Procedure Questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Procedure Questions Procedure Questions

Unread 03-05-2012, 09:46 AM
Procedure Questions

I have adenomyosis. Scheduled for a vaginal hysterectomy, which means they remove the cervix (i did not realize this, but one member pointed it out to me, TY!).

I have a call into my dr., but in the meantime, it is beneficial to keep your cervix in tact? If so, how does it help you?

If not, why is that so?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2012, 10:57 AM
Re: Procedure Questions

There is a lot of thoughts on this subject...
Some say keep at all cost and others say it is not that big of a deal
I assume you are keeping your ovaries... i kept mine with Adenomyosis...
I was thinking that I would keep my cervix but when cyst were found all through it The doc and I decided that it would be better out.
I do not regret my choice.
I read about some women having "mini" periods with their cervix. Something I did not want.
I have had no issues with dryness and sex has been good...
So far I am not missing it at all...
In this type of surgery there is no one right way to do it. Just what is right for the person at the time with the knowledge at hand.
I know it is a hard choice to make...
Just read as much as you can on it and make the best choice for you..
Unread 03-05-2012, 11:21 AM

thank u Luv for the reply. after I posted i saw there was a lot of debate on this subject.

I have since talked to my dr and he told me there is disensus (sp?) in my cervix which means that there is a risk of a prolapse in the future, so it is best for me to have it removed.

I also learned of the mini-period, too, that you get when keeping it. I'll pass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2012, 11:52 AM

I'll be losing my cervix. My dr said with adenomyosis (my diagnosis too) that there is no way of knowing for sure where the adenomyosis actually is. The cervix is not a separate organ, it is simply the lower part of the uterus. Keeping it may mean that I still have part of the adenomyosis. My main reason for getting a hysterectomy is to stop my heavy bleeding, so in my case it didn't make since to spend thousands on a surgery only to still have periods. Some women keep their cervix and have no spotting. Some keep it and have super light mini periods. Other unlucky women go on to have heavy periods and need another surgery to remove the cervix.

The cervix is supposed to give your organs more support than they'd otherwise have. My doctor is going to use my own ligaments to tack up my bladder and vagina to prevent prolapse. That might be something you'd like to discuss with your doctor.

An added bonus for me would be no more papsmears. I have Lichen Sclerosus, which makes using the speculum to get a pap absolutely torturous. With no cervix, I'll only need to have my vagina swabbed every other year to check for cancer...no speculum required. Not getting paps wouldn't be much of a benefit to most women, but with Lichen Sclerosus it is seriously a painful experience.
Unread 03-05-2012, 12:42 PM

abagayle,
sorry to hear about your other issue. my dr. did talk about attaching everything in there. I like my dr. but he uses a lot of medical jargon and I don't remember what he is attaching to what..

My main reason for the hysterectomy is pain.

I hope we both get through this pain & blood free!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register