Hip Pain after Hysterectomy Connection? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hip Pain after Hysterectomy Connection? Hip Pain after Hysterectomy Connection?

Unread 08-29-2008, 06:35 PM
Hip Pain after Hysterectomy Connection?

Can anyone help me with this? I am convinced that there is some sort of connection between the 2 but my doctor does not buy it. (have not talked with OB/GYN yet though)

My hips never hurt before my LSH in January. Now they hurt and after a physical, x-rays and an MRI, I am diagnosed with Bilateral Greater Trochanteric Bursal Edema.

However, the MRI was without contrast so was not as thorough as it could have been and they also think that it might be a labral tear. My doctor does not think I have a tear...not sure why or how he knows this. The MRI shows an increased signal on my left hip area (the worse of the 2 hips).

I just really want to know what is going on...anyone else experience this pain post-op, know someone who has or know of any studies on this subject?

Thanks in advance...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-29-2008, 06:41 PM

hmmm, I'll be interested to hear what is said here because I too have hip pain (for the first time in my life) since surgery....I attributed it to inactivity at first, and now trying to get back into shape, and also not being able to run for the past 9 months (not getting the daily stretching they used to)... But I'm sure it's probably something more than that.... I'll be interested to know what others have to say.
Unread 08-29-2008, 06:43 PM

I read briefly somewhere that it could be caused by the way some women are positioned during surgery. That may cause labral tear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-29-2008, 06:46 PM

I agree with Becky. I did not have problems after my LSH, but I did after they put in the bladder sling a year later. Good luck. Mine does not appear to be too limiting, but certain sitting positions hurt more than others.
Kim
LSH 6/27/07
Unread 08-31-2008, 08:45 AM

Thanks for confirming the same lovetocamp and caa00. Would love to hear from more who have the or know of the same experiences.

Lovetocamp, mine is not a total handicap either but if I walk too long, sit too long, move my leg the wrong way, lay the wrong way, it hurts. I still resume most daily activities, just a lot more gingerly and a lot of times dealing in pain.
Unread 09-01-2008, 09:49 PM

I am only 13 days post op and notice that my right hip is still more bothered than my left. I had read to expect this post surgery but had been hoping it would go away. Yuck... I don't want this too, I'm 33 and already getting a period after my LSH. What next?
Unread 09-02-2008, 12:18 AM
Hip Pain After Hysterectomy

I'm about 5 weeks out from a TVH and was having hip and pelvic bone pain. At my 2 week check I mentioned it and Doc said it could be positional from surgery. Apparently your legs are in the air... From the bruises I had I'm sure the torque on things pretty good. Tylenol and hot packs weren't quite cutting it. Last Thursday I went to my primary care doc because it was still bothering me enough to interfere with naps and sleep. She took an xray (no results yet) and gave me a prescription for mobic (I'm allergic to ibuprofen and aleve gives me blistering headaches.). She restated the "positional" issue and said things are probably imflamed and healing. She gave me a sheet with some stretching exercises. She also said when I'm cleared for exercise besides walking, (I'm a cyclist) things should improve rapidly. The mobic has really helped and I feel like a slightly less energetic version of my old self.
It does get better. Hope this helps.

TVH 31 July 08, Appendectomy Oct 04
Unread 09-02-2008, 09:01 PM

Thanks for your input on this subject. I am just concerned that this has gone on for over 4 months for me. It is frustrating...I just hope in the coming month, I get more answers.

CSM, I am sorry to gear that you have a period. Did you keep your cervix?
Unread 09-02-2008, 09:33 PM

I did choose to keep my cervix.

However after more reading yesterday I did read that more and more women experienced bleeding around 9/10 days post op and they didn't keep the cervix. So I am crossing my fingers that in a month or 2 this will pass. Thanks for asking.

Today I had my 2 wk post op w/ my Dr and mentioned the hip pain and of course as I would expect she stated it will go away. Then again, we'll see.
Unread 09-03-2008, 09:17 AM

Hi everyone. I am new to this site today and it is wonderful to connect with you all.

I am 6 weeks post-op after a total hysterectomy (I don't have the acronyms down yet). I experienced pain and tightness in my right hip about 1 week after surgery and it has improved somewhat but is still tight and I have trouble lifting my right leg into pants etc... I am also in physical therapy and have been stretching the hip flexer which seems to help. My doctors also say at it is due to the inactivity post-op and that it will go away.

One other question: do any of you have tingling in your legs and restlessness in your legs with this pain. I have had this for the past 2 weeks constantly. Again, my doctors attribute this to inactivity but I am not satisfied with the answer as I have been increasing my activity and it has not subsided. Any thoughts, ladies?

Thanks and happy healing to us all! :-)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register