Scheduled TAH Nov. 17th is getting closer & I'm scared - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Nov. 17th is getting closer & I'm scared Nov. 17th is getting closer & I'm scared

Unread 11-03-2009, 12:58 PM
Re: Nov. 17th is getting closer & I'm scared

Well, I have to have a BSO. I hope that is right. They are going to remove my ovaries and tubes, as well as the uterus and cervix. I don't know if I put that in there before or not. So, it's the whole kit and kaboodle. I'm not close with my mom, and when I told her she was like "you'll be fine, everyone gets hysterectomies". I was like yeah, I know it's a common procedure, but I'm only 40 and she never had any problems when she was my age, and I'm scared. No sympathy. No care. Just a whatever attitude. I know we're not bossom buddies, but throw me a bone here. I get more sympathy from my 14 yr. old son. Sorry I'm feeling sorry for myself. I've gotten a few books to read about hysts. So, that's been keeping me busy. My son drank most of the juices that I bought for myself during my recovery. When did teenage boys decide it's okay to eat and drink every single thing in the home??!!?? I know he's going through a growth spurt, but yikes! So, I'll be back to the grocery stores before the 17th to stock up again. I've been reading some of the posts on the website. There are really some incredible and inspiration women on here. I hope everything goes as well for me as some of their experiences. If I just stay positive and try to remember the first few days are the worst and once they are past me, it only get's better. Personal note, I was never baptized, so this past weekend, I finally was able to do that in our church. My husband and I want to have our marriage blessed in the church, but after attending Pre-Cana classes over the weekend too, was told that you had to actually ahve intercourse in order to validate the marriage. (this is the Catholic Diocese). Well, I don't thinkt hat at this present time, any type of physical intercourse is possible, so we are going to wait until after my recovery, and then have a nice intimate blessing and then slowly try to get back into the grove of being husband and wife. I am truly blessed to have such a wonderful husband. I have been just wretched to him. I know physically, mentally, and emotionally, I haven't been there for a while. It makes it really tough on a marriage to go through all of this. But, I think if we can make it through this, it will make us stronger. I appreciate him, my son, my family, and my new hyster sister friends so much more. Well girls, let's hope everyone has a good day and night. Prayers for the girls who are having surgeries this week, and those in recovery. I'll be one of the punctured princesses soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-03-2009, 01:06 PM

I was feeling the same way before my TAH/BOS. I'm only 39 yrs old and worried that I might regret having such a drastic surgery. I'm 5 weeks post-op and I am so glad I had the surgery. I feel better than I have in years, and didn't have any menapause symptoms. My dr. gave me a hormone shot before I left the hospital, and started me on hormone pills on my 2 week post op appt. I was back at work a few days before my 4 week mark.
Unread 11-03-2009, 01:12 PM

Really?! What kind of work do you do? I work in an office, so I told my boss that it was 6-8 week recovery, depending on how I feel. I'm worried that I'll go batty being home that long. Did you have hormone problems in the hospital? (hot flashes, etc?) Some people have told me that I need to wait and see if anything happens. And they tell me to do the patch, not the pills. I'm glad you are doing good. I hope everything goes smoothly for me, like it did for you. Did you have endo too?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-03-2009, 03:08 PM

mrsmack315

I too am scheduled 11/19/09 for a LSH because I was recently diagnosed with Adenomyosis, heavy bleeding and bad cramping, however the procedure could change but my md won't know until she gets in there. I am in the same boat... It is like my body knows I will never have another cycle because for some reason the cramping is the worst it ever has been and the bleeding is just ridiculous.... Good luck to everyone who will be having their hysterectomy and wish you all the best and a speedy recovery.
Unread 11-04-2009, 04:03 AM

Hi Carestav i know just how you feel, my TAH is tommorrow and i am so scared, but am greatley helped by this site. Take care and try to keep busy it really does take your mind off it,xxxxx
Unread 11-04-2009, 12:34 PM

