Scheduled TAH Upcoming hysterectomy: Hasimotos Thyroiditis/Insulin Resistant | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy: Hasimotos Thyroiditis/Insulin Resistant Upcoming hysterectomy: Hasimotos Thyroiditis/Insulin Resistant

Unread 11-22-2014, 06:57 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy: Hasimotos Thyroiditis/Insulin Resistant

I have a scheduled hysterectomy. Wondering how I'll be effected by hashimotos and insulin resistance. Currently on Armour Thyroid and Metformin. What if any recovery advice can you offer to help with weight and hormonal concerns.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-23-2014, 04:35 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy: Hasimotos Thyroiditis/Insulin Resistant

IDK but I also have hashimotos and take Armour. I will take my Armour the morning of surgery and if I have to stay the night, take it with me.
Unread 11-23-2014, 05:51 PM

Make sure whoever looks after your thyroid and insulin resistance is aware that you are having a hysterectomy. Ask them how to best manage the inevitable hormonal fluctuations that you experience post op.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-23-2014, 07:07 PM

Be sure to take the medication with you as they will ask to see it. They would not let me take mine, instead they got it from their pharmacy . I didn't pay for it as I live in Canada.

For insulin resistance,they will monitor it. We found that withour mom, her sugar was ok after surgery. It went low a day later and it was monitored.
Unread 11-24-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinl11 View Post
Be sure to take the medication with you as they will ask to see it. They would not let me take mine, instead they got it from their pharmacy . I didn't pay for it as I live in Canada...
That happened to me, too! I'd been told to bring my meds to the hospital with me. The morning after surgery, a nurse came in to take my vitals and I asked her to get my meds out of my backpack for me. She said, "No, you can't have those." Then she left.

I was getting all set to go ballistic on the next nurse who entered the room! But I'm glad I didn't, because the next nurse had my meds in a little paper cup and a cup of water for me to take them with. She explained that I'd been asked to bring my meds in case they needed to see the labels, but that they'd supply the pills from their pharmacy.

I was in a francophone hospital and realized later on that the first nurse may not have felt comfortable trying to explain what was going on in English, so she followed procedure: she went and got another nurse who did.

Re: thyroid, I have subclinical hypothyroidism and take Synthroid for it. My GP referred me for a TSH test six weeks after surgery to see if my dosage needed to be changed, and it didn't. Surgery didn't seem to affect my thyroid at all.
Unread 11-24-2014, 11:51 AM

I would take my Armour. I highly doubt hospitals are going to have that. When I was in for my last surgery they tried to give to generic Synthroid. NO thanks, it is poison to me. No way is anyone telling me what and what not to take. I also take tons of supplements and will bring those with me as well.
Unread 11-25-2014, 01:15 AM

i would check with the doctor and/or the hospital when you go for pre-op. They told me not to take my synthroid that morning because the anesthesiologist using your TSH levels as part of assessment for how much anesthesia to use. If you take it that morning it could cause fluctuations making it more difficult. I did not get mine until the next morning. It doesn't hurt to miss one day - I have gone 3 days without it when I forgot it on a camping trip. I started on thyroid in 1985 using both synthroid and nature-throid and am back on synthroid. When I can afford it I will go back on natural.
Unread 11-25-2014, 06:16 AM

Good idea. I have had many surgeries and noone has ever told me not to take my thyroid med but thanks, I will ask!

Btw.....my Armour is cheaper than Synthroid.
Unread 11-25-2014, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlotteel View Post
i would check with the doctor and/or the hospital when you go for pre-op. They told me not to take my synthroid that morning because the anesthesiologist using your TSH levels as part of assessment for how much anesthesia to use. If you take it that morning it could cause fluctuations making it more difficult...
Definitely check with *your* doctor and *your* hospital because I was told to take all my usual meds - including Synthroid - the morning of my surgery. In this as in many other things, every doctor and every hospital seems to be different!

Also make sure the doc knows about any supplements and vitamins you're taking, as you may need to stop some of these before surgery or avoid taking them the day-of. I had to stop glucosamine two weeks in advance, for example.
Unread 11-25-2014, 11:54 PM

I had to stop all the supplements 3 days before. I agree, seems there is no rhyme or reason to the doctors and hospitals.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register