Not Scheduled Hysterectomy and panniculectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy and panniculectomy Hysterectomy and panniculectomy

Unread 07-23-2013, 01:34 AM
Hysterectomy and panniculectomy

Hi there... I am new to this site.

I found my way here via a Google search on Hysterectomy and panniculectomy. I am 45 years. I am 5'6", weigh 470lbs and I have never been able to have children.

I recently had an irregular Pap which showed endometrial cells in my cervix. That was on June 25th. Over the course of the past 3 weeks, I have had a biopsy, a transvaginal ultrasound, a D&C, and a mammogram. Fortunately the biopsy was benign and there were no signs of tumors. However, my doctor feels that it would be best if I proceed with a hysterectomy and panniculectomy due to my high risk of developing endometrial cancer. (Never been pregnant, early onset mensus, more than 50lbs overweight, thickened endometrial layer, and family history of cancer). She also feels that the pannicectomy would be highly beneficial for me as I carry the majority of my weight in my abdomen and have already experienced major problems with my back because of this.

I am very nervous about the procedure and what I can expect afterwards, especially after having the D&C. It has taken me 3 days to start feeling normal again and I know this was a minor surgery compared to the surgery that my doctor is proposing.

Can anyone tell me about their experience with these procedures and some advice on how to prepare for the surgery? This will also be my first experience staying in a hospital. I really don't know what to expect.

Thank you for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-23-2013, 07:46 PM
Re: Hysterectomy and panniculectomy

Hi rlfetting to HysterSisters!

As you have indicated, this is much different than a D&C. Having a hysterectomy is MAJOR SURGERY. I have read the only thing more major is open heart surgery. While everyone is different, after surgery you will probably be very exhausted for several weeks. Pain levels vary, but are normally controllable.

You will need to take time off work - the amount of time depends on your job and how quickly you heal. I had a TAH BSO, and took three weeks off of a moderate stress desk job. I then could only do part time for another four weeks and that was TOUGH, TOUGH, TOUGH! You will also need to have help around the house for a few weeks with cooking, cleaning, dishes, laundry, shopping, driving, etc.

My hospital stay was 3 1/2 days. The doctors and nurses took good care me. I would not have been able to go home any sooner. Most of everything was provided, and I wore the same clothes to and from the hospital. Make sure they are loose fitting, and comfy. You will need several loose fitting clothes for your recovery time. I spent 12 weeks in sweats and old shorts.

I know this is overwhelming experience. We are here for you and understand what you are going through.

To prepare
I had a TAH BSO.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register