Endo & ovarian cysts: Upset and confused | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Endo & ovarian cysts: Upset and confused Endo & ovarian cysts: Upset and confused

Unread 10-29-2014, 02:15 AM
Endo & ovarian cysts: Upset and confused

I have been on the pre-op board as i have my hysterectomy booked for November.
After asking to see my consultant last night about some concerns i have i am left so upset and confused.
He wants to do the LASH procedure - which i discovered is banned in the US. He thinks this is a safe option for me and explained why.
He then went on to say that his main concern is trauma to my bladder which is solidly adhered to my uterus.
After 70 mins chatting he said i could wait till my early 40's to have a total hysterectomy. (i was keeping an ovary this time) The longer i leave it the better if i can put up with the pain and heavy periods.

After weeks of waiting and trying to get insurance sorted out i am so distraught by all this.
I have a long history of endometriosis and ovarian cysts.
He has now suggeseted an MRI scan to check for adenomyosis and referred me to a urinary analysis clinic.

The build up to this op has so far been ultra stressful for me- and now i'm left with the a huge decision as to wether to go ahead with it or not?
I am exhausted with it all!
Sorry for babbling on but felt i needed to vent my frustrations- and this seems a good place to do it!

Any advice/experiences similar?
Lilyella x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-29-2014, 03:39 PM
Re: Don't know where to turn next. Upset and confused

Let me see if I can help a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyella9 View Post
He wants to do the LASH procedure - which i discovered is banned in the US. He thinks this is a safe option for me and explained why.
First, the LSH is not banned in the US, nor is morcellation in general. What is happening is the FDA is considering whether the possible risks of morcellation are higher than its benefits. At the core of the debate is uterine leiomyosarcomas (ULMS)--a type of cancer. Fibroids may turn out to be undiagnosed ULMS, and if morcellation has occurred it could cause upstaging of the cancer. As a result, the FDA has recommending avoiding morcellation in some cases while they they sort through all the information to make a final determination. Not all physicians agree with much of the information available on this topic so it is a complex situation. Though some doctors and some facilities are not allowing for any type of morcellation at this time to err on the extensive side of caution, others are still using it with caution and/or they are cutting the tissue but not with a morcellating tool which is more apt to spread the cells around.
We have created an information page and several articles about it which you can read: Morcellation.

That said, have you gotten a second opinion? That could really help you decide what is right for you. Another doctor could confirm what your current surgeon has shared, or a second doctor could offer you other options or alternatives.

I also suggest you talk to your GP about how the different options could affect your overall health.

Unread 10-30-2014, 01:40 PM

Weiser

Thank you very much for your reply. It has actually helped me feel less panicky about it. I am waiting for an MRI and i will see what the results bring before i make a final decision.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge
Lilyella x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-30-2014, 03:10 PM

I would recommend that you get a second opinion. Most insurance companies support this. I would not want you going into such a serious situation with any trepidation. Many people think it is an insult to seek a second opinion, but a good doctor will encourage it. Don't follow blindly, it's your body and your life!

Good luck to you!
Unread 10-30-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyella9 View Post
Weiser

Thank you very much for your reply. It has actually helped me feel less panicky about it. I am waiting for an MRI and i will see what the results bring before i make a final decision.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge
Lilyella x

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register