self-pampering | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

self-pampering self-pampering

Unread 06-13-2006, 09:55 PM
self-pampering

Started my "self pampering" today - - I've been so busy trying to get everything done and ready before surgery, that I decided I needed some time for ME!

Bought a new nightgown, slippers, granny panties and socks at Wal*Mart today (along with stocking up on dog food, staples, etc.), then after work got my hair cut. Tomorrow, I have an appointment at 4pm for a massage (new Chiro clinic opened up near work and they have a 1/2 price special right now - - 1/2 hour for $15!!!!) Figured that JUST might help with the stress!!

Still got lots to do before my trip to the castle next week, but at least I'm taking a little time for ME!!
I have a list of things to do each and every day leading up to the castle and the above items were and ARE on my list!!

Best of luck and prayers to all of us!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-13-2006, 10:10 PM
self-pampering

You sound just like me! I stocked up on toiletries like I was moving to an island, cooked and stuffed "Lean Cuisine" sized rubbermaid servings of my favorite home cooking so that I'd have ready made lunches while home. I also checked with nurse at pre-op about rules on nail polish and surgery. I know this may vary, but the castle where I had my hyst said I could go for it, new oxygen meters can read through color! Kept fingernails clear but since I knew I'd be staring at my toes for a couple of weeks, I also splurged on the pro version of my usual self pedicure. She did summery hot pink with white daisies on my big toes. Now, even on a tired day, I have food, toilet paper and toes that make me smile. You go, girl!! Oh, btw-I know this also varies, but I wanted you to know that I also had a TVH, have simply sailed through and pray the same ease for you!!
Unread 06-14-2006, 02:49 AM
Same day surgery in the tri-state

Hey Kathy. It's nice to find a fellow tri-stater, and there's a bonus, we share the same surgery date! I too have started cleaning and pampering. I have just moved into a new house and it's actually taken me about 3 weeks to get everything in. It's not that I have a lot of stuff, I just haven't been up to it. I only have a few things left that we're moving this week. Because of this it has made cleaning more horrendous than I thought it would be. I am also planning for a Father's Day Celebration on Sunday, which also happens to be my 30th birthday (weewheew) so I'm trying to make everything extra clean and special. It will also be the first time my parents have seen the new house. My mother is wonderful in every way, but when she comes to my house (maybe twice a year for kids birthday parties), she tends to pick out everything that she would change. I don't want the added stress just days before surgery so I don't want to leave any stones unturned.

I too have stocked up on items for the house and family, also at Wally World. I feel like Sissy Spacek in Blast from the Past. (living underground with everything they need). I know I won't be stuck in the house forever, but I wanted to be prepared. You never know when you'll run out of 24 rolls of toilet paper. I know this probably sounds crazy but I bouught a new and it made me happy. I'm not sure why, but just having something new, and knowing that no one in the house is going to want it or use it makes me feel good.....When I got it together and started running it, everybody wanted to try. They were amazed because it was bagless and the new carpet that was being sucked up made it look like a giant afro puff was lodged in it. I know wierd@!

As for the self pampering. With so much that has been going on this month for me, I haven't been able to do too much. I had to take my polish off and that drives me crazy. When I don't have color on my toes I feel soooooo naked. I did do a little pedi and they look okay, but not so stylish. I guess it'll be an excuse for me to get them done when I feel up to it. The weather hasn't been so good here because of all the rain so I haven't been baring my little piggys in sandals lately anyhow.

I'll be thinking of you when I go in.

Good Luck to all our June 21st sisters!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-14-2006, 03:01 AM
self-pampering

good luck to you ladies in waiting. have yu thought about a leg wax? It can be difficult to get down there for a little while. please do check with the h about nail polish, mine had to be removed with neat acetone and that isn't good.
Unread 06-14-2006, 04:59 AM
self-pampering

Amanda,
We are even closer tri-state sisters than you may realize as I live very near Louisville, only an hour or so from Cincy! Good luck with preparing for your party on Sunday and Happy B-Day to you!!

I keep running through lists in my mind on the stocking up thing, just worried that I'll forget some little something. We live about an hour out of Louisville, and DH hasn't had to "shop" in years, so the Girl Scout in me is just trying to be prepared!! I plan on cooking/freezing some meals over the weekend along with all the last minute cleaning/laundry chores just to make it easier for him to pamper me!!

I'll be thinking about you on the 21st. Hope your trip to the castle is uneventful. Look forward to hearing from you on the other side.
Unread 06-14-2006, 11:14 PM
self-pampering

I'll be seeing you on the other side as well! Wal-Mart must be making a fortune off us hystersisters but honestly I found just what I wanted there, Got a new housecoat pjs undies and compact mirror. It sure made me feel better! Here's to all of us on the 21st! May we all succeed and make it to the road of recovery!
Unread 06-14-2006, 11:23 PM
self-pampering

I had a manicure and a pedicure a few days before my surgery. Does a lot for the girl when you think everybody will be seeing everything! The only thing I was told when I went in for bloodwork was to make sure the polish wasn't too dark. I did a french manicure on my finger nails just to be sure nothing would be missed!

Make sure you get gowns instead of pjs as you will more than likely have a catheter at least for a few hours the first day if not longer. Pjs don't work so well as you will only be wearing the top. Make sure to have slippers for the nasty hospital floors. Yeah they should clean them often but who knows if they do.

Make sure you have something to keep you busy however you will probably sleep most of your time there. I had my husband get me some of the cheesy gossip mags because they made for great reading and they also had crossword puzzles in them.

Good luck to all for coming up surgeries! Let us know when you reach the "other side". It is great to hear from those that are here now and then the stories they have to tell later!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register