how do you know if your over doing it? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

how do you know if your over doing it? how do you know if your over doing it?

Unread 04-29-2010, 06:46 AM
how do you know if your over doing it?

This is a silly question but, just HOW do you know if you are over doing it? Are there any signs, aside from pain, that your are? After pushing myself a little too much yesterday, just with the walking( I drove to the store. I had someone load my bags in the car for me and had help when I came home unloading) and moving NO heavy lifting, I felt pressure around my vagina and immediatly layed down for the rest of the night. It scared me, the feeling kind of like I was falling out I felt around down there and it kind of felt swollen around my labia, mostley to one side. I am not sure if I was like that after surgery or not.
Has anyone else gone through that or something similar to that after surgery?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2010, 07:02 AM
Re: how do you know if your over doing it?

I have had signs such as increased bleeding, pain, more than usual fatigue, and just in general feeling worse that I had been feeling. Maybe walking around at the store and the whole outing was a little much for you this early post op. I would rest today and really take it easy before it spirals and you have other problmes like bleeding. Feel better.
Unread 04-29-2010, 07:42 AM

Did you push a cart? Yesterday I stopped at the store for a few veggies to feed our guinea pigs but the small carts were stuck together and the regular carts are more than I want to attempt so I only got what I could hand carry. It was just freezing cold in the grocery store.
I haven't over done it yet this time but 30 years ago after my 1st C-section I felt good one day about 2 weeks post baby and vacuumed the small house and was exhausted for a week. Lesson learned.
So far I have done OK planning carefully for every outing by walking in the morning when I am least tired, then resting horizontally for 30-60 minutes. We've gone out to dinner a few times and we pick places close to the house that we know have fast service. An hour is about my limit before I have to head home. I lie down for a bit before and after.
Yesterday I went to band practice with my son and played my flute for 45 minutes which was tiring but fun. We have to be there at 7:00am which left me a bit sleep deprived. Later I walked 3 miles then rested went to the bank drive through, stopped at the office (where I can rest), went to order new lenses at the eye doctor's, got the veggies next door at the grocery then went home to rest. I was tired but feel good today so I don't think it was too much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2010, 08:20 AM

I noticed a couple of times after upping my activity (sweeping the porch; a trip to the store and out to eat) that my belly swelling went crazy and suddenly my nice, loose waist-band felt like it was digging in, plus I had some bright red spotting. Dr's office said no big deal as long as I didn't have a rush of bleeding and soak a pad, but to definitely dial back my activity level. I also felt whooped afterwards and the next day. It's kind of a catch-22, because you won't know you've overdone it until you increase your activity level, and of course, part of recovery is to slowly increase back to your normal activities.

If you're feeling pulling or other uncomfortable sensations, my guess is that your body is objecting a little to your increased activity and telling you to rest and try again in a day or so. Frustrating, but I think you're experiencing the one-step-forward-two-steps-back that we all go through. Don't hesitate to call your doc if resting a little bit doesn't help, though!
Unread 04-29-2010, 08:47 AM

Well, I do think my trip to the store ANd pushing an almost full cart did it. Not to mention a nice slow walk around the pond in the pm. I did call the drs office nd spoke with the woman who is in charge of surgery scheduling and questions, and she asked if I had felt the same way this morning as I did yesterday. I told her I did not, just a little more pain in the belly area. She said to see how today went and if I felt the same to come in the am and doc would see me. She also told me to take it easier, lay down and heal. I think I was feeling so much better that I pushed myself too much. I was going back to work this sat, as a hairdresser, and I called and took off this morning. cant see being on my feet for 6 hours doing hair. I want to heal the right way and not hurt anything that will harm me in the long run.
I think the worst thing about the surgery for me has been not able to resume what I am used to. I am active, ride/train horses, do barn work, keep up the house take care of my preschoolers..... I am not very good at laying around. WAAAAAA
Unread 04-29-2010, 09:07 AM

I am 9 days post-op. LSH. I really haven't done a whole lot yet......today i folded a few loads of laundry...but had my daughter carry the baskets for me... Simple wiping down counters around the kitchen.....walking around the house and outside...that type of thing. I haven't been to the grocery store yet - and hearing you all say that you have been out to dinner and to the store...makes me feel like I am probably 'nursing' this thing a bit too much!!!!

