Define Overdoing It-2WK LSH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Define Overdoing It-2WK LSH Define Overdoing It-2WK LSH

Unread 10-19-2009, 07:46 PM
Define Overdoing It-2WK LSH

Help me understand how far is a normal walking distance and other daily activities. I have read numerous posts but I'm still not so clear on what would be considered pushing it at the 2 week mark. I started to get pinkish spotting after being in a car outing[passenger] on post op day 11.
I have stopped my 'walks and rested more hoping the pink would stop. It didn't. I don't want to live in fear of injury but I need to have some guidelines.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-19-2009, 07:55 PM
Re: Define Overdoing It-2WK LSH

Have you asked your dr. about the spotting? Mine told me it was completely normal and I had it off and on up until the 6 week post-op check. I'm not sure it's the best barometer of if/when you've done too much. I do think that starting to bleed again (more than light spotting) can be a sign of trouble, but the spotting seems to be a normal event. I think that walking short distances is a good thing. You wouldn't want to be huffing and puffing or feel like you could barely make it back to bed, but I'd think that walking short distance throughout the day would be fine. If in doubt though, call your dr.
Unread 10-19-2009, 08:19 PM

how much is short. I have been walking down the street and back. Somes times twice a day and very recently not at all once the pink started.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-19-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortellini View Post
how much is short. I have been walking down the street and back. Somes times twice a day and very recently not at all once the pink started.
Assuming your street isn't a mile long, I think you're fine . Honestly, I think it depends. If walking down the street would've been a challenge for you prior to surgery, then you shouldn't do it now. If it would've been a breeze, then taking a slow walk down your street is probably fine. Maybe cut the walk in 1/2 and do it 2x a day for awhile.
Unread 10-19-2009, 08:53 PM

Thanks, I just like walking and getting out of the house and breathingfresh air. The walk isn't hard. I was doing 3mi normally prior to surgery.
Unread 10-19-2009, 09:15 PM

Tortellini -

Check out the Hysterectomy Checkpoints that might help you understand more about what might be pushing it over the upcoming weeks.

G.
Unread 10-19-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortellini View Post
Help me understand how far is a normal walking distance and other daily activities. I have read numerous posts but I'm still not so clear on what would be considered pushing it at the 2 week mark. I started to get pinkish spotting after being in a car outing[passenger] on post op day 11.
I have stopped my 'walks and rested more hoping the pink would stop. It didn't. I don't want to live in fear of injury but I need to have some guidelines.
Thanks
That's why this site offers "checkpoints." Sign up for them in your profile or do a search. They are wonderful. A good rule of thumb is if you think you're doing too much, you probably are.

Take care,

Unread 10-20-2009, 06:38 AM

I had an LSH/BSO on 9/17. I was running about 3 miles a day prior to my surgery. At 2 weeks post op I was averaging maybe 3/4 of a mile to maybe a mile. My doctor told me to ease back into things especially the running. She told me to absolutely listen to my body that it would let me know if I was overdoing it. I'm about 4 1/2 weeks post op now and on Saturday no one was home to help me carry the groceries in and my body absolutely let me know that some of those bags were to heavy for me to carry. As far as the spotting I would call the doctor about that. I know that everyone is different, but to have spotting 2 weeks post op with an LSH doesn't sound right to me. It's my understanding that with an LSH there are no internal stitches so I would question where the spotting is coming from.
Unread 10-20-2009, 10:45 AM

As long as you are just walking slow & on even ground that should be fine. I walked about 10 minutes out of every hour. You just don't want to do anything that bends or twists your body. No lifting anything up to a gallon of milk for 6 weeks where my guidelines. I didn't do any housework during that time either. Hang in there & take care of yourself.
Unread 10-20-2009, 11:19 AM

Hi Tortellini,

I had a LSH (ended up without cervix) a day before your surgery. I also walked a lot prior to surgery in addition to working out and doing every other day cardio workouts. Being still has been a difficult part of recovery for me. I had a post op check yesterday and my Dr. recommended daily walks but still no lifting over 20 lbs. or activities that required me holding my breath or straining. No cardio, jogging, or weight lifting - only arm toning with light weights for now. He said the daily walks that total a mile or more are OK. I used to walk a very hilly route but my Dr. recommended I stick to a flat route instead. I can try for more distance as long as my body allows. I too have experienced some spotting after riding in the car and after walking longer - my Dr told it's normal but to use the spotting as a guide of doing too much too fast. He has me on these restrictions for the next 4 weeks.

Everyone is different so be sure to listen to your own Dr. and your own body for what you need to do and not do. Your body will let you know when you've done too much. Mine seems to!

Good luck with your recovery!
Lisa

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register