Worried, frustrated, upset - could I have some advice please? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Worried, frustrated, upset - could I have some advice please? Worried, frustrated, upset - could I have some advice please?

Unread 09-13-2013, 04:06 AM
Worried, frustrated, upset - could I have some advice please?

Hello

I've seen the consultant and my doctor this week and they're both telling me that my main symptoms are not normal for a fibroid but aren't offering me any explanation as to what they could be. So I'm asking if anyone else gets these symptoms. My fibroid is the size of a grapefruit apparently. Thank you all.
  • bloating
  • feeling that my organs are being pushed up into my chest
  • a tightness in the base of my throat
  • needing to buy maternity jeans as none of mine fit any longer
  • discomfort when sitting
  • fatigue so bad I must sleep every afternoon
  • only being able to work half days

Consultant asked me if I thought my fatigue might be ME (no I don't)
Doctor says the bloating, pushing and tight throat are not symptoms he's ever heard of before.

But reading on here tells me different.

On day 11 of my period, which is grim, but you all know what that's like!

Feeling quite alone and isolated with this today. Could do with hearing your experiences and a bit of cyber reassurance if that's alright.

Thanks very much
RK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-13-2013, 05:55 AM
Re: Worried, frustrated, upset - could I have some advice please?

Please keep in mind that I have not had my hysterectomy yet, it will be next week. But when my doctor tried to perform another surgery, he found a fibroid on top of my uterus on a stalk that was as big as a baby's head. Some things I have that I *hope* are from the fibroid are

bloating
shortness of breath on occasion
lower back pain (especially when I try to walk for exercise)
have to pee all the time and occasionally don't make it
my stomach area goes through these times of feeling heavy or full all the time and it doesn't seem to be eating related (like it can feel like that, even though I haven't eaten)
the top part of my stomach keeps this mushroom like appearance. I always said well I must have gained some weight and my clothes are too tight, but after I found out about the fibroid and how high it is, I really started to look in the mirror and the mushroom shape is there all the time. Now it isn't THAT noticeable, unless you know what to look for, but my husband did say he had already noticed it and thought the same thing.

I've also read many other people's story about fibroids and would say that no two cases are exactly the same, some may have similar symptoms, but not all. Good luck and keep pushing until you are satisfied. Also, mine were never seen on ultrasound, so when the doctor found it, we were all surprised, especially since I didn't have what I consider the classic symptom of the crazy bleeding. Hope this helps.
Unread 09-13-2013, 06:36 AM

I Had A Total Hysterectomy On Aug 28 Due To A Fibroid 11Cm (Size Of A Baby Head) I Had AllOf Your Symptoms And Then Some We Are All Different KeepYour HeadUp And Good Luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-13-2013, 08:53 AM

I'm 5 weeks post-op and some of what you're describing sounds like the symptoms I had with an ovarian cyst that was 11 cm. I had bloating, felt and looked like I was four months pregnant, felt like there wasn't enough room for my organs. The cyst pushed my uterus off to the side, so my abdomen was constantly bloated looking. I also felt fatigued and uncomfortable a lot. Stretching out was good, sitting made me feel cramped and I would have to stretch my legs out at work, just to feel comfortable. I would think any large cyst in your reproductive organs could cause many of these symptoms.

Have they done tests, like an ultrasound or CT scan? What were the results? I would ask for the reports. It seems odd to me that they are saying they don't know. I would press them more for answers and, if necessary, the tests needed to provide the answers. You will have a much easier time if they know what they're going to find when they do the surgery than if they're surprised and their lack of answers don't give me a lot of confidence.

Not to scare you, but they thought my ovarian cyst was cancerous. They had an oncologist doing the surgery, so if it was, they could check other things while I was on the operating table. In the end, it was benign, but I was grateful that they went into surgery so prepared and the only surprise was a good one.

Good luck getting the answers you need to inform yourself before heading into surgery!

lrsister
Unread 09-13-2013, 09:00 AM

If you have heavy bleeding have they checked you for anemia? In cases of severe anemia you can develop esophageal webbing - for me that felt like a tightness in my throat and difficulty swallowing. Anemia also will cause life altering fatigue. It's really common in those of us with heavy bleeding - if you haven't had a CBC done lately to check ferritin, hemoglobin and hemocrit it can't hurt to check.
Unread 09-13-2013, 11:17 AM

I suffer from anemia and the fatigue is awful. I suggest you may need to be screened for thyroid problems. I have hypothyroidism and it causes fatigue and if your thyroid is swollen could cause the neck problems.
Unread 09-13-2013, 02:34 PM

Thank you lovely ladies

I should have mentioned the following
[list][*]ultrsound amd exam done
  • thyroid
  • iron
  • blood sugars
  • live and kidney finction

All done twice and fine

No anaemia either

I have fibroid the size of a grapefruit.

It's no good though them saying 'your symptoms aren't normal' with no suggestions to bak it up.

Thanks for all your support. Really appreciate it especially today.
Unread 09-13-2013, 02:46 PM

Doctors are human, too. Maybe they aren't offering any suggestions as to what might be going on because they have no clue. They know that the symptoms aren't typical of fibroids, but they just don't know what might be causing the symptoms, esp. given that your ultrasound and blood work came back normal.

I see that your surgery is scheduled for the 30th and that it's going to be abdominal. This will give your surgeon an opportunity to look around and see if there's anything else in your pelvic area that obviously out of whack.
Unread 09-13-2013, 05:14 PM

Im due a tah and bso on monday for a fibroid like yours.
I have your symptoms and i also have a buzzing sensation in my groin that feels like a mobile phone going off!
Ive had different experts say these things are related or they blame everything on anxiety!
It all sounds familiar to me x
Unread 09-13-2013, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutteetart View Post
Im due a tah and bso on monday for a fibroid like yours.
I have your symptoms and i also have a buzzing sensation in my groin that feels like a mobile phone going off!
Ive had different experts say these things are related or they blame everything on anxiety!
It all sounds familiar to me x
Thank you, you lovely lovely woman. All the very best for you on Monday and beyond.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register