question for the athletes out there | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

question for the athletes out there question for the athletes out there

Unread 07-09-2009, 09:13 AM
question for the athletes out there

Hi Sisters, The lack of activity at 3 weeks post-op is driving me crazy! Once you were cleared for normal activity, how long did it take you to get your strength back? I know I can't throw myself back into my usual workouts at the gym. So any tips of how to get started again once it is OK to exercise? I am now walking 30-45 minutes twice a day and using some 2 pound hand weights while sitting, but my doctor won't allow anything else, not even swimming. Thanks in advance for the feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-09-2009, 09:35 AM
Re: question for the athletes out there

I am on the five week mark, walking and doing arm exercises with 5 pound weights. When I had my tubal I was back to wearing a weight vest and working out (all with very light weights) in about three months. I would not recommend this since this surgery is more involved and I read that tearing can take place with no sign and adhesions can form internally to create issues later.

I am also itching to work out, swim, something but will wait this time for the extreme stuff until about six months out. I hope to swim soon and will keep up the arm workouts (careful not to use core too much) and hope not to lose too much muscle mass.

Yet I also found after my tubal that the muscles came back fast and it seemed I got more firm and fit than before. Maybe it was a vengeance I was working out twice as much, scared I lost it all or maybe my body was ready to build back the muscles and then some. Because of that experience, I am not so worried this time I was so worried last time and felt like my body was turning to mush as I recovered.

BTW i was born in S.F. and lived in the bay area all my life. I moved around allot and lived in South SJ for a while by Santa Teresa and Snell (I think it has been awhile forgot the streets!)
Unread 07-09-2009, 09:42 AM

Oh I also wanted to add that I am doing Tai Chi and easy yoga poses for now working into harder ones. I bet yoga is okay and easy on the body. In the past I have found it does build muscles if done right, in our case, slow and holding poses rather than fast. When I started doing yoga I noticed more definition in my shoulders and upper arms.
In the west we are obsessed with pumping iron yet yoga and Tai Chi are just as good (possibly better) a workout if done every day. I am one to pump iron and feel I am not working out unless I am breathing hard and sweating but am starting to appreciate easier forms of exercise as an alternative and believing it will do my body just as good as sweating and pumping iron. It is certainly better for our joints and inner energy.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-09-2009, 10:14 AM

It has been 5 months since my TAH and I am an athlete also. I started out slow "atleast I thought". I started having clear fluid leaking and pain in my stomach I woke up at 4am and had to go to the ER come to find out I had broke my stitches open where my cuff was and got infected. I was doing to much too soon. I just want to let you know to take it easy please do rush. Keepin in shape is not as important as your health
Unread 07-09-2009, 10:21 AM

How did you start back with your workouts? I'm thinking swimming would be a good place to start; or maybe one of the "lite aerobic" classes at the gym.
Unread 07-09-2009, 10:45 AM

I wasn't allowed to swim until my GYN released me at 8 weeks. Pool water may LOOK clean..., he said. (Same limitations after my foot/ankle tendon surgery in May. Orthopedist said stay out of the pool until the 4th week when we could be assured all incisions were healed on the outside. Pool water is NOT clean, he said.) GYN also limited weights to 5 lbs until the 8th week, as well. I worked out with bands and a fitness ball instead of free weights. But I had resumed fitness walking 6-8 miles by 6 weeks. Though I was walking leisurely from the beginning, it was around the 4th week that I began to increase speed and distance until I was back at preop levels. All was done with my GYN's blessing, though. You will get back to normal, but as pointed out in earlier posts, it's not worth injuring yourself and causing even more delays.
Unread 07-09-2009, 11:19 AM

Swimming is not a good thing. The water is not tha clean. Aerobic is a little to much. Walking is great to start with, even though you feel like you can do more your body is not ready "on the inside" My doctor told me that it takes 3 months for your body to heal completely. I know its hard not to be active but its for your best.
Unread 07-09-2009, 12:22 PM

I am athletic and yoga is amazing and doesn't hurt you. I would recommend it! I tried some "light aerobics" at week 4 and ended up with bleeding. I made myself sick after what I thought was a "light swim". I drink a lot of water and watch my calorie intake. 5 small meals a day.
Unread 07-09-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napyhed View Post
Oh I also wanted to add that I am doing Tai Chi and easy yoga poses for now working into harder ones. I bet yoga is okay and easy on the body. In the past I have found it does build muscles if done right, in our case, slow and holding poses rather than fast. When I started doing yoga I noticed more definition in my shoulders and upper arms.
Napyhed,

I think your right, I bet yoga would be okay. What type of yoga poses are you doing? I would love to start easing back into my practice again but am scared I might tear something.

I also practice pilates and can't wait to get back to that. You can't believe how it strengthens your core!

Blossom
Unread 07-09-2009, 12:51 PM

It's been 7 weeks since my LAVH/BSO and I feel great! My Dr. gave me the "go-ahead" to "increase my activity level" at my 6-week checkup. Up to that point, I had just been doing a lot of walking. Now, I'm back at the gym, using the elypitcal, the stationery bike, treadmill, rowing machine and hand weights up to 8 lbs. I will admit, however, I did a number of ab crunches 4 days ago and my abdomen was really, really sore for the next 3 days (feels much better today). I think I'd better not do much of that for a while -- don't want to tear anything.

But I will say that I think those of us who are physically capable of getting some exercise are extremely blessed! I feel so much stronger -- even though my stamina isn't what it was before my surgery. I guess it will take a while to build that up again.

I guess the best advice is what others have posted here: take it slowly and listen to your body. Don't overdo it. You'll get there! Wishing you speedy healing!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register