I feel so depressed, slow recovery. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I feel so depressed, slow recovery. I feel so depressed, slow recovery.

Unread 10-10-2005, 06:16 AM
I feel so depressed, slow recovery.

Hello, I am 5wks post-op and still can't walk or sit properly.

I had a huge operation, hysterectomy,anterior and posterior vaginal repair, entocyle repair and TVT. Also, I had a rare complication causing severe pain in my groin and complete loss of feeling in one leg. I came home with a catheter which I had for 3wks.
Now I have no feeling to spend a penny, and my bowels are still a major problem.

I suppose it would be fairly normal to be a bit down, but each day shows no real improvement.
I can't get out on my own, and my husband works long hours.

Does anyone else feel their recovery is taking much longer than they anticipated? I would welcome any tips or advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-10-2005, 06:38 AM

It has been a long road...I think I believed that I would not experience all of these "side ffects" when I read the post op board before surgery.
My fear of the surgery itself must have clouded my vision. I am 4 weeks... I think people expect me to feel alot better than what I do.
At this stage of recovery they are much less understanding. I hope you turn the corner soon. Don't get too down. I'll be thinking of you.
Unread 10-10-2005, 06:43 AM

I didn't have near the repairs done that you did and I remember calling someone I didn't know but heard she had a hysterectomy a few months ahead of me, just to ask her if I should be walking without my pillow and up straight.... at three weeks Post-Op. Then , I went searching for info on the web and found this site. I learned that we are all different and heal at different paces. Be easy on yourself, keep your doctor informed and call a friend to keep you company or take you on an outing... maybe to the library for some books? I got very teary at week 4 or 5 for no apparant reason. It was a miserable feeling so I sympathize with you. Some of the Articles kept me busy and informed on my progress so I didn't feel like I was alone. I soon found out here at Hystersisters, we are never alone

You have found new
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-10-2005, 08:06 AM

I am so sorry you are having all these things happen. I've just had a good talk with the doc and myself and have decided it is alright for me to take some time getting better.

I am 3 weeks post op today. I received permission [with stipulations] to attend a wedding this past Saturday. I did well, until after eating at the reception and it hit me like a wall. Fatigue. Hubby got me home, up the stairs, undressed in in bed.

My son, who was in the wedding, was telling me people were asking how I was at the wedding brunch yesterday, and he told them I did well until I was tired. Some idiot woman there told him she was up doing various and sundry amazing things 2 weeks after her surgery, and acting like I was a sluggard and just being lazy and spoiled. Why do people behave in this manner?

Wish I'd have been there, I'd have clued her in on a few truths.

People are not going to determine how my recovery goes or what I feel I can or must do. Slow and steady, sometimes wins the race, and this is a race I am determined to win.

I hope you win, and win well too!

~Karen
Unread 10-10-2005, 08:20 AM

I'm sorry that you are feeling down. It's normal to feel that way. Week 4 and 5 were hard for me too. You had major surgery with lots of work done. It is going to take some time to recover. Don't look at your progress day to day, but week to week and then it seems better.

I'm struggling with some incision problems here at 10 weeks, but I can say that I really did feel so much better at about 8 weeks. Still have ups and downs, but it's getting better. Take care of yourself, it will get better.
Unread 10-10-2005, 12:55 PM

Thank you so much for all your thoughts and kind wishes.
I makes you feel better when you know that you are not alone in feeling this way. I was wishing that I had not had all this surgery done in one go, I notice from this site that it is often done in stages in The States.

I am encouraged to get through this set-back, and take things one step at a time.
This is the first time I have an internet message board, so I see that as an achievement, even if I have to stand to type!
Unread 10-10-2005, 05:01 PM

Hi Ukbabe - I'm in uk too

I think many ladies feel they meet a brick wall between 4-6 weeks post op so don't be hard on your self. You've had a massive op and will take time to recover. People around us aren't as sympathetic either and seem to expect us to be leaping around like spring bunnies which doesn't help an iota. Listen to your body and what it's telling you, not anyone else or anything else. (except maybe your gp!.) Maybe the lack of feeling when you need to potty is due to the nerves still needing recovery time - it would be worth talking to your dr about it if you haven't already.

At 12 weeks post op I was still having extreme lower back pain, sciatica and was totally wiped soooo easily still. My gp gently told me off for being so hard on myself and said the times scales of recovery are averages only and there has to be those below average to make that figure in the first place. He said we are all individual and it depends also on what we went through before surgery as it takes time for our bodies to recover from that on top of our surgery. (I hope that makes sense!!)

Good luck with your healing - just remember you only have one chance to do that so be kind to yourself and keep your chin up.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register