Iron pills needed or not? (sorry kind of graphic) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Iron pills needed or not? (sorry kind of graphic) Iron pills needed or not? (sorry kind of graphic)

Unread 12-25-2009, 10:07 AM
Iron pills needed or not? (sorry kind of graphic)

I was given Ferosol (sp?) for iron at discharge 5 weeks ago but at my post op she said my hemoglobin was normal. Of course I didn't ask her at my appt if I should continue to take them - I'll call on Monday, but I had a question for my sisters

I've never had problems with BM's but taking the iron pills has changed that. Seems like it's changed the consistency (sorry to be gross) to very sticky and hard to clean up after and the color is always black - does that make sense? Has anyone else had that problem?

I'm trying to take multivitamins too - something I've neglected for a while - I always took my calcium religiously. The problem with the vitamins we take is if if you don't take them with "enough" food they upset my stomach - but with being on Weight Watchers it's hard sometimes to eat enough to absorb the vitamins. Thanks for any tips!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-25-2009, 10:19 AM
Re: Iron pills needed or not? (sorry kind of graphic)

Have you tried splitting the multivitamin and take half with one meal and half with another?

Just one idea.

:xmashug4:
Unread 12-25-2009, 11:05 AM

There's an am and a pm pack to take so it's already split sort of. If it keeps up making me sick I'll have to find something less "potent" so to speak....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-25-2009, 01:27 PM

Iron will definitely change the consistency of your stools. I was them iron for anemia for a LONG time...hoping the hysterectomy will change all of that. Also - check to make sure your multi vitamin is not adding even MORE iron - that could increase your nauseousness. Good luck!
Unread 12-25-2009, 06:48 PM

Iron will also cause hard stools. Make sure you are taking colace or another stool softener.
hope you feel better soon!
Unread 12-25-2009, 07:55 PM

I also have anemia and struggled with nausea when taking the iron and/or multi vitamins. There are many different brands and I found out I had to try several until I found the ones that were okay for me. Ferro-Sequels, which my doctor suggested were okay but again it may be different for you. I think it's important to take them, especially if you were given them as discharge meds, until your doctor says it's okay to stop. And, yes, do take some sort of stool softener.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register