Made my "Choice" to have hyster...question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Made my "Choice" to have hyster...question Made my "Choice" to have hyster...question

Unread 07-10-2002, 03:58 PM
Made my "Choice" to have hyster...question

I joined this wonderful support group last week when I was given a "choice"...don't you hate that word in reference to a hysterectomy. I either was going in for right ovary removal and adhesion removal plus D&C for abnormal bleeding and enlarged uterus OR right ovary/adhesion thing with hysterectomy. What a choice huh? but...you all have been so helpful to me...many of you had to make the same "choice". My surgery is scheduled for July 22 and I will have an abdominal hysterectomy (will keep my cervix) with right salpingo-oopherectomy. I will be able to keep my left ovary I think.

I have two questions. What does it feel like to go into temporary "hormone shock" even if ovary kept? and Do you know what happens to the ligaments that support the uterus when it is no longer there?

Thanks for you help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-10-2002, 04:33 PM
Made my "Choice" to have hyster...question

Hi Alicia,

Since I was already taking HRT (because of going through menopause) before my hyst, I didn't experience the hormone shock that you asked about, but I am sure that someone else will come along soon who has and who will be able to answer.

You also asked about the ligaments that support the uterus. Another member posted about her pre-op appointment today and said that she had asked her doctor that question. I replied to her post asking her to reply to your question, and hopefully, she will be back online soon and you'll have that answer.

Have you read through the pre-op and post-op hints that are found in the drop-down menus located on the main page? The links are here:

Pre-Op Hysterectomy Articles

Hysterectomy Recovery Articles

Also, the book "Through the Land of Hyster" has lots more information, and helps to keep the web site free.

I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

's

Karen
Unread 07-10-2002, 04:43 PM
Hope this helps...

Hi Alicia,
I was also supposed to lose one ovary, but as it turned out my doctor was able to "clean up" the bad one , so I kept both of them. I had a Tvh.
I did go into hormone shock. And basicly, it feels like raging P.m.S. with an added bonus of roasting, sweating , and itching. This happened to me in the hospital , (was there for 2 nights and 3 days) but I did not "realize" what was happening to me until much later. Knowlege is power girl, so bring a paper fan( you know the little giesha /church lady fans?) LOL, and if you're all itchy TELL someone. I had a nauseated ,wimpy roommate who kept telling ALL her visitors to turn off the airconditioner.Which they DID! So, I was in hormone shock and assumed it was because I thought the room was hot. (it was really more overblown than that to me< I just didn't know) So , If you feel unreasonably HOT or WEEPY-it may very well be the hormonal shock..AND , if you have a self centered roommate like mine, just remember YOUR comfort is JUST as important as HERS!
And about your second question, I asked my doctor that one ,while I was stripping down for surgery.(he was outside the curtain , reading MY list ) I believe I asked him"once you take all that out, what "holds "everything up? " he said "I will stitch all the ligaments into place to hold everything up"
I am 3 weeks post op now, have been WAY too busy , but all in all , doing really good. I hope I can now REST and be recovering for the next week or so.
feel free to e mail me
Lazylena@hotmail.com
I'll be praying for ya!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-10-2002, 04:47 PM
Hi Alicia,

I had a TAH on May 23 and kept both ovaries. The only hormonal thing I noticed was that I had some hot flashes which started about a week after surgery. I contacted my doctor and he said that my ovaries were probably in shock from the surgery, and he suggested taking an over-the-counter soy supplement. I started taking Estroven, and within a week, the hot flashes stopped. I'm still taking Estroven, and have noticed no other symptoms, not even the usual cranky PMS I would get before.

In regard to the ligaments that were holding up your uterus, the vaginal vault is attached to them to hold it up. (The top of the vagina is sewn shut at the end, like the cuff on a shirt, making the vaginal vault.)

Hope this helps. And welcome to Hystersisters.

Best wishes and lots of s,

Lisa
Unread 07-10-2002, 08:21 PM
What about those ligaments???

Hi Alicia,

Karen (KDeit) got ahold of me and asked that I post here since I had my pre-op today and asked my doctor what he would do with the ligaments that support my soon to be gone uterus. (And the only reason I knew to ask that question was becuase of this site!!!) I asked him if he would attach them to my bladder to give it extra support. He said no, he would bring them across the "vaginal dome" and attach them to one another giving the dome additional support. That's cool. At least they can be used for something and since I don't have any bladder problems (that I know of) then that sounds like a good place for them!

Welcome to HysterSisters and I wish a peaceful pre-op and post-op for you!

Gillian

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register