TAH Did you get enough pain meds? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Did you get enough pain meds? Did you get enough pain meds?

Unread 12-21-2010, 01:11 PM
Re: Did you get enough pain meds?

I came home with 40 pills. I had been taking in the hospital 3 every 3 hours. Came home, switched to two pills every 3 hours, and then within two days, just one pill. I was running out by last Thursday (I had just a few left), I called and got a refill of 20. Just KNOWING I had them, made it easier to not take them. I think I was anticipating being in excruciating pain in the middle of the night on a weekend. Didn't happen, but you cannot heal well when you are in pain. Good luck to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-21-2010, 03:23 PM

Yes the assistant girl told me if I was still having pain 7 days after my surgery I should probably make an appointment, really? I think I'm healing pretty well, I mean I have never had surgery before but, I don't thin it's strange to still be in pain, especially at night, after one week?
I did not hear back from them and I did not call..guess I will deal.
Unread 12-25-2010, 09:02 AM

The whole pain issue is such a complicated and sensitive topic. Bottom line is that we patients should not be suffering, and if dr's aren't providing us with relief then they are not honoring their oaths and doing us no harm. But it is political. And that sucks because it just hurts the patient.

I came home with 30 vicodan ES and probably 30 motrin 600. The label says to take every 4 to 6 hours, but My nurses explained to me that if I take 2 vicodan, then I will need to wait 6 hours before I dose again. If I take 1 vicodan and 1 motrin, then I can have another dose in 4 hours. I am being meticulous in my records of what I am taking when. It's kind of funny, I had already been thru some other painful (non gyn) surgeries and never had the dosage explained to me quite like that. My opinion, less narcotic is so much better, but gotta stay up on top of the pain or healing will not happen.

Funny enough, whenever the hospital staff would inquire of my pain level, I was always like "10!" then they would respond, but you are not unconscious. And me, well any pain is unacceptable! So perhaps I am a little unrealistic, but I don't think so. There is just such an individualized component to the whole pain topic. What causes me to feel pain of "9" might only cause you a "6". So I think it is impossible to generalize and make a blanket statement one-size-fits-all approach.

Wishing you all the very best, happiest of healing, and I sincerely hope that all of you on this thread are well past the point of high pain levels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-25-2010, 10:11 AM

my dr didn't because they had to change it from every 6 hrs to every 4 hrs. She didn't want to refil it either.
Unread 12-25-2010, 10:18 AM

I hate it. Week 3 coming up and now I have an outbreak of Herpes around my nose. Low inmune fromsurgery. Sun in Palm Springs.Mostly low pain now ecxept I get back pain ny end of day. Stomach swollen Hope its not all fat. Just feel like an alien around the people I love.
Unread 12-25-2010, 01:25 PM

I too am fed up with feeling like a criminal because I'm trying to get adequate pain relief! I thought I had everything covered and worked out for after surgery pain care and everything fell apart.

I have fibromyalgia also so take oxy and have a high med tolerance. The surgeon Rxd a correct pain med plan for the hospital but the pharmacy/nurses refused to follow it because it was 'too much'. After one night in horrific pain, the surgeon checked on me and found out what happened. After that, no more pain problems at the hospital.

BUT the Rx my fibro dr gave me for after surgery home care was incorrect and it took 3 days and a lot of problems to get it fixed. And while trying to fix it, everyone treats you like a total loser that just wants drugs to get high.

Thankfully my hubby took time off to help me with all of this as I could never have fixed it.

I hope you all are feeling better and being healthy!
Unread 12-25-2010, 05:08 PM

I was sent home with 40 acetaminophen (generic Tylenol) with codeine to be taken 1 every 4-6 hours. The first couple of days I had to take them and then I was OK without them until I stretched when I yawned. I had to take them that day and now I need to take one before I go to bed because I can't get comfortable and trying to causes pain.

I still have enough and then some until I see the surgeon again.
Unread 12-25-2010, 10:48 PM

I was kind of in the same boat, My pain was at a level 8 for the 1st 2weeks at home. i went through more pain meds then ever. My Dr. initially gave me a refill on the first . I had to call for another and lucky for me they gave me it. I thought I had went through too many but the nurse informed it was okay. I think I went through 80 vicodene in about 2 1/2 weeks. By week 3 though i was still using quite a bit because I had the constricting sutures going into the skin , but after I got them out I was using less and less. Overall it concerned me about how many pain pills I was taking because I very rarely take advil or anything for a head ache. But the best thing you can do is like someone said stay ahead of the pain. Because pain is pain and if you need to Goto the ER .
Unread 12-26-2010, 04:20 AM

they tried to give me panadol 24hrs post hyster, which i thought was a joke!!! I was on endone and tramadol the first few days and tried to avoid anything with codine due to bowel issues.
Unread 12-26-2010, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillianfueg View Post
I hate it. Week 3 coming up and now I have an outbreak of Herpes around my nose. Low inmune fromsurgery. Sun in Palm Springs.Mostly low pain now ecxept I get back pain ny end of day. Stomach swollen Hope its not all fat. Just feel like an alien around the people I love.
Ouch! I am very prone to herpes outbreaks around my nose and mouth whenever I'm under stress. But after years of suffering, I've found that taking L-Lysine helps. I don't know if you've tried it, but it really works. I started taking one twice a day after surgery for a few weeks and I didn't have an outbreak.
It can also help lessen the severity of an outbreak if you start taking at the first sign of a cold sore starting.
I hope you feel better soon.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register