The thing that I am finding is that the longer I am 'up'....walking or doing whatever (including talking???)....the more pain I get in my abdomon. I am soooo afraid of ruining anything in me that the dr's did during surgery....I think I am taking it more easy that I should because I have such a fear of bleeding / tearing.

I am also sleeping terrible at night....really strange dreams....and not being able to sleep in the position that i prefer...hard to roll around - that probably doesn't help how I feel during the day.....although I must add that i feel less and less tired each day and more more and more like me!

How do I move past that anxiety......how do I force myself to do more and not fear it? I had posted earlier that I wish there was this perfect instruction manual that says what to do on what day!!! wishful thinking!!! I need, at some point, to try and do more....and I really feel anxious about it....
Unread 04-29-2010, 09:17 AM

Chuckling because one of my first long walks was out to our pond and back--it felt great to be outside, but I was sure tired afterwards. This morning I am feeling really good and went out to the barnyard and gave the horses some flakes of hay. Then I noticed the flies were bothering them and gave them all a spray down. None of that involved lifting anything heavy, bending or walking very far, but did a lot for my mental health. And I came in afterward and layed down for a while.

I know what you mean about the forced inactivity. One thing that's helped me feel like I'm not totally worthless around the house is learning that you can break down tasks into little doable bits--I can't carry the big bag of birdseed out to the feeder right now, but I can carry little cups of seed and make 2-3 trips. I can't pick up the watering can for our plants but I can carry water in a smaller container a little at a time or turn the hose on. I can't pick up a full laundry basket, but I can carry a few pieces of clothing and make trips back and forth from the laundry room.

Do what you can and don't sweat the rest. Hang in there!
Unread 04-29-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyladybugs View Post
I am 9 days post-op. LSH.... I haven't been to the grocery store yet - and hearing you all say that you have been out to dinner and to the store...makes me feel like I am probably 'nursing' this thing a bit too much!!!!
Lovemyladybugs, I said I went to the store; I never said it was a smart idea! In fact, it was about four days post-op and was one of the dumbest things I've ever done, and I paid for it the next couple of days by being swollen and tired and could hardly get out of bed. Don't make my mistake.
Unread 04-29-2010, 09:41 AM

Are you girls crazy??! I'm not taking any chances. Having had 2 c-sections through the same garage door plus a few other procedures, I have gone on complete strike and am refusing point blank to do anything even vaguely strenuous until I feel completely up to it. My only goal is to be ready, exactly 8 weeks after surgery, for my best friend's 50th birthday party. We're gonna need disco moves, canape plate and drink balancing skills, and sufficiently reduced swelling to wear something groovy.

Please don't overdo it - any of you. Because you're worth it. x
Unread 04-29-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailBlazer1 View Post
I know what you mean about the forced inactivity. One thing that's helped me feel like I'm not totally worthless around the house is learning that you can break down tasks into little doable bits--I can't carry the big bag of birdseed out to the feeder right now, but I can carry little cups of seed and make 2-3 trips. I can't pick up the watering can for our plants but I can carry water in a smaller container a little at a time or turn the hose on. I can't pick up a full laundry basket, but I can carry a few pieces of clothing and make trips back and forth from the laundry room.
I agree with this. I'm doing small amounts of laundry by carrying no hampers or baskets. I let my husband and son carry. I only carry small armfuls and try not to do any strenuous bending or pulling.
I've watered my plants by filling a 2-cup measuring cup and taking that around the house. LOL. At least I feel like I'm helping.
I feed the fish and the cat. -big whoop.
I wipe the counters a bit and the table. Load a few dishes, but leave the big job to my husband.

I did do a grocery store run last night, but took my oldest with me to push the cart and carry the bags.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register