Well, I had an appointment with my doctor today, so I could ask him the 10,000 questions I jotted down. I am so relieved. He went through each and every one of them. And we sat and talked in detail about everything. That really helped to put a lot of the fears I had at ease. it's the fear of not knowing. And I didn't want to be questioning myself after I had the surgery. So, everything is a go for the 17th at 6:30 a.m. He said we are going to play the hormone's by ear, and we'll see if I have any symptoms after my surgery. He said most likely I will have hot flashes, but it's the frequency that we'll have to wait and see about. I asked him if I should go on hormones right away, and he feels that we should see what symptoms I have and give it at least a good 6 months with having my endo removed and ovaries, etc. If you girls have anything to add to this, let me know. Because I've heard you should start a patch or pills right away, but he seems to think we need to wait. Maybe I'll be lucky and not have terrible episodes. I just keep praying. Thanks everyone for your posts. I read them every day ten times a day to keep my moral up. Take care.
Unread 11-04-2009, 01:16 PM

I work in an office too. I told my boss that I would be out about 6 weeks. After a few weeks I was feeling better and asked if I could come back part-time for a week and see how I felt. I worked 1 week part time and this week is my first full-time week. It's better to plan on 6-8 weeks, you can probably go back early if you feel up to it. I didn't have any menapause symptoms in the hospital, my dr. gave me a hormone shot 2 days after my surgery, and started me on hormone pills at my 2 week post op.
Unread 11-04-2009, 05:14 PM

my doctor is always good about answering my many questions (IF I can get past the front desk and talk to him!) - and I know the information really made me feel better.

Did you ask about your positioning during surgery? This was one thing I didn't think to ask, and was in the Trendelenburg (head down) position. I wish I would have known that ahead of time.
Unread 11-04-2009, 05:47 PM

carestev,
I also had everything removed and I am now eight weeks post surgery. I had been on Lupron for endometriosis and was in medical menopause prior to the surgery. I can tell you that for me going into surgical menopause has been very tough. My body feels like it is just struggling to recover. I see my surgeon tomorrow for another follow up and he did say he would consider HRT. They had to wait because I ended up back in the hospital for a week due to possible bowel perforation-thank goodness it seemed to heal itself. I can sort of cope with the hot flashes but the insomnia is horrible. I wake up and can't get back to sleep. My mind is just racing. I hope that the doctor has some ideas. Everyone is different but surgical menopause can be a little rough. I had asked prior to the surgery what their attitude about hormones was because it differs so much from doctor to doctor. They told me that they start it at six weeks usually. I an hoping that tomorrow they will feel more comfortable starting something. I also have a hx of osteoporosis in my family and have slight osteopenia in my hip. So I have several reasons to want to start HRT. I know everyone is different so hopefully you will not have the problems I am having right now.
Unread 11-04-2009, 08:04 PM

Oh my gosh! I am so sorry you are having trouble. I asked him about going on estrogen and a patch, etc. and he said, that I definately will have the hot flashes, but we need to see how severe they come. If they are every 15 minutes to an hour, then he said he definately will give me something. I too can't sleep at night. Haven't been able to for years. I asked him if I can continue to take 2 Tylenol Simply Sleep, which are what I've been taking for a while, and he said "yes". He said that if I needed something prescribed, we could talk about that after everything is done and I'm recovering, if they don't work. I have a lot of anxiety, and fear, but talking with him really helped. I even asked him about tacking my bladder if it needed it. He said that my uterus is actually 12 centimeters, and I guess that is enlarged more than the norm. Although I didn't ask what the norm was. (so many questions). He said I also have at least two fibroids that they can see, so, he said the possibility of there being more is pretty good. He's sure the endo is causing my pain and discomfort. I've had this darn pain in my right side for a while now, and it does not go away. I'm also a pretty big girl, and I've noticed my spare tire is getting bigger. He said that I am bloated, and he said once everything is done, it should go down in time. I asked him for a tummy tuck, but I guess you have to be saggy, and I'm just fluffy. LOL. If I could have gotten a boob job I would have asked for that too! LOL Oh well, at least I will be pain free (crossing my fingers) and pad free. He seems pretty open on HRT, so I am going to definately ask again if I start having any symptoms. Oh, and yes, my surgery will be head down. Have a good night girls.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register