Did anyone try.....a pessary device | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Did anyone try.....a pessary device Did anyone try.....a pessary device

Unread 12-04-2006, 02:34 PM
Did anyone try.....a pessary device

a pessary device before hysterectomy? I have a 4-6 month wait before surgery and don't want to wait like this. For me, this would be a 'stop gap' measure, to hopefully help while I wait. I am prone to yeast infections and have a very sensitive system, so don't want to do this for any length of time. Was it worth it, or are the 'fitting' and other potential side effects/complications just not worth it? I have a moderate uterine prolapse and cystocele and rectocele too.

I understand it will be different for each of us, but am looking for input/experience from those that have btdt.

Thanks,
Kaori
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-04-2006, 04:19 PM

Hi Kaori,
I tried a pessary (or two ...!). I've been fighting a hyster for years and this last year everything has gotten really bad - my doc wanted me to try a pessary to see if that would help me avoid the surgery (she was for the surgery, I was trying so hard to avoid it!). I have a very badly,oddly tipped uterus and have had trouble wearing tampons for years. Well it was the same thing with the pessary - the first one my body literally just cramped right out! After that it was as if my body knew what was coming (or was put in!) and said heck no! Cramp central and a tenfold increase in my pain levels. I have to say that it did help a little with the cystocele/bladder issues - but again the cramping and pain quickly outweighed any real benefits. Having said that, my doc did say that some women can use a pessary for years and completely avoid the surgery route. So I would say it's worth a try! Everyone is different!!
Unread 12-04-2006, 05:46 PM

I wore a pessary for a few years and it was ok. It did help but I got tired of having to remember to put it in every morning and usually I would no sooner get it in and I would have to have a BM and it would feel like it ws falling out so I would take it out. I was ok with it sometimes and I do think it was worth using it for the time I did but I could not see myself using it at 60! I had to go through several test procedures and fittings before i actually got the one that would work best for me - I never knew there were so many different kinds and sizes of pessarys! I think if you will only need it for a few months it may not be worth the trouble and it also costs around $50 or atleast mine did. It is up to you. Hope this helped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-04-2006, 06:57 PM

Hi Kaori

You may wanna check out some of the info & message boards in the Prolapse section of our Resources Directory: https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/lin...=browse&cid=27

I hope you are feeling better soon. I am sending huge cyberhugs
Unread 12-04-2006, 10:36 PM

Aussiegirl and ryrytyty, thanks for sharing your experience with me. I am hesitant to use a pessary, as I know it is not a one device works for this problem solution. It is a matter of trial and error...do I want to bother??? I have to wait until Jan. 8 to see my Gyne to even start that ball rolling, so I have lots of time to decide. I am hesitant to add to the problems right now, but don't want to wait for 6 months in this state either. Perhaps I can grease some wheels and get in faster. I did inquire about their cancellation policy, so when I go in perhaps a little more discussion will be in order. I would go tomorrow if I could. That would be nice too, less time to stress about going in!

Twysmilng- thanks for the link. I had thought about posting there, but reconsidered because I am not looking to avoid a hysterectomy, just a measure of comfort while I wait. (potentially 6 mos.) I hadn't thought about the fact that those ladies will likely have some pretty darn good pessary experience. I will check it out.

Kaori
Unread 12-05-2006, 08:51 PM

Kaori, I used a pessary after the hysterectomy and first prolapse surgery while waiting for a date for the second repair after the first had failed. I had previously had a bad experience with a pessary many years before when I needed to use it for a short time in the early months of my pregnancy. It nearly fell out every time I had a BM and was very uncomfortable. Needless to say I was hesitant to try it again when my Gyn suggested it as a means of keeping me comfortable until the second surgery. He assured me it was because the previous Dr had not fit me with the right pessary so I decided to give it a try. I have nothing but good things to say about the experience. We did have to try several different sizes before we found the right fit. A pessary will help more with a cystocele than a rectocele and though I was not symptom free it helped greatly. My pessary was able to be kept in 24 hours a day for 3 months. Then I was to have the Gyn remove it, examine me for any tissue breakdown, clean it and reinsert it. Because I am spastic about smells and was afraid the pessary would smell from being left in so long, my Gyn agreed to remove it monthly and clean it. I used the pessary for 5 months before surgery.
I highly recommend trying it. It is a non invasive device that is inexpensive and can help to keep you comfortable until you are able to have surgery. I would be happy to answer any other questions you might have about it. Good luck!
Michelle
Unread 12-06-2006, 05:31 AM

Candyapplelady, I do not mean to ge toff the subject but I was reading your reply to Kaori and I was interested in your other experiences. I too have had a TAH and a rectocele repair. I did notknow that so much could go wrong afterwoards and have to repair everything more than once. That completely freaks me out! I seem to be recovering pretty good but still am very conscious of what I feel down there since I had a severe prolapse before surgery - dont get me wrong it feels great but it seems that just lately since I have been doing mroe and mroe and even lifting soem things that maybe I should not be because I forget - I think I feel that things have changed - it is hard to explain - it is not a prolapse but it does seem that I feel something down that like maybe a fullness in the opening of my vagina - I have also had two yeast infections so it could be that - I have just gotten over a bad cough (I get several times in thewonter) and every time I cough I swear I am going to cough something out - maybe I am just so used to the way it was before that it is still in my mind - my husband tells me I am just imagining things that it was repaired and everyhting is ok but after listening to you it sounds like it absolutly possible for things to have come undone. Could you explain a bit more to me if you get a chance?
Thanks
Unread 12-06-2006, 05:42 AM

Hi K

I had a pessary for about two mos before surgery
I really really did not want to use it but I was worried my
uterus was going to fall out. I mean my dr told me it
could come out significantly. Also I was worried about
pulling more of the internal walls and other stuff
like bladder or intestines along with it, if it did continue
to drop.
I took it out to bm and every morning washed it and
put it back in. It was actually not as bad as I worried it would be.
My advice is that it could prevent further damage so
I would give it a go. Also my dr fitted me one time and
I was good to go
Hope this helps

Hugs
Harley

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register