TLH post op 1 wk/ how long does the pain last? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

post op 1 wk/ how long does the pain last? post op 1 wk/ how long does the pain last?

Unread 02-20-2013, 03:14 PM
post op 1 wk/ how long does the pain last?

I had my TLH Feb 12.. I am recovering well, I think, but still have alot of pain up inside. How long does this pain last? I am taking it very easy for my recovery but just wondered how long I'll be like this. I've gotten through the dreaded first BM and hot flashes are very mild but I'm really achy up inside and can only stand to be standing about fifteen minutes before it bothers me too much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2013, 03:45 PM
Re: post op 1 wk/ how long does the pain last?

My doctor had me buy milk of magnesia to help with BM, it also decreased pressure with helped with pain. You will start to notice that every day feels a little bit better. And, as your incisions heal more and more you will feel more comfortable standing, walking etc. Hang it there, it gets better.
Unread 02-20-2013, 10:03 PM

I had a TAH and I'm one week out. I have done remarkably well I think, at least with the pain (I've had other issues the aren't the topic here) and haven't really needed pain meds since a couple of days ago. But tonight I feel very tender and sore. I'm wondering if anyone else can describe their pain one week post op. thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2013, 10:54 PM

I took pain med. Vicodin first week. Then stopped to help constipation. The 2nd was mostly severe gas cramps and bowel pain for me psyllium and prunes have really helped today is day 16. I have occasional pain or twinges. Now get heaviness if on feet too long or fatigue. Each week is different for me.
Unread 02-20-2013, 11:47 PM

I am 4 weeks as of today, it does get a little better. I did well my first week, and the second and third was my worst. This week hasn't been to bad, I drink a lot of water the first few weeks also that helped. When I felt a lot of gas that wouldn't pass I drank sprite which helps me burp. Lots of rest, and walking around as much as you can will help. Take care of the . Everyone does heal differently. Listen to your body.
Unread 02-21-2013, 08:20 PM

Thanks ladies for the encouragement. I'm 9 days post op and someone said to me that I shouldn't be hurting inside still so I wasn't sure if this is normal. I walk a bit and sit or lay on the couch mostly because I just don't feel I can do anything else. I'm taking stool softeners because I've only had one BM since my surgery. I've always had problems with constipation tho. I just wake up everyday counting another day gone and waiting for this achiness inside to go away. Hope your all doing well tonight.
Unread 02-21-2013, 08:30 PM

What do you mean you're hurting inside? Where is your pain located?

I had a TLH and never had any pain inside my abdomen and certainly not inside my vagina as nothing inside there was touched. I certainly felt gassy and was uncomfortable when I was constipated.

We all heal differently but, since you asked, by the end of the first week I was able to drive, grocery shop, do laundry and cook meals. I stopped taking narcotics after the third day and have managed since then with Advil.

I hope that you are soon feeling much better.
Unread 02-21-2013, 08:42 PM

Mine was two days after yours and I still have a lot of internal pain too saw my surgeon today and they seemed to be surprised I was having pain. But I have a bladder infection and am also constipated so I wonder if that is making my pain worse? Hope you feel better soon!
Unread 02-21-2013, 09:00 PM

Lots of people have pain for weeks - general achiness, pangs, twinges, etc. you DID just have major surgery and your insides are still mad about it . What you should be concerned about is acute pain - a particular spot that is constantly hurting even with meds whether or not it's accompanied by bleeding. This could mean you've really done too much. Listen to your body and if it just doesn't feel right, call your doctor. And you'll see on here that you're certainly not alone!
Unread 02-21-2013, 09:38 PM

When I say pain, its not acute, stabbing horrible pain, its more the aching like I feel like I just gave birth up inside. Like everything is still so tender that I am scared to have a BM . I haven't talked with my Dr yet but she did show pics and a chart to my husband and daughter ( who is an RN) after surgery. She said I had fibroids and adhesions. She ended up removing everything but my ovaries. My pain is where she sutured where the cervix was is what it feels like. A little crampy at times but mostly I'm achy and feel like I can't sit up straight in a chair very long without it becoming painful or just too uncomfortable. I keep having pain on my right side and worry its my appendix .

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register