Seeking info - blood count, anemia, chest pressure concerns - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Seeking info - blood count, anemia, chest pressure concerns Seeking info - blood count, anemia, chest pressure concerns

Unread 05-03-2009, 04:47 PM
Re: Seeking info - blood count, anemia, chest pressure concerns

Juliane, best of all on your surgery on 5th May. I pray all goes well and you come out more blessed and healthier than you have ever been. Do please let us all know how it went. Mine is on May 28.

Thanks Michelle, I wish you the best too. I can't wait for this ordeal to be over. It's taken control of my body and life. I'm sooooo bloated today I can barely walk. Hugs to you all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-12-2009, 06:35 AM

Julianne, you were to have a TAH on 5th May. I'm wondering how you are doing now? How did it all go? I pray all is well with you!
Unread 05-12-2009, 07:58 AM

Hello all......

This is so weird, I thought that I was excersing to much. I was having shortness of breath and went in to see my PCP and she sent me to a cardiologist. He sent me for a breathing treatment, EKG, an echo and I wore a heart monitor for a day. When I went to get my results I was told that I have a leaky valve around my heart and I was given an inhaler. But I got my labs from my pre-op testing and found that my HGB was 10.6 (normal 12.0-16.0), my HCT was 33.6 (normal (37.0-47.0) and RDW 18.2 (normal 11.7-14.8).

So that makes worried now, does all of this tie in together and why hasn't any one said anything to me. What does it all mean? I feel a doctor's call coming on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-12-2009, 08:29 AM

Hi Classylady,

do not worry too much. Worry won't solve the issues. Well...I too have a leaky heart valve...mine is Mitral Valve Regurgitation. Mine is very very mild and nothing is done about mild cases. I don't take medication for it and nor does it cause me shortness of breath. Did you ask the Cardiologist WHICH valve is leaking and how bad is it. Do ask.

As for your pre-op blood test, all the slightly low numbers you have just mean that you are somewhat ANEMIC. I would recommend you ask your Cardiologist for a clearance to do the surgery. Just a precaution. You should also return to your PCP to make sure the cause of your anemia is low iron (it probably is). Ask him/her to do a ferritin (iron) test and a iron serum to find out. This probably is because you may have low iron in your body from heavy periods. Do you have heavy periods? You might if you do have fibroids. Fibroids cause heavy periods which in turn causes Anemia. They go hand in hand. ALMOST every woman who has fibroids has anemia. Symptoms of anemia are weakness, shortness of breath, feeling tired easy, easily cold, heart palpitations, and craving strange things to eat like ice (called PICA). Do some research on the internet about Anemia.
Now...why didn't they scream bloody murder after your pre-op test shows a lower than normal hemoglobin/hematocrit and slightly high RDW? It's because your levels are not life threatening. Doctors especially emergency rooms do nothing if they don't think it's gonna kill you. Crazy huh? Hemoglobin below 8 requires blood transfusion. But you wouldn't believe it that my PCP (whom I sometimes call Dr. Stupid) once saw my hemoglobin at 8 and said nothing. I was so sick. Luckily I survived and started iron supplements. I'm at a level of 11.5 now and I'm scheduled for a hyst in 2 weeks. Drs can be blind at times which is why we must keep our eyes open on our lab results and how we feel. Anyway, I hope you will talk to whomever is doing your hyst and ask him/her if he is comfortable with your current hemoglobin levels. I heard most surgeons are not comfortable with anything below 11 because it prevents need of a transfusion. Ask all the questions you want. They are obligated to answer. You may start eating more spinach and red meat if you can to supplement iron now while you wait to see your PCP. If your surgery is postponed because your HGB is slightly low, don't be sad. It's good and it's for your safety. The only thing I'm unhappy about is your PCP didn't do a HBG test on you long ago. You probably have been anemic for a long while now and that put stress on your heart. I do my HGB test annually. The great news is it takes years before mild anemia begins to affect the heart. I would suggest you exercise moderately for now since your iron storage is low. You don't wanna over drive a car that's low on fuel. I do short walks for now and will resume regular exercise after my hyst.

Don't worry, it brings bad karma. Be well.
Unread 05-12-2009, 09:22 AM

Aida09

Wow, you are very insightful. Yes I had heavy periods (I said had because I had my last period already) and yes I have Fibroids, I have 10 fibroids and an enlarged uterus (14cm in size)...I have recently started having shortness of breath and that is why I went to the cardiologist, and after all the test were back the PCP put me on an inhaler but since everything "was normal" that was all they did was gave me the inhaler and the leak she said was mild. I am so tired most of the time and it don't help that I work overnights (just started 6 months ago) and makes sleeping much more difficult. Feeling cold, all the time right now I am under a comforter and "my special blankie" and it is 72 degrees here in Chicago. And yes I have a strong urge for ice and it is so weird because I never wanted it in my drinks and now I need a couple like every hour or my mouth feels drive and water (which is again weird) don't help. I was trying to lie down but I can't fall asleep so now I will look up Anemia, I need to figure out what type of iron to take.

I called the doctor's office and spoke with the nurse (she told me to hold on to God) and stated that she would get my lab results and call me back but because I work in the hospital I already have the results and tried to tell her that and I just wanted to know what they mean. I would be devasted for a delay so I have to follow-up on this myself.

I asked the nurse this morning to read my results and you are right she was like oh that is ok it is not that low for you to worry about it. But if it wasn't something to worry about then why call it low. They set limitations for a reason, you would think.

Because I have to do a bowel prep thi night before I started eating more chicken and leaving red meat alone because they say it is harder to digest, this is so complicated. And as far as exercise, I got a "doctor's note so that I didn't have to finish my gym class (for school) so exercise has stopped completely.

But thanks for your insight.....We are having surgery the same day mines is at 7:30, I have to be there at 5:30 a.m.

Good luck
Unread 05-12-2009, 09:55 AM

CLassylady, I'm slightly envious of you that you've had your last period, lol. I have one more of the horror show to deal with next week. Gross....it's horrible suffering. Alsmost makes me hate being a woman but then I love all the make up, fashion, doing hair and just being a woman. It's a small price to pay.

I am glad you are having your hyst the same day as mine. I'll have you in my prayers while I am praying madly ( I stress that madly) for myself, LOL. At least I'll have a little unselfish thing to do.

Looks like your shortness of breath probably is from the anemia. So you are a ice eater too? I ate ice like mad all day and was blown away when I read that it's caled Pica and comes from the anemia. I forgot to add that anemia also causes chest tightness which is what took me to the cardiologist. I did a stress test and holter monitor like you and my heart was said to be great. So it was all the anemia.

I feel you about the red meat. When I found I am anemic, I started eating spinach and meat like crazy. Then I developed spinach/meat phobia. Now my freezer is full of spinach I don't want to see. Grin.

Medicine is confusing with all the data of what's low and what's high. They put people in categories knowing well that there's no one size fits all pant. I try to keep an open mind when it comes to my body and not always accept everything my Doc says. He's only human.

BTW..I wonder why are you having a hyst? I am because I have 7 fibroids and a uterus the size of a 6 month pregnancy. I am having horrible pressure issues with my uterus pushing my intestines up and aside. Can't eat or drink well. Can't sleep comfortably. Constant gas in my stomach and chest all day. Look forward to relief. Please come tell us how your hyst went when it's over. I look forward to sharing experiences.

I better get off this PC or I'll never get anything done.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register