Embarrassing/TMI health issue | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Embarrassing/TMI health issue Embarrassing/TMI health issue

Unread 11-25-2013, 06:37 AM
Embarrassing/TMI health issue

I'm 7 weeks out from LSH. Was doing fine until a week ago, when I started having mild-moderate diarrhea. It's been going on a week now. I don't have a fever and only mild abdominal cramping when I need to go. No blood, nausea, or loss of appetite.

My diet is extremely healthy, and has not changed in any way. I don't eat meat or sugar, nor have I eaten at any dubious restaurants.I eat yoghurt with live cultures every morning, and get plenty of fiber.

Has anyone else had this as a delayed result of surgery/antibiotics? I really do NOT want to go back to the doc if I can simply wait it out. I have what feels like a "normal" amount of energy, though I also started a flu or cold (cough and sinus congestion) at the same time as the diarrhea.

Anyone?

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-25-2013, 07:02 AM
Re: Embarrassing/TMI health issue

Sounds like it may just be a virus. I'd just call the doctor's office and ask my question. Nurses usually take the calls. They have heard it all. There are a lot more embarrassing questions than diarrhea. Believe me I've asked them. I hope feel better soon. They'll probably say this is not related to your surgery.
Unread 11-25-2013, 07:15 AM

My grandmother had years of intestinal issues following her hysterectomy because of adhesions. Of course, that is likely/hopefully not your issue but I would check in with dr. to be safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-25-2013, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRae View Post
My grandmother had years of intestinal issues following her hysterectomy because of adhesions. Of course, that is likely/hopefully not your issue but I would check in with dr. to be safe.
Ugh! That's scary! Do you know if adhesions can create this kind of trouble within 6 weeks?
Unread 11-25-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterNC View Post
Sounds like it may just be a virus. I'd just call the doctor's office and ask my question. Nurses usually take the calls. They have heard it all. There are a lot more embarrassing questions than diarrhea. Believe me I've asked them. I hope feel better soon. They'll probably say this is not related to your surgery.
Thanks for the reply. I do hope it's just a passing virus. I will probably wait another week before calling it in. But you're are right--I'm sure they've heard much much worse.
Unread 11-25-2013, 10:22 AM

I don't know how quickly it started but I do know she suffered with it for many years before having more surgery to have it taken care of.

Sorry, didn't mean to scare you but I saw my grandmother's quality of life impacted for several years and wouldn't want that to happen to anyone else.

Sending many wishes that you have a virus! (How often do you get to write that?!?)
Unread 11-25-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRae View Post
Sending many wishes that you have a virus! (How often do you get to write that?!?)
Hahaha! Thank you for the laugh!
Unread 11-25-2013, 11:29 AM

Here's my theory for what caused me to have a few intestinal issues. Around about 2 months i started to have the same as you describe. Initially quite pleased as clearly showed the post-op constipation was a thing of the past but it did then get a bit annoying. And now for the theory - my intestines had had the living daylights squashed out of them by fibroids/cysts etc and they were just getting back into swing of normal life, kind of relaxing but just over-relaxing?? Sounds daft i know, but the intestines as an organ are so sensitive to physical and mental stress that it only stands to reason they will need time to settle and enjoy the space they have now been afforded. Hope you to soon feel better and keep up the fluids.
Unread 11-25-2013, 11:39 AM

Coumarin--that's an interesting and plausible theory. Are you all "regular" now?
Unread 11-25-2013, 11:47 AM

Yes, so much better although i do stick strongly to a high fibre diet, lots of water, probiotics and pelvic floor exercises - the latter i am convinced also help but again, just a theory.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register