Pre Op? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 12-02-2001, 03:03 PM
Pre Op?

I am scheduled for Surgery on Tuesday. I have been reading about the preop procedures and drs appointments and have held off on asking anything about this until now because I felt kinda "stupid" for even mentioning it...but...
The only Pre-op I have is an appointment tomorrow to see a film on the surgery and they will send me down to the lab to get blood tests. I saw the Doctor about 5 weeks ago when we made the decision (15 minute follow up to laparoscopy) and have not seen or talked to him since (although I did call once and ask questions to his nurse practitioner....). He will not even be in the office when I go tomorrow to see the film.
Have had no instructions on diet this weekend (nothing by mouth after midnight Monday night....), nothing on bowel prep. ...nothing. From what I have read, there are usually several more tests and other things done to prepare a few days before surgery. Anyone think I should be concerned about this, or is it just mainly a matter of procedure?????
Having TAH-BSO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-02-2001, 03:18 PM
Pre Op?

Hi there,

First off please don't every feel stupid about asking anything here!! We all learn by asking, and there is nothing that you could ask that any of us would feel was stupid at all!! We are all here to help each other.

You should find out all that info tomorrow at your pre-op. In addition to the film, there should be someone there tomorrow who will give you the diet info and bowel prep info if you require doing that.
I didnt' see my doctor at my pre op either. It was mostly nursing staff and an anesthesiologist there that day.

If they don't give you that info, then by all means ask them about it. Thats usually all part of the pre op appointment though.

And if you are still not sure on anything at all then call your doctors office directly.

All the best to you with your surgery!!
Hugs
Maria
Unread 12-02-2001, 03:39 PM
Pre Op?

Hi there !!!

I didn't even have a pre-op appointment! Actually, made the decision to have the hyst and scheduled the date all in the same visit. I called the office a couple of times with questions, but did not see my Dr. again till the day of surgery. No bowel prep, not even a movie !!!!

Did all my preop lab work the morning of surgery. It was real convinient.

Best of luck to you !! Please ask if you have questions...that is what we are here for !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-02-2001, 04:12 PM
Pre Op?

It does seem a little....relaxed. But you can still obtain the needed info by asking good questions of whomever is there to give you your bloodwork, instructions and film.

I'd suggest that you maybe print out our list of pre-op questions, add ANYTHING and EVERYTHING else that occurs to you, and bring it with you to the pre-op appt. I'm sure you will have the opportunity to ask your questions at some point.

If you don't, or if you aren't satisfied with the answers you get, then absolutely positively call the doctor's office and INSIST that either the doctor or the nurse practitioner get on the phone with you and answer your questions fully. Better still, schedule an appt just to talk to one of them, but if that's not possible, do it over the phone. But DO IT!!!

This is a huge surgery and a huge event in our lives, and you have every right to be fully informed to your own satisfaction. You are paying them for their services, so be a good consumer and insist on this...it's your right.

Keep reading and please post every question you want...the only dumb question is the un-asked question!!

s to you!!

Karen
Unread 12-03-2001, 08:10 AM
It's not unusual

Howdy!

I didn't really get much info either until my pre-op. I did print out the list of pre-op questions and took them with me. I did not see the doc that day. (a Monday) I had my pre-op at the hospital where I was having my hyst at. I saw the admitting lady first. She got all my insurance info. Next I went down the hall to get blood drawn. They took 3 tubes of it! After that I went upstairs to the department where the surgery took place. That's when I got asked all kinds of questions by the nurse and asked questions too. I had my surgery 2 days later. I hope this helps calm your nerves a little bit.

Good luck!

Rachel
Unread 12-03-2001, 09:04 AM
Don't ever feel stupid

Dear Miselfni~
Don't worry about asking any kind of questions here. I will tell you what I did. I felt so overwhelmed with all of my questions I was worring needlessly. I decided to call my doctor and he was happy to answer all of my questions I had a new sense of strength and felt much better and he told me that if I get to bogged down with questions again to just call. I feel much better now. Just remember that Our questions may seem stupid to us but the doctors and nurses get asked these questions everyday and afterall it is there job. I don't mean to sound so pushie but after all you are paying them to help you through this.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Unread 12-03-2001, 09:43 AM
Pre Op?

Hi Miselfni,
The pre-op tests vary depending on age and health history. The blood work the doctor did previously may have been to determine if you were aenemic and needed iron prior to surgery.

While my doctor was helpful in answering questions, I really got more info from the pre-op folks at the hospital.

Do see that either your doctor or pre-op answer all of your ??? It will help put your mind at ease. Jan (also Missouri).
Unread 12-03-2001, 10:06 AM
Pre Op

I also had a pre op visit at the hospital two days before surgery! I met with a pre op nurse and had blood and urine testing! I did also have a pre op visit with the doctor the week before and the morning of surgery! His wife is his nurse and they are fantastic! What I can't ask or forget to ask him I can ask her! What a team! I did not have any instructions other than no food after midnight! I asked about preop prepping and was told I could shave my self or they would! I did it myself! My surgery went smoothly as did the hospital stay! I was surprised at how easy it was! Being home has been a different story because I have to determine what is important enough to call the doctor about! That is where this web site has been so great! I can read what has happened to everyone else and ask if I need to! I am having a lot of nausea and when I am up a lot burning and pain in the lower abdomen! My surgery was the 16th of November and I have an appt. w/Doctor this Wedesday and hope to be released to return to work Thursday or Monday! Hope all goes well with you and remember to keep a pillow or afghan handy to hold against your stomach when you move or cough and I PRAY YOU NEVER SNEEZE until you are fully recovered! WOW what a pain! LOL!
Unread 12-03-2001, 04:22 PM
Pre Op?

Just to show you how weird it all works...my doctor sent me to the hospital for pre-op processing right after my pre-op appointment with her, which was 15 days before the surgery on 12/11.

The people at the hospital were absolutely amazed I was coming in so early (but pleased, too, that it wasn't last minute!), but I had my blood work, chest x-ray, and EKG over and done with in no time!

So don't worry if the tests haven't been done yet. The man processing me in at the hospital said they have to be at work at 4 AM each morning because so many have the tests done the very day of the surgery!
Unread 12-03-2001, 04:33 PM
surgery tomorrow 4 Dec

Well, counting down. I'M SO READY......I started today - oh joy! Will this be my last? Let's hope so. Anyone else start on the day before surgery? Nurse said it wasn't a problem.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register