Travelling, Vaginal cuff, etc. full of questions - getting nervous about upcoming hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Travelling, Vaginal cuff, etc. full of questions - getting nervous about upcoming hysterectomy Travelling, Vaginal cuff, etc. full of questions - getting nervous about upcoming hysterectomy

Unread 06-26-2014, 08:16 AM
Travelling, Vaginal cuff, etc. full of questions - getting nervous about upcoming hysterectomy

My doctor has done "over 400" of the robotic hysterectomies. I don't have anything to compare that to - so my question is: Is that considered a lot of surgeries? I believe she has been doing them since 2006.

Also I was wondering about traveling a week afterward. My surgery is on a Thursday and the following Wednesday I am to leave on a vacation. This vacation will consist of sitting and doing absolutely nothing at my friend's house at a lake. It is a 7 hour drive - obviously I will not be doing the driving - and I have said that I want to stop for 10 minutes every hour of the drive so I can walk around (I am afraid of blood clots). As long as I am feeling up to it, do you see any reason why I shouldn't go on this trip?
One more question.......I am nervous about the vaginal cuff (I am having my uterus, tubes & cervix removed). I am so worried that eventually when I can have intercourse again that it will rip through. I am afraid that will be all I can think about. Will it be clear to my doctor when it is time to be able to have intercourse again? Ripping through the vaginal cuff is a very scary thought for me.

I had an ablation several years back. I have fairly good size fibroids (5 cm), I have had many, many abnormal cells over the years. I now have pain and am bloated and pelvic area always feels "heavy." However, no cancer is suspected at this point in time; the latest biopsy came back fine. I am 5'7" and 170 pounds. I am not in bad shape physically so I am hoping that will help me in recovery. I have been walking every morning at 6 a.m. to 7 a.m. trying to build up even more strength before the surgery. My surgery is July 10th.

I have asked my kids (all three in their 20s) to come to the hospital while I have the surgery (I was told it will be 3 ˝ hours long) but they don’t see the big deal and so they don’t plan to come. My sister will be there however to drive me home.
My question is: Is it a “big deal” and am I wrong in wanting them there? From what I can tell, what I am having done is considered major surgery(?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-26-2014, 08:21 AM
Re: Travelling, Vaginal cuff, etc. full of questions - getting nervous

I can't answer the rest of your post but I do have some info about the cuff because I asked my doctor the same thing yesterday!

I asked because my husband sometimes hits the bottom of my cervix during sex. Doctor said as long as I let the sutures heal completely before trying it out, it should be fine. He also recommended avoiding certain positions for the first few months once I'm cleared for activities again just to make sure.

Hope that helps!
Unread 06-26-2014, 08:31 AM
Re: Travelling, Vaginal cuff, etc. full of questions - getting nervous

I would say over 400 surgeries is a very good number.

As for the kids: this IS a major surgery, no matter how the uterus is removed. I understand you wanting them there and I really hope they change their minds about being at the hospital for you.

Although some women at this site have had cuff problems, that isn't the norm. You just hear more complication stories because they need help/advice/information, etc. The women who aren't having issues don't tend to have anything to report. I don't yet know if I'll have a cuff, but if I do, I have those same worries so it's normal to be concerned. Just know that most women have no issues afterwards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-26-2014, 01:51 PM
Re: Travelling, Vaginal cuff, etc. full of questions - getting nervous about upcoming hysterectomy

I am concerned about a 7 hour car ride so soon after your surgery. We are all different, so it is a possibility. I have seen some women here who would be able to manage that, and some that could not have. I know I could never have done it. I spent most of my first week in bed sleeping. At 3 weeks I was still very sore and uncomfortable sitting for more than half an hour. And the jostling in the car and the annoyance of keeping the seatbelt off my tummy would have been too much. I hope you are up to it though, sitting at a lake sounds lovely.

Yes, this surgery is a Big Deal. A big huge deal, in fact. It is major surgery and recovery isn't easy. It's a misconception in our society that it's an easy, routine surgery and not major. I think because it's done so commonly? I had no idea that initial recovery was a full 6-8 weeks until I went through it myself.

