Foods to eat after..foods not to | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Foods to eat after..foods not to Foods to eat after..foods not to

Unread 04-22-2008, 10:28 PM
Foods to eat after..foods not to

Hi there I was just wondering what would be "GOOD FOOD" to eat after and what "BAD FOOD" not to. I'm thinking for more along the lines for bathroom issues. I already eat mainly veggies and fruits,fish and chicken. I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this.
THANKS!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2008, 12:05 AM

The foods you have listed look good. They won't cause any constipation problems. For the first few days after you'll only be in the mood for very soft food.

Here is my list of foods that I ate. I got my list from suggestions on the board. These were suggested as foods that are easy to digest.

Chicken Broth
Jello cups
Cranberry Juice to prevent UTI
Prune Juice to prevent constipation
Prunes
Instant Oatmeal
Eggs
Toast
Apple sauce
Chicken Noodle Soup
Saltine Crackers
Waffles
Cereal
Chicken
Mashed potatoes

Then you should avoid Bananas and Rice. They slow down the bowels and cause constipation. I'm sure there are more but I don't know what they are.
Unread 04-23-2008, 04:13 AM

You will want to avoid broccoli, melon and other gas producing foods, as you will likely already have a lot of gas. I made sure my toast and cereal were high fiber, since the vicodin I took for pain made me very constipated. Drinking lots of water is helpful, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2008, 05:26 AM

My tastes changed for a short while after my surgery. I just ate what tasted good. I did avoid those foods which I know cause me gas. Mostly I just tried to make healthy choices. I did eat a lot of soup.

The narcotic pain meds do cause constipation. I found that after about 3 days, I was able to make a switch to a tylenol/motrin combination which worked very very well for me, even at night I actually slept better without the narcotics. Just something to think about.....

Water is the most important...so drink drink drink lots of it

s and Best Wishes,
Kay
Unread 04-23-2008, 11:03 AM

I just thought of another one. Cheese causes constipation so avoid that.
Unread 04-23-2008, 11:11 AM

Dairy products in general can cause constipation, in some cases increase gas as well. Yes, narcotics do cause constipation, staying hydrated is extremely important. Also ( I have to say it, sorry, training) no alcohol while on pain meds!!!!!! I'm sure you know that, but I had to mention it. If there are certain foods that cause issues for you such as gas or constipation, avoid them. Drink lots and lots of water, cannot stress that enough. And move around as much as you are able, it helps keep the bowel going. Can't think of any specific foods that haven't already been mentioned, agree with everything posted above
Unread 04-23-2008, 11:28 AM

One thing I'm wondering about, that I have to look up online, is what foods are high in estrogen as I imagine I'll have to avoid them. Estrogen feeds endo and, as I've been told, if there's even some microscopic stuff left in my system, it will grow if I keep it well fed.
Unread 04-23-2008, 11:38 AM

The only one I know about is soy. You'll want to avoid soy products like soybeans, soy milk, tofu. Actually I've thought about this too and wonder what all products have soy in them without me even realizing it. I think soy is used in lots of products isn't it? If someone knows please chime in.
Unread 04-23-2008, 08:52 PM

Soy is added to a lot of foods now a days which makes avoding it a nightmare for people like me who are allergic to the stuff, its used in many camercal breads, puddings, cerals, etc ... very hard to avoid and a nightmare in hosptial since many of the foods they serve they say are soy free but in reality are NOT.
Unread 04-23-2008, 09:28 PM

I disagree with some of the suggestions. Your diet will depend on what YOU feel like eating. Listen to your cravings.

I had an LSH. I literally went back to normal food within 5-6 hours of surgery. My daily diet included oatmeal, whole grain cereal, cheese, dried fruit, salads, meat and starches.

Again, listen to your body, not to what others tell you you should eat (unless that is your Dr.) LOL!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register