First Surgery and a little scared any help would be appreciated! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

First Surgery and a little scared any help would be appreciated! First Surgery and a little scared any help would be appreciated!

Unread 12-25-2006, 03:35 PM
First Surgery and a little scared any help would be appreciated!

This is my first real surgery with an overnight stay. I had an ablation in March that worked pretty good until September and with the cysts and all it was time. I think it was called Dilaudid that he said he would give me after surgery. Ialso have a high tolerance for pain killers and sleeping pills (ambien,lunesta doesnot work)and can not take codiene.I do not have the support of my boyfriend of over 11 yrs in this and he lives out of town and does not understand that this is not elective surgery(as he has said many times) and it does not do me any good to tell him otherwise as he just does not get it. My 28 yr old daughter will be there until I go in and on to work she will have to go (her boss is a true winner) so I will be alone most of the day after the surgery if not all. The preop was stressful as they blew through several veins and hit a nerve before getting what they needed. Any suggestions would be most appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-25-2006, 03:45 PM

DawnieBeth,

I know that you are feeling very alone and frightened right now. I know that you are worried about being alone but if your surgery day will be anthing like mine you will be too busy to worry about ebing alone. From the time I got there I was busy with all the pre-surgery stuff - ie, specimens, surgery hose, iv's yada, yada, yada. Then you will be in recovery where they will have you still heavily medicated which is the way you stay for the remaining of the day. The nurses will check on you so much that you wish they would go away so you can rest. I had wonderful nurses that took great care and even asked about things before I even asked myself.

I will say a prayer for you - I'm sure you will be fine. What type of surgery will you be having?
Unread 12-25-2006, 04:22 PM

Hi Dawniebeth - this must be quite an intimidating experience for you. I've been in and out of hospital a few times since I was a child and my last time was earlier this year. None of them were for anything this big, so I'm nervous, but probably less so than you. I have some idea of what to expect, although things may be very different at my local hospital, especially if we aren't in the same country. Even within the UK there are big differences, and that's before you even get down to individual doctors, procedures and patients.

Having said that...there are a few things.

One is to find out the visiting times and make the most of the visitors you have. Make a list for your daughter of anything you might need - top of my list for my DH are clean undies, fresh orange juice (with bits in it) and puzzle books. Previous experience of surgery has taught me that I need a happy medium between daytime TV and Improving Books - some people might be able to get through the whole of Dickens while they are laid up. I'm pleased with myself if I can get my head round Georgette Heyer and a crossword.

Another thing to remember is that hospital wards/bays can be desperately boring places and this can do strange things to the brain. If you find yourself looking forward to the appearance of the observations trolley, meds, meals and junior doctors, don't worry - this is normal. You are in hospital, in the aftermath of major surgery and you aren't about to go out and paint the town red. Your options for amusement are limited to what comes in through the door. I knew I was in trouble when I couldn't remember what was on my menu card for dinner and actually found that exciting.

Don't worry if you don't sleep well while you are in hospital. It can be hard to drop off while you are in a strange bed, let alone when you are poorly and in pain. Don't be afraid to ask for more painkillers if you need them - no-one expects you to be a model patient. My local NHS hospital has wards divided into bays of 6 beds apiece - this doesn't give you a lot of privacy, but it means you have some company and it's easier for the nursing staff to keep an eye on everybody. It also means that should you be unable to get to your buzzer, someone else will use theirs for you. The last time I was in hospital, I used my bedside buzzer as much for other people as for me, especially the poor lady in the bed next to mine who was admitted with agonising kidney stones. The debit side is other people's noise, visitors, and machinery - another lady in my bay had a temperamental drip that kept us all awake one night.

I hope this has been useful - please post again if you need to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-25-2006, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by february
DawnieBeth,

I know that you are feeling very alone and frightened right now. I know that you are worried about being alone but if your surgery day will be anthing like mine you will be too busy to worry about ebing alone. From the time I got there I was busy with all the pre-surgery stuff - ie, specimens, surgery hose, iv's yada, yada, yada. Then you will be in recovery where they will have you still heavily medicated which is the way you stay for the remaining of the day. The nurses will check on you so much that you wish they would go away so you can rest. I had wonderful nurses that took great care and even asked about things before I even asked myself.

I will say a prayer for you - I'm sure you will be fine. What type of surgery will you be having?
That's very useful for me as well february. My hospital has very restricted visiting for gynae, and my DH can only make the evening session because of work. He has limited holiday time and wants to save what he has for when I'm discharged. My parents and siblings don't live nearby, so I'm not expecting loads of visitors. On balance, I think it's probably better; the last time I was in hospital I noticed how tired those with a lot of visitors looked, as opposed to those of us with only one or two. It doesn't sounds as if I'll have the time or the inclination for more than that this time, especially as it's such a big operation.

Plus, as you say...surgery hose. Very necessary, but not the most glamorous things to be seen in. They take a while to get on and get used to, especially if you haven't used them before. At first, I thought they felt weird, but after a while I found them very comfortable. But they have to be the right size and pulled all the way up, or they won't be as effective.
Unread 12-25-2006, 06:25 PM

Thanks so much for all of your advise. I am having a LAVH BSO am 47 years old. They did not tell me what to bring so the information has been very helpful. I am received lots of magazines from my friends and read more than watch TV. My sister is going to pick me up at the hospital on the 29th (Surgery 27th) but not sure what morning means. I also have never had a catheter and am a little more than freaked at that. When I had the ablation it was gone before I was awake and it caused an infection that they had to treat after I went home. They said that they give antibotics in IV and also to take home along with a pain killer. How long does it take for you to be able to not have someone take care of you? My neighbor said she painted her apartment 5 days after coming home! I am very independent and am very use to doing things without assitance. I was and still am a single mother (she is now 28, divorced at 20 she was 2) and the oldest of 5 so I have always been the caregiver. I am also have a very Obsessive personality as my sister say I think things over to much and drive myself crazy. She just goes with the flow and I wish I could be more like her.
Unread 12-25-2006, 06:28 PM

Also I have not heard of the surgery hose. When do they put those on you?
Unread 12-25-2006, 06:30 PM

Hi Dawniebeth,

I am also going for my first surgery. I have never stayed overnight in the hospital aside for when I was 3, and I am very very scared. I have been trying to make sure everything is in order before I go in (which is in 2 days) In order at home so I can feel comfortable. That has kept my mind busy. I would've never elected to go through or have this surgery. Keep the faith
Unread 12-25-2006, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawniebeth
Also I have not heard of the surgery hose. When do they put those on you?
I was wondering about that too.
Unread 12-25-2006, 06:42 PM

Thanks, a big hug back to you. Since I am so obsessive about things I have everything in order, done all the shopping and the last thing I will do tomorrow before going to bed is vac my carpets and water the plants, I have even arranged for work to give me VPN to my computer at work (I work for a school district in technology/CIO office we go back 1/8) since I wont be back until 22nd. I am doing this over my winter break in order to only lose 9 days of work. They think I am being a company girl!!!
I will send you a prayer and think of you when I get to the hospital since I will be going in the sametime you do. I will look for you on the post message board to see how you are getting along. I think
Unread 12-25-2006, 07:00 PM

I also work for the school system. I teach 6th grade, so I had to leave 4 weeks of plans because I won't be back until Jan. 30. We go back on January 2. I had a lot of trouble leaving for break, as the children are not happy with me leaving. I reasured them I would be fine. I really don't want to be away from my classes for that long, but I realize in order to be an effective teacher, I have to get rid of this pain! I will also think of you and look for your post afterwards

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register