We all have concerns about tearing the vaginal cuff. There are some scary stories out there. As long as you follow your restrictions Post Op Restrictions , wait until doctor's clearance before returning to work or resuming sex you should be fine. Make sure your DH knows to be slow and gentle for the first month or so as it can take a while to get back "into the groove".
Unread 06-26-2014, 02:59 PM
Re: Travelling, Vaginal cuff, etc. full of questions - getting nervous about upcoming hysterectomy

Yeah can you lay down on that drive ? I rode in town at 2 wks and was really hurting when I got home.

Follow orders with your cuff and use lube, go slowly. Avoid silly sex, until a few weeks later. Lol. Some ladies find having partial intercourse eases their minds. Go at your own pace, what your comfy with.

I'm 4 months out, nearly 5 now and we just cuddle up and go easy, no race to win. You be in control and just talk to your hubby. We kept the romance active even before being released with nice dinners, movie time and alot of conversation. It's kinda fun you feel like newlyweds all over again.

My kids all got a call when surg was over and came up a short time. Then they brought grands over after I got home. I didn't want them to be scared or worry cause they are little. My dil brought me a meal, as did my gran and dad. That was hugely helpful. Have them get you a pizza or something instead of having to wait at hospital, just a thought. Or help w housework.
Unread 06-26-2014, 03:02 PM

Yes, this surgery is a big deal and major surgery. A total hysterectomy, no matter how it is performed, should never be taken lightly. I truly don't understand your kids.

Your car ride is very ambitious. No one can say until you are on the other side and you see for yourself but I would say the best you could tell anyone is "maybe". I had a TAH with extra procedures (adhesion removal and separation of bladder and uterus) but there would have not been a world where I could have gotten in a car to drive 7 hours one week post op.

They should check your cuff before the green light for intercourse, mine was all healed and I haven't had any problems.
Unread 06-26-2014, 04:28 PM

Yep, the car ride is what would worry me the most. I remember how painful it was to be 10 minutes in the car during the first 2 weeks of recovery. Take good care with pillows and pain pills!
Unread 06-26-2014, 04:35 PM

One more thing re: car ride. Don't forget to let someone else open and close the car door for you every time you get in and out. It is easy to forget and do yourself and will do a number on your abs and you'll feel the pain later.
Unread 06-26-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucilleRae View Post
My doctor has done "over 400" of the robotic hysterectomies. I don't have anything to compare that to - so my question is: Is that considered a lot of surgeries? I believe she has been doing them since 2006.

Also I was wondering about traveling a week afterward. My surgery is on a Thursday and the following Wednesday I am to leave on a vacation. This vacation will consist of sitting and doing absolutely nothing at my friend's house at a lake. It is a 7 hour drive - obviously I will not be doing the driving - and I have said that I want to stop for 10 minutes every hour of the drive so I can walk around (I am afraid of blood clots). As long as I am feeling up to it, do you see any reason why I shouldn't go on this trip?
One more question.......I am nervous about the vaginal cuff (I am having my uterus, tubes & cervix removed). I am so worried that eventually when I can have intercourse again that it will rip through. I am afraid that will be all I can think about. Will it be clear to my doctor when it is time to be able to have intercourse again? Ripping through the vaginal cuff is a very scary thought for me.

I had an ablation several years back. I have fairly good size fibroids (5 cm), I have had many, many abnormal cells over the years. I now have pain and am bloated and pelvic area always feels "heavy." However, no cancer is suspected at this point in time; the latest biopsy came back fine. I am 5'7" and 170 pounds. I am not in bad shape physically so I am hoping that will help me in recovery. I have been walking every morning at 6 a.m. to 7 a.m. trying to build up even more strength before the surgery. My surgery is July 10th.

I have asked my kids (all three in their 20s) to come to the hospital while I have the surgery (I was told it will be 3 ˝ hours long) but they don’t see the big deal and so they don’t plan to come. My sister will be there however to drive me home.
My question is: Is it a “big deal” and am I wrong in wanting them there? From what I can tell, what I am having done is considered major surgery(?)
I had my daughter(33) come after I woke up and in my room.No point being there when I was in surgery and recovery. My husband was there from the beginning.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register