Scared!!!! Wound infection!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scared!!!! Wound infection!!! Scared!!!! Wound infection!!!

Unread 03-26-2011, 06:37 PM
Scared!!!! Wound infection!!!

I am a over weight woman that has had 2 infected c-sections. My frist one was bad. The day i came home from the hospital from having my frist born i was sent back to the hospital for a infection. I was reopened and packed 2 times a day and put on IV meds in the hospital for 5 days. After I went home i was sent home with a In home nures that came to my house 3 times a week to pack and unpack my site. As well as I was packed and unpacked 2 times a day(a family friend that is a EMT) came to my house everyday to do this for me let alone the pain that I was in. The secound C-Section was not as bad. 2 weeks after I had my other son i went to the ER and they had me use tape to keep up my stomach. That was rough with all the tape messing up my skin and it hurt as well. Now I am going in on April 7th and I am SCARED. I don't want to go threw any of the the infection again .... What can I do. I sit up at night thinking about it.. I know I have to have this done. But I don't know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2011, 06:50 PM
Re: Scared!!!! Wound infection!!!

Awww! I know that wound infections stink. Knowing your history and susceptibility to them, is your doctor willing to go ahead and give you IV antibiotics prior to, during, or after the procedure, or sending you home on a script?
Unread 03-26-2011, 08:45 PM

talk to your doctor and tell them your concerns. I am prone to staph infections and generally get them in every wound ever since I was a kid whose scrapes always filled with pus instead of just scabbing over and healing. This is at the top of my list for my pre-op discussion. They will test you for MRSA and treat it with antibiotics beforehand to reduce that risk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2011, 09:21 AM

Hi! I had the same experience with my c section... I also had an infection that led to a week in the hospital and 2 weeks of a nurse coming every day for packing, then I learned to do it on my own... not the way you imagine things with a new baby! I'm sorry you had to deal with that! I had the same concerns when I needed a laparoscopy 2 weeks ago... (I will schedule my hyst when I see my Dr on Thursday)... I know diagnostic lap is minor surgery, but I talked to my Dr regarding my concerns of infection and requested antibiotics... he told me that I would be given antibiotics through my iv at surgery and that it was standard procedure to give antibiotics. The only reason they don't give antibiotics during c section is because they don't want the baby to get any, it could cover up a blood condition... so, I had no problems this time and healed quickly... I'm not sure what type of hyst you are having, but I'm sure you will be fine with the antibiotics! Make sure to rest after the surgery, o think I overdid it with the c sect which probably didn't help.... ill pray for quick healing and no sign of infection! Good luck!
Unread 04-03-2011, 10:55 AM

Ditto what others have said--ask for pre-op or post antibiotics. Is this the same doctor you had before? Then he/she might recall that you have had this past experience with infection and want to 'jump on it' right away. Best of luck to you!

Dee

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register