Worried about depression! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Worried about depression! Worried about depression!

Unread 01-19-2002, 10:47 PM
Worried about depression!

I'm new here... and have a TAH et al scheduled in six weeks. ...
I still have a lot of questions/ concerns/fears...
Mostly, I've heard that the loss of hormones (yes, they are taking my ovaries out, too), can cause a big depression. I already take meds (celexa) for depression -- will it be much worse?
I know that you guys are not doctors, but has anyone been through this who already struggled with depression?

Thanks
Janet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-20-2002, 08:02 AM

Hi!

Though I have not had this experience, I have seen other women asking about this. You may want to ask this question on The Hormone Jungle forum. The women there are usually post-op and are dealing with HRT related concerns. Someone there should be able to share their experiences with you. Hopefully, someone will also pop in here, and be able to help with your question!
Unread 01-20-2002, 12:49 PM

Hi, Janet,

I have suffered from chronic clinical depression since adolescence, and have taken antidepressants for many years (trazodone, and I've occasionally needed to take prozac, also.) I had a TVH/BSO seven months ago, and have been on HRT since the day of my surgery.

I have noticed no difference in my emotions since the surgery. I have been emotionally stable, and and haven't needed to change my antidepressant regime at all. I never experienced depression after my surgery. Other women may have different experiences, of course.

I feel MUCH better physically, though. For me, the hysterectomy improved my lifestyle, since I suffered from extremely heavy, nonstop vaginal bleeding for months, before the surgery.

This is only one woman's experience, but I hope it helps to reassure you a bit.

Best wishes,
princessh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2002, 11:06 AM
You sound just like me!

I've been worried about the exact same thing--I'm even taking the same drug as you (Celexa at 60 mg/day). I haven't yet set a date. I'm still in the struggling-deciding process. I don't know what to do. My husband is really pressuring me to "just get it done with". Easy for him to say! Nobody's messing with his parts! I've read a lot of books about the bad effects the surgery leaves. Depression being only one of them. Lack of sexual desire is reported quite frequently. And my husband likes to be a frequent flyer. But the thing is...right now I feel so crummy half the time I don't feel like sex anyhow. So...what is going to be the difference? Plus...I've been worried about weight gain. Anyone have any experience with this? Was it harder to keep weight off? Seems like everyone I know that has had the Big H has struggles with weight. Good luck with your surgery! Hope things turn out great for you!
Unread 02-06-2002, 09:02 AM
Deppression & Anxiety

My fear too. I have been on Paxil for about 7 years. I have fibroids and ovarian cysts. Already had one myomectomy and one one tubal pregnancy. The surgery I can handle its the changes in
anxiety or panic attacks that are scaring me. I also have very bad Pms even with the Paxil. The point is pain free and pms free.
Should I be worried or will a hysterectomy help me???
I am only having about 6-7 symptom free days a month.
I would like to hear from Post-Ops experience.
Thanks
Kim Y.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register