LAVH This pain is HORRIBLE | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

This pain is HORRIBLE This pain is HORRIBLE

Unread 11-30-2013, 10:54 AM
This pain is HORRIBLE

I am 3 days post laprascopic/vaginal hysterectomy...left ovaries in tact. I have had 2 c-sections in the past and this surgery in no way even remotely compares as "easier than a csections"! My abdomen had such horrible gas and constipation...I'm working through those...however I can hardly breathe without doubling over...my bladder has such intent pain as it evacuates that it takes my breath away. This pain is somewhat constant, even hurts when one of my kids wiggles to bed to lie down with me. I was prescribed 10mg Lortab...barely takes edge off and makes me stay awake! And the fog it creates and constipation, that's another story!

Has anyone else had this kind of pain? And another thing...it was determined when I was about to leave hospital that my WBC was 20,000...severe infection...pneumonia! Which had also been seen on my pre-op bloodwork and xray! Help with advice, please!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-30-2013, 11:50 AM
Re: This pain is HORRIBLE

5 days post op in severe pain like nothing before also!
Unread 11-30-2013, 12:10 PM

I was the same way! I am 10 days out today from LAVH. I have taken my pain meds around the clock and used lots of ice packs! Everyday gets a little bit better. I still have some pain and discomfort and am moving slowly, but I feel I feel a little better. Follow doctor's orders and rest! It does get better!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-30-2013, 12:14 PM

I can't say I was relatively pain free without meds for about four weeks.

Hang on in there.
Unread 11-30-2013, 01:01 PM

I would call your doc to let them know. They may need to change meds for you. If you are in this much pain, it will affect your recovery. I am assuming they gave you meds for the infection. Like I said, touch base with your doc. Sending hugs and support
Unread 11-30-2013, 01:12 PM

Thank you all so much. I did touch base with dr last night...I told him I would have 10 c-sections by choice before I would have done this had I known...he said, gosh, that's not what I've heard...so, I guess male drs really aren't foremost authorities on female pain...I was up all night from following his advice on the laxatives and stool softeners! However, I do feel better with my bowels empty...now I vow to not eat much solid food for a couple of days. I am also finally able to cough well with relative pain, that I need to do for this pneumonia...

Y'all are kind and I thank you. Did y'all's drs say it was an easy relatively pain free recovery? Just curious?
Unread 11-30-2013, 01:36 PM

No way! Doctor told me it would be a cinch and was patronising beyond words (male) my surgeon and nurses (female) told me to take all the pain relief and not be a martyr.

Either way, your pain, your recovery. It doesn't belong to anyone else. What you feel is what you feel.
Unread 11-30-2013, 04:45 PM

My male surgeon, female gynecologist, and female NP all said I would be nearly normal at 3 weeks. They underestimated by about a month! I'm so happy I found this site or I would have been worried to death.

One thing about pain meds, don't wait until you are in excruciating pain to take them. Take them as directed before the pain is unbearable. Getting pain under control is much more difficult that just managing it.

I hope you feel better quick.

Unread 11-30-2013, 04:50 PM

Thank you Elsie! Yes, I am guessing since men don't have these surgeries at all, most women, dr's probably foremost,
don't have them...how would they know? I am taking pain meds every 6 hours and taking softeners each time too!

I'm glad I found this site too! I just wish I had searched it out beforehand! Haha! Spilled milk now! Gotta try to laugh!
Unread 11-30-2013, 06:36 PM

I have had 3 other abdominal laparoscopic surgeries before this one, so I was pretty prepared for the bloated-gas-abdominal. I. My experience, all that gas in my middle (where there shouldn't be any "air") was the first worst pain. When I got my tubal ligation 20 years ago, I was in bed for 5 days rolling around as the gas bubbles would gurgle to the highest place, whatever position I was in, pushing everything else out of the way to get there.

The good news is that all that gas will gradually reabsorb and it is getting better minute by minute and hour by hour.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register