Bleeding post-menopause: I need some guidance please | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bleeding post-menopause: I need some guidance please Bleeding post-menopause: I need some guidance please

Unread 09-15-2009, 09:50 AM
Bleeding post-menopause: I need some guidance please

Hi Ladies - I was curious to find out what path I should take next. I'm 53, had extreme endometriosis, was never able to have children and finished with menopause at 47. Mid-July I began to have cramps and spotting. I went to my Gyn, had an abdominal and transvaginal ultrasound. results came back with a thicknened uterine lining (8.2mm). My Gyn doesn't have surgical priviledges so I went to one that does and she did a D&C / Hysteroscopy. I had a golfball size polyp removed. After I saw the photos of my atrophic uterous I started on estogen cream. I felt fine, almost normal for 2 weeks then spotting and a distended painful right-side to center abdominal region began. Other weirdness is a very tender vagina, I'm urinating but it feels strange and I'm having to sit down very gently. A hot water bottle helps my belly as does laying down. My original Gyn told me my ovaries were clear per the radiology reports so the possibility of a problem there hasn't been addressed. I have an appointment with him Thursday and I would like some guildance as to what to do. He has been my Gyn for 25 years and takes my complaining very seriously because I seldom do it. I'm thinking CA125 and a CT scan or MRI. We are lucky to have good insurance and the ability to pay for what they won't cover. I had a coloscopy one week before my surgery and it was fine. I find all of you very inspiring and your shared wisdom a valuable resource. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-15-2009, 11:50 AM
Re: I need some guidance please

Dear Lemon

I think you should request an appointment with a gyn oncologist. If you are concerned that this may be cancer either endometrial or ovarian, it is the best thing you could do.

Sending you a big hug!

Lyn
Unread 09-15-2009, 12:39 PM

I had a D&C & it did nothing for me at all. It would be best to talk to your doctor & see what would be best for you. Especially since you sound like you are done using those parts. Best wishes to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-15-2009, 05:11 PM

I was surprised to find that, 7 years after menopause, my ovaries were still doing something for me as I now have "mini" hot flashes after my hysterectomy. I thought I was all done with my female parts, too. But I certainly agree with the suggestion that you see a gyn onc for your peace of mind and to get another opinion from someone better qualified to address any possible cancer issues.
Unread 09-15-2009, 10:11 PM

I also think you should see a gynecological oncologist. Ask your long-time gynecologist to refer you to one, either one you choose or one he recommends. Your symptoms could be many things, but if there is any suspicion of gynecological cancer, have a gynecological oncologist do the surgery in case cancer is found. I do think a CT scan is in order.
Unread 09-16-2009, 09:24 AM

Lemondog -

Did they biopsy the polyp? What were the results of the biopsy? You may want to make sure you get a copy of the D&C and hysteroscopy report.

I would discuss your concerns and issues with your doctor and see what his recommendations are for the next course of action.

Once you've discussed all of this with the doctor you can determine next courses of action. My cancer was found due to my D&C and hysteroscopy. I had a CT scan as an initial diagnosis to see if looked like it had spread, that was all ordered by my initial dr. Once I went to the gyn / onc he did a lung x-ray. I am unaware that they ran a CA125 on my blood but maybe they did. All of this happened after I discussed my initial results with my doctor

This is all my experience so I hope it helps. It is good you are discussing all this with your doctor.

G.
Unread 09-16-2009, 10:35 AM

Thanks to all of you for sharing your experiences. My polyp was the size of a golf ball and benign. I have lovely high res photos of it which may become next year's Christmas card! I will be gathering copies of all my reports and will find a good Gyn/Oncologist in my area. It's Northern Virginia - any recommendations? I can't tell you how much it helps to hear from you.
Thanks again,
Becky
Unread 09-16-2009, 11:28 AM

Gyn/oncs are usually not found in phone books. If you are starting from scratch, you can get names of gyn/oncs in your area by checking the web sites of major hospitals for their staff listings and checking the web site for the Society of Gynecologic Oncologists, www.sgo.org. (On the main page, click "Resources for Women," then "Find a Gynecologic Oncologist," then type in zip codes.) Not all gyn/oncs are members of the Society, but the list is a start. Then check your state medical board to get credentials and any records of disciplinary actions.

Ask your gynecologist for recommendations as well and ask him if he knows the ones that you may come across in your search. It sounds as if he has been in the area for a long time and should know something about many gyn/oncs in the area. Often a patient has to be referred to a gyn/onc by another doctor.

Also, check with women you know who have seen gyn/oncs.
Unread 08-17-2014, 10:29 PM
Re: Bleeding post-menopause: I need some guidance please

My GYNO also recommended a GYNO oncologist for a very large fibroid ( make that 2 after surgery - post-menopose). I am 2 week pre- op and weaning myself off my drugs, still have a bloated stomach and pain in mt thighs and lower back. When will this end? One of the fibroids could not be seen after 2 MRIs and an ultra sound. Neither could they see where they were attachec outside the uterus. Am grateful that I gad an open radical hysterectomy so a full biopsy could be done.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register