Panniculectomy and TAH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Panniculectomy and TAH Panniculectomy and TAH

Unread 03-24-2010, 06:38 PM
Panniculectomy and TAH

Is any one else having this done? I am worried about the recovery time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-24-2010, 07:46 PM
Re: Panniculectomy and TAH

Yes, I am having the same exact things done. Except mine is on the 13th. I have just decided to have the pannus removed. I have been looking online and this site to find out as much as I can about it. I havent talked to anyone else yet who is or has had this done. I am also a little worried about the recovery time. My DR said it would require an extra day in the hospital and probably and an extra week to the recovery time. I figured might as well have it done, they are already in there and cut. I wouldnt have done it other wise.
I would love to hear from anyone else who have had it done already, too1
Unread 03-25-2010, 12:39 AM

I am also having it done March 31st, my doctor said it would increase my healing time because I would not have such a large incision. My oncologist and plastic surgeon are getting ready to publish a study that states women who have them recover better. So that sounds encouraging.

They did not say anything about staying in the hospital longer, but he did say I would come home with drains in and then have to return every two weeks to have removed. I asked if I could manage them myself at home and he said yes.

My doc also said it would allow them to check better for cancer and have most everything out of their way. The plastic surgeon told me my incision would go from hip to hip and he is not sure I will be able to keep my belly button. But since it does not really serve a purpose I guess that is ok. LOL So that is all I know about it until next wednesday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2010, 08:27 AM

My dr said I would be in the hospital 7-10 days. I am really worried about that. Maybe we will recover better but in what time frame? Just wondering. If you feel up to it after your surgery, will you keep us posted so we know in advance what to be scared of?
Unread 03-25-2010, 12:43 PM

patrioteet: Thanks for sharing your concerns as well, guess there are more out there having this proceedure than I thought. My DR said that I would be in the hospital at least one extra day and she would also put in the drains. I wont know the exact details until my pre-op appt. Maybe we could start a new club...."The no belly button club for women"HA LOL It's not like I am going to go out and buy a 2 piece for summer (or anytime for that matter!)anyway. Doesn't matter to me. I have had other surgeries on my stomach as well, so right now it looks like a bunch on train tracks anyway. I have had exploritory, Gall bladder out (right before they switched to the 3 little insisions, now i have a scar from one side to the other) 1 emergency c-section(up and down) and 3 bikini c-section scars. I am just ready and a bit scared but ready to be done with all this and move on to live life! Hang in there and let us know how you are doing, if there is anything I can do let me know. I have a great listening ear! Take care and hope to talk to you soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotette View Post
I am also having it done March 31st, my doctor said it would increase my healing time because I would not have such a large incision. My oncologist and plastic surgeon are getting ready to publish a study that states women who have them recover better. So that sounds encouraging.

They did not say anything about staying in the hospital longer, but he did say I would come home with drains in and then have to return every two weeks to have removed. I asked if I could manage them myself at home and he said yes.

My doc also said it would allow them to check better for cancer and have most everything out of their way. The plastic surgeon told me my incision would go from hip to hip and he is not sure I will be able to keep my belly button. But since it does not really serve a purpose I guess that is ok. LOL So that is all I know about it until next wednesday.
Unread 03-25-2010, 01:18 PM

Well Girls I am planning on putting on my two piece suit, belly button or not. I know it is not a pretty site but I am going to do it. I should have a somewhat of a flat stomach. Now if they can only do something about the thighs, the butt, the arms. Ok maybe I should rething the two piece ;-)
Unread 03-25-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleeding909 View Post
Well Girls I am planning on putting on my two piece suit, belly button or not. I know it is not a pretty site but I am going to do it. I should have a somewhat of a flat stomach. Now if they can only do something about the thighs, the butt, the arms. Ok maybe I should rething the two piece ;-)
Unread 03-26-2010, 09:15 PM

Just to update you on my situation and hopefully it will help someone else. The plastic surgeons office called today and said my insurance company denied covering my Panniculectomy because it was considered cosmetic and not mediacally necessary. Even though my doc's submitted a ton of documentation with pictures and all.

They did decide we are continuing with the surgery as planned and if they don't cover it we will work out payments. So make sure about your insurance and pre-certification.

I will keep you posted.
Unread 03-26-2010, 09:19 PM

My insurance said no too! But my dr kept on it.
Unread 04-15-2010, 06:45 PM

14 Days post op, doing pretty well. Most of the discomfort now is from hysterectomy. First few days to week the plastic surgery was hard. The first thing for me was my skin being so tight I could not stand up straight. So be careful when the nurse comes to get you out of bed to walk around. I got to the point where I just had my husband help me. I did have a walker that was a life saver. Because I was able to bend forward and walk.

Sitting was hard because of the tightness too, just take it slow and give your skin time to stretch. I was able to keep my belly button, I think the Dr was more excited about that than I was.

Only downer is I am still using drains, went for my check up yestertday and I am still putting out to much fluid for them to remove so it will be another two weeks. I have had some irritation around the drain sight 2 coming out of the top of my pubic area. My husband has to help me with them and checks them for me for infection. We did have to put some neosporin on the other day.

All in all, things going well. Just frustrated at still being so helpless, because skin still being so tight around my abdomend I still need help using the bathroom. But I am hoping this to will pass.

Hope this helps anyone else who is having the same surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register