Hysterectomy Bowel Prep | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy Bowel Prep Hysterectomy Bowel Prep

Unread 07-09-2014, 07:20 AM
Hysterectomy Bowel Prep

Just checking that I'm doing this right. 8oz Gatorade and Miralax mix every 15 minutes. So, that's four servings for the round this morning and then another four servings for later this afternoon, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-09-2014, 01:50 PM
Re: Hysterectomy Bowel Prep

I'm thinking doctors do it different ways...I had to take 2 dulcolax tablets at 3 pm, and then at 5 pm I have to drink 8 oz of miralax/Gatorade (for a total of 64oz) mixture every 30 min til gone. Then 2 more dulcolax pills at 7 pm
Unread 07-09-2014, 01:56 PM

All do bowel prep differently, so I would advise to call the Drs office to be certain you are doing what they wanted you to do specifically. Some of your surgery and aftercare is based on your specific instructions...so be careful. Only do what your Dr says so your surgery is not compromised. I was lucky and didn't have any bowel prep and did fine. Take care and good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-16-2014, 07:37 AM

Wow, you guys have intense bowel prep. I was just sent a letter saying to use 2 glycerine suppositories the night before. I've decided to go way more gung ** and i am going to have a few colonics to clear everything out in the weeks before. I do not want to be full of crap and then get constipated from the pain meds. I much prefer to work from below as I hate the cramping and unexpected potential diarrhoea from taking oral laxatives.
Unread 07-16-2014, 09:37 AM

I don't even have bowel prep, however I am not allowed food at all today. I can have jello and sprite.
Unread 07-16-2014, 09:53 AM

I had a total abdominal hyst. All out. Im in my 12th week. I didnt have to do a bowel prep. Thank the lord! Everything went great!!! From a Tx hyst sis. Ps.. not all docs call for one.
Unread 07-16-2014, 10:46 AM

No bowel prep for me...clear liquids the day before and nothing after midnight. I was dreading having to drink the prep stuff and was so relieved to not have to as I have a hard time getting stuff like that down. I am a wimp when it comes to nasty tasting stuff...but have done great post-op!
Unread 07-16-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCullo View Post
Wow, you guys have intense bowel prep. I was just sent a letter saying to use 2 glycerine suppositories the night before. I've decided to go way more gung ** and i am going to have a few colonics to clear everything out in the weeks before. I do not want to be full of crap and then get constipated from the pain meds. I much prefer to work from below as I hate the cramping and unexpected potential diarrhoea from taking oral laxatives.
Please...Only do what your Dr suggests for you. Your surgery, anesthesia and even your pain management during and after surgery is some what planned according to your specific instructions - including bowel prep. If you feel you want to do more, at least contact your Drs office and get the "okay" to do so. Then they know what to plan for and there won't be any last minute game changers for you either. Take care and good Luck!
Unread 07-16-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvstocruise View Post
I had a total abdominal hysterectomy. All out. Im in my 12th week. I didnt have to do a bowel prep. Thank the lord! Everything went great!!! From a Tx hyst sis. Ps.. not all docs call for one.
Yeah. I'm having a TAH in the next few weeks, and the first thing I asked my doc was if I needed to do a bowel prep before hand. I was told not to worry about it as there was no need for me to do one. However, I do worry that I will have to deal with severe constipation post op.
Unread 07-16-2014, 07:20 PM

I'm supposed to do an enema the night before. Horrible!!! I asked if I could 5 day fast instead and they said yes. My only worry now is if I will be able to do it since I've been terribly anemic lately and had 1 transfusion and when I go to long without eating something I get even more lightheaded than usual. I've done liquid diets anyway for 2 weeks so 5 days seemed like nothing but I wasn't anemic then either. I'm really hoping at my pre-op next Wed my doc doesn't tell me to do the enema. Haven't had that bad experience since I was a kid.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register