre-op is Friday, has my list of questions typed too! Never brought or really asked questions before, but this is way different than any lap I've ever had. Hahaha. Congrats on getting your questions answered though.
Unread 06-17-2008, 01:14 PM

My doctor did a biopsy the first time I saw him (almost two weeks ago). I thought I was going for a fibroid consultation and next thing I know the nurse is telling me to get undressed for a uterine biopsy and he also sent me to the lab for a blood draw. It was the same day I learned that my uterus was a going to be a gonner. I wonder if that was my "pre-op" exam or if I'll have to go through all this again?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-17-2008, 01:29 PM

Ok Las45 I want brownies points too. LOL What questions did he like?
Unread 06-17-2008, 02:01 PM

this was not your pre-op. you will have an appointment before the surgery to ask any questions you may have and to find out exactly what the doctor will be doing. Good luck and hope all goes well.
I have not had my pre-op appointment yet, but the nurse is really good and we talk often. She has informed me what is going to happen. My appointment is July 3, and my surgery is July 9th......
Unread 06-17-2008, 02:14 PM
good questions

He liked that I asked if my ovaries would shut down afterwards (Even though I plan to keep my ovaries he said I may have menopausal symptoms for a few weeks afterwards..night sweats, hot flashes)

He also said it was a good question that I asked about a private room, bringing my cell phone and bringing my laptop. (All rooms are private at this hospital and YES I can bring my cell phone and lap top!)

Also, my doctor said because my surgery wasn't until 4pm I could chew gum all day....However the pre-op testing nurse said only chew gum until noon....and the anesthesiologist said DON'T CHEW GUM!....I'm listening to the anesthesiologist. I don't want to chance anything!

Has anyone else asked some "good questions" that they would like to share?
Unread 06-18-2008, 07:14 AM

I am glad that your pre-op appt went well. I also don't need to do a bowel prep! Just told to eat light the day before.
Good luck on the 24th.
Unread 06-26-2008, 04:29 PM

I had my pre-op appointment today. I saw my doctor for about an hour. She did a quick pelvic exam and then I filled out a bunch of papers and she answered all of my questions. After seeing her I went down to the surgery clinic and filled out more paperwork. I had to do a pregnancy test and have a couple of tubes of blood taken. I had no EKG since I am under 50 and they only do a chest x-ray if they have a reason to. I did find out I have to do a bowel prep and I am not looking forward to that, but I am feeling pretty good about things